Author Topic: Charles Goulson c1792, Coventry  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Charles Goulson c1792, Coventry
« on: Saturday 13 December 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Evening all

The Goulson surname features quite heavily in my tree, so far connected to the Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Lancashire and Middlesex but today i found a baptism entry in Warwickshire and can't include or exclude it as connected to me.

The IGI has an extracted entry for the baptism,

Charles Goulson, 18 JUN 1792   Saint Michael, Coventry, Warwick, England, parents are Benjamin and Ann.

Most of the male Goulson family use just three or four forenames, Benjamin being one of the most frequent (i have eight chaps by this name already so it is difficult to discount a connection)

Can anyone find anything relating to Charles or his parents at all?

Glen

Offline woofas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Goulson c1792, Coventry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 December 08 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen

Maybe not the answer you were hoping for but - the GULSON family are quite famous in Coventry.  I even went to John Gulson Grammar School!  We have recently been trawling the records around 1800 of St Michael (the cathedral) and Holy Trinity (the other major church in the centre of Coventry) for Barr forefathers and have noticed many Gulson entries.
After a number of false trails, I am always suspicious of any IGI entry and always check with the original record. It is probable that what you have found is simply a mis-reading of Gulson although it is always possible that different vicars heard and therefore spelt the name differently.

Regards
Fred
Sandell (London), Gibson (Northants), Webb (Hants), Morgan (Mons), Taylor, Lorberg & King (all London) Piles (Kent) Hope & Beech (Herefd)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 December 08 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

What drew me to the entry was the mention of Benjamin, a name that appears with alarming regularity in my tree, as you say the transription of the name may well be the reason, they may eventually turn out to be connected in someway but i have to locate a few more folks in the preceding generations.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
There is even a Gulson Road in Stoke, Coventry, known in the 19th century as Brick Kiln Lane.  I believe John Gulson was a mayor of Coventry.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Graham

Always handy to know something about the area for future reference. 

Many of my Goulson family did manage to achieve fame and/or fortune in varied ways, although some were humble ag labs they also boast surgeons in the 1600's, surgical instrument inventors during the 1700's, merchants aligned to varied trades and Commanders of numerous parts of the Royal Armies during WWII.
Finding a name variant who served as a mayor wouldn't be a huge shock.........you never know.

The 1770's to around 1820 is probably the timeframe i need to concentrate on most, from those dates back each generation features just one child, all are direct line ancestors, if i can branch sideways a little then i may discover the truth one day.

Glen

Offline woofas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
A bit more info for you ref John Gulson.  He lived 1813 - 1904.  He was a quaker manufacturer and liberal reformer and was Mayor of Coventry in both 1867 & 1868 (As far as I could see no-one else has ever served two years consecutively)  In 1873 he founded the free library - which was still in use till around 1980 and in 1890 financed the addition of the reference library.

Makes a change from my ag labs!

Fred
Sandell (London), Gibson (Northants), Webb (Hants), Morgan (Mons), Taylor, Lorberg & King (all London) Piles (Kent) Hope & Beech (Herefd)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Goulson born Lincolnshire, 1815-1895, he popped off to America, spent a few months tracking back and forth in a horse drawn wagon, eventually a foundling family of Pescadero, there are a few streets out there named after the family.

Another one born Lincolnshire again, married in Grantham 1884, had a son (John) in Cardiff in 1886, worked as a jeweller/goldsmith then by 1891 was back in Grantham again.

They certainly fill a few hours with interesting research that's for sure.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 December 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Glen
I see you have Lincs Chambers and wonder whether they are Grantham?
My great-grandfather David Morley married for a second time (as widower)June 1924 Grace Chambers who had a ladies wear and haberdashery business in Grantham High St next to Catlin's teashop. I met her sister Alice who survived her when I stayed in Grantham in 1950s.  They lived in Harrowby Lane.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 December 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

My Chambers family are Lincoln City from the early 1800's, prior to that they appear to be Wragby and possibly Tattershall area.

There are a couple of lines i haven't followed through post 1901 and a couple of re-marriages in the very late 1800's in Lincoln that i haven't tried to trace children for.

I often trip over the Chambers from Wellingore, many of the names and dates tally with my lot and cause quite a bit of confusion. My grt g/f is called George, b 1843/4, no baptism found and it doesn't appear he was registered at birth but there are at least eight others for the years transcribed in the IGI and bmd.