Author Topic: SANSOM in Great Somerford - COMPLETED  (Read 2236 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SANSOM in Great Somerford - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 04 December 08 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Israel Palmer born 1735-36, bap. Christian Malford 18/4/1744 married Edward Sansom at Great Somerford 25/10/1759.  To my knowledge they had Betty Sansom
bap. Gt. Somerford 20/7/1760 & William Sansom bap. Gt. Somerford 9/7/1775.

If anyone has access to the Great Somerford parish records I'd be very grateful for more information regarding the baptisms / marriages / burials of the above couple and their family.

I live in Scotland and have no access to the records.

Many thanks,

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SANSOM in Great Somerford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 December 08 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've been checking the IGI as my cds turned up nothing and found the following:

Edward Sanson b. c1734 of Charlton (date/place confirmed in Phillimores) Wiltshire m. Israel Palmer 25 Oct 1759 Great, or Broad Somerford, Wiltshire.  His name is given in another record as Sansom.

Israel is given a birth of c 1738 Great, or Broad Somerford.

Further checks on IGI (at familysearch):
Israel Palmer b. 18 April 1744 Christian Malford.  Parents William Palmer and Rebecca.

In my regs for Christian Malford (Phillimores) I have found William Palmer m. Rebekah Ody lic. 4 Mar 1731.  Also on IGI as 1730/31

Rebbeca Ody chr.4 Jul 1708 parents William Ody and Jeane/Jane Trimmell.  IGI then goes back as follows:

Jane Trimmell chr 18 May 1676 Christian Malford. Parents William Trimmell and Lucy Webb.  Marriage to William Ody 12 Apr 1705.
William Trimmell b.  c 1643, d. 24 Feb  1703/4 Christian Malford.  Parents William Trimmell and Ann.  Marriage to Lucy Webb 25 Jun 1669 Christian Malford.
William Trimmell b 1617 Christian Malford., d. c1671.  Marriage c 1642

Lucy Webb b. 6 Dec 1644 Bromham Wilts, d. 3 Jun 1702 Christian M, burial 7th Jun 1702 CM.  Parents William Webb and Lucy Paradise.

I will leave it at this point as it goes a bit further back to 1500s and you should be able to access IGI (familysearch.org).  I know IGI isn't perfect or complete but it's a good starting point.  Also had a quick look on WorldConnect at rootsweb, just plugged in Lucy Paradise and someone has posted family there including siblings etc so again worth a look

Also check out this site http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/smr/getsmr.php?id=2275 which refers to 'Trimnell's Farm is associated with William Trimmell AD1642.  References in A2A, the government archives site indicates other Trimmells with land in Wilts in 16/1700s so it seems they must have had land and a bit of money!

Hope this is all some help.

Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SANSOM in Great Somerford
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 December 08 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph,

Thanks so much for your reply. 
I already had the info. about the Trimnells & Webbs back to John Paradise, etc, however thanks so much for the additional stuff re. Trimnells Farm which I hadn't come across yet.  I will now contact Wiltshire Archives to see if they can give me more details.  Also the additional stuff about the Paradise family on Rootsweb.  I just wish I was close enough to view the Wiltshire Parish records for Bromham.
I'm descended from Israel Palmer's elder brother William who married Rebecca Ody, a daughter of Jane Trimnell, dau. of William T.  Israel was the only one of William's siblings who married, so I'm keen to find out more of their descendants.  The only children recorded in the IGI are William & Betty Sansom both reg. at Gt Somerford.
If you happen to be looking through that register I'd be eternally grateful if their uis any further refernce to the Sansom family, e.g. more children, Israel's burial and the like.
Again many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.