Author Topic: How old are these people?  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How old are these people?
« on: Thursday 18 December 08 12:37 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hello everyone,
I am writing up the story of my aunt and uncle.  Alfred Leslie Dobson, born 1907 and Mabel Jane Brant born 1911 both in England.

Can someone have a try at dating this photo?  I thought maybe it was in 1936 when his wife Mabel joined him in Australia but I think they look a little mature to be 29 and 25 respectively.  Then it occured to me that it could have been when he returned from the war in 1946 - ages 39 and 35.  But he doesn't look as though he has been interned in Changi or worked on the Burma Railway for 5 years!

In fact my OH has just commented on how confident he looks cigarette in mouth, hand in pocket and a definite swagger!

Any opinions welcome,
Abiam  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: How old are these people?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abiam,

Do you know where the photo could have been taken?  There is a vessel with a name across the stern in background, but I cannot read that name.  Perhaps this vessel could help date the photo.

Also, I think your lady has "nylon" stockings - finer denier - I think first introduced by US servicemen on R & R during WW2 and then the Aussie shops imported these "nylons" sometime post 1946.

I think the couple are walking towards some close friends/family who know them both fairly well, so perhaps not a photo taken when Mabel migrated.  To me, she already recognised who she was walking towards.

Sorry, I cannot offer any further help on this occasion.

Cheers,

MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 08 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ma,
Like you I think it is at a dockyard with a large ship in the back ground.  Nylon stockings? Possibly a good clue.  If it was after the war she looks to be fairly smart.  And she has a hat!  I agree it looks as though she has recognized someone. 
Any other opinions very welcome,
Abiam
PS As to where, probably Port Adelaide they lived near Adelaide from 1936 until there deaths in 1992 and 1997

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 08 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abiam,

And she has two jackets on - perhaps at least gets to a season, but not the year, or the hemisphere.  Re nylons, before WW2 in Aust (my 95 year old cousin spoke about this to me yesterday) the girls wore stockings that were knitted, and nylons were not introduced until after war.  Knitted as in "heavy" and "not see through".   

I will ask more info when our families catch up with each other around Boxing Day, but will not have access to Internet until about mid Jan 09.

Hope other rootschatters have advanced the thread by then.

Cheers,

MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 08 15:04 GMT (UK) »

The both probably look surprised as street photographers were often around in the 40's/50's. I have a couple of examples of this in N.Z. and England. You purchased the photo after.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 08 15:56 GMT (UK) »
The second ship/boat? Can anyone read the name? I see something similar to WOOLY.

Victoria

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 December 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
He returned from Singapore in October 1946.  I see the two jackets on Mabel also Les is wearing a vee neck sweater under his suit!  I wonder when suits like that were fashionable as he was a natty dresser as a young man.  The following picture was taken in Adelaide when he was 21/22,

I' m afraid I can't see any of the writing on the ship.  I also think the street photographer quite likely.  I don't think they were seasoned travellers only coming over to England once or twice in the sixties,
Thank you for your thoughts,
Abiam

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 08 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I agree with the date being post-war...late 40s probably.

The boat in the background looks for all the world like a Sydney ferry!  I can't read the name, but the shape and apparent colouring look very similar.  I wonder if they could be at Circular Quay?

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 December 08 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Maybe that says 'MANLY' then?

Victoria