Author Topic: ".... Of Somerset House."  (Read 3167 times)

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
".... Of Somerset House."
« on: Tuesday 09 December 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Looking for the family of Thomas Pugh and Anne Parry, I find they had 16 children between 1773 and 1798. The first five and last six being baptised in Montgomeryshire, number six was Mary born 1773 of Tamil Nadu, India, but it's the next two that I'm wondering about.
From the IGI, I have John Pugh born 9th Oct 1785 and Evan Pugh 5th Aug 1787, both "of Somerset House, London".

I realise they are 'submitted' entries but I'm wondering what it could mean and where they may have actually been born/baptised.
Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks,
Maurice

Oops, corrected to 1785    ::)

Offline yonderpeasant

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • be with you in a minute
    • View Profile
Re: ".... Of Somerset House."
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Somerset House has 4 pages as an enumeration dietrict in St Mary Le Strand in 1841.There are many households  of individuals with servant type occupations with children so I suppose there is no reason they should not be born there.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Ridgway.  
 Salop.Lancs.Stoke on Trent.
Colclough.Ackley.Adams.Harris.James
 Longton  Stoke on trent Staffs.
Scholes.Collinge
 Middleton Lancs.
Gogerty.Deavonporte
Salop.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »
This website has them all listed as "Trelystan, Montgomeryshire" ! http://www.recyclegen.com/archives/montg_coll/nop/parry.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 15:57 GMT (UK) »
John Pugh born 9th Oct 1875 and Evan Pugh 5th Aug 1787, both "of Somerset House, London".

Hi

I think you mean 1785 rather than 1875 for John!

I don't know the answer, but I'd hazard a guess that somebody has found baptisms long ago in registers then kept at Somerset House, rather than evidence of births or baptisms at Somerset House itself.  (The Evan one doesn't say "Of"; it just says "Somerset House").  

It is notable that Somerset House would still have been a building site at the dates you describe - its construction started in 1775 and continued for the next quarter-century.

I'm afraid I really don't think this sort of submitted entry gives you any useful indication of their likely birthplaces.  But others may have different ideas!

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)