Author Topic: Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M  (Read 9504 times)

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Seems like there are different experiences of this establishment. I have no memory at all of being in Roundabouts but I am interested in all the posts anyway which is just as well since I started the ball rolling in the first place :-)

I was put into the home probably when I was about three years old or so. I could have been there for quite a while and it would have been residential as opposed to a nursery experience. The home must have changed it's function as the years went by I think.

Love the photograph by the way. Looks like Muffin the Mule off to the right :-)

K
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline SMG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All and thanks for posting the photo Malcolm - I'm sure there must have been quite a few children who went there as it seems that it had been going for a number of years - we will have to see who else posts messages - thanks for posting this in the first place Karen, I'd forgotten all about it - blocked it out probably, it was such a bad experience for me, and at such a tender age I hated seeing my Nan leave me there!
Shayne.

Offline Chippy61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
Shayne,
I was hoping you were going to identify yourself in the photo! Never mind we will see what transpires as you say. Sad you have such bad memories. I had great fun there and Mum & dad dropped me off whilst they went to work, no problem for me at the time.

Offline Chippy61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
I'm the one on the tractor by the way!

Offline SMG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 April 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
I did wonder which one you were Malcolm!
No sorry - didn't have any photo's taken there, but I still live in Weston.

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 December 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

At some point in the 50's I was put into a home called 'Roundabouts Children's Hotel'. I've managed to find on Ancestry a phone directory listing for 1954 which gave the address as 3 St Paul's Road, Weston-Super-Mare. It sounds as though this may have been a private home and I wondered if anyone either knows of this place or could tell me if/where I could maybe get hold of early records?? Thank you  :)

Regards
Karen

Hello, I know this is 6 years old but I'm hoping you will see my reply. Roundabouts is my home, I've lived here 9 years! We knew that it had been a children's home of some sort,  & later a nursery but we don't know the proper history. We would love to know more about it. We found letters behind a fireplace that had been written in the 50's to children who stayed/lived here. We were told the house has been used during the war to house evacuees but we're not sure if this is correct. Any information you can give would be great, thank you

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 December 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
HI

I (obviously) saw your post as I received an email notifying me of a reply- not a bad service after all these years... you will have to contact others on this thread I am afraid as I know nothing about this place at all. As I said in my original post I only know that I was put there at some point but do not know when, how old I was or for how long I stayed. Others on this thread at least revealed to me where the 'hotel' was and you are living in it :-)  I was going to try and find some records of the home but have failed; not helped by the fact that I know nothing of my own temporary residency. Still, it is fascinating that you have found letters - I would be interested to know more about them as they sound like an amazing find and should probably be preserved for posterity somewhere - you can imagine what importance they would be to the addressees! Good luck in your quest and I would like to know if you ever find out more; I think we all would :-)

Cheers, Karen (Francis)   
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply, I understand you have no recollections of your time here but I was wondering if you knew why you were here? From the letters/postcards we have it seems as though it may have been somewhere children were sent when their parents were unable to look after them, possibly due to illness. Does that sound familiar to you? We've just been looking at the deeds and it shows that the house was turned into a 'children's hotel' in 1951. It wasn't a nursery until the mid 60's and was turned back into a home in 1994.

Regards Sara

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Glad you found it!  Living 12 000 miles away I use googlemap a lot for looking at my ancestors' residences and I'm surprised how many are still there, especially, of course, village houses etc.  In Australia and US googlemap also shows street views so you can see exactly what the place looks like - very handy.

Best wishes, Judith

Hi Judith,

Do you have a connection to my house, formerly Roundabouts in St. Paul's road, Weston- super-Mare? I am trying to find out more about it's history. It is not on the seafront, you are correct about that!

Thanks