Author Topic: Donaghadee lookups?  (Read 23734 times)

Offline smalexson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donaghadee lookups?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 July 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone is still volunteering to do lookups?  Any information on Arthur Boyes (Boyce) and Sarah Johnson would be great.  They were spirit dealers in Donaghadee.   I am looking for his parents names?  His father I think is John Boyes, mother uniknown.  Any help would be great.
Thank you,
Regards,
Shirley

Offline speedwobble

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 July 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley
Here is a link to the Ros Davies County Down web page for the name Boyes - Boyce.  There is quite a bit of info on the family.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BouBoy.htm

I notice that Margaret Boyce (Arthurs daughter) married a John Campbell in 1847.  It looks like we may be related in some distant way as I am researching the Campbell family from Donaghadee and I am also a John Campbell.

Best of luck with the search.
John

Offline smalexson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 July 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Thank you for your speedy reply.  I have a copy of the extract of entry in the register of marriages from emerald ancestors.  John Campbell who married Margaret Boyes (Boyce) was a seaman and his father also John Campbell was a seaman.  Ros Davies site is great, a treasure trove of information.   Good luck in your search.
Regards,
Shirley

Offline Henry Hume

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
I see that a Joseph Boyce was schoolmaster in Warren Road Donaghadee National School 3 in 1884. (Belfast and Ulster Street Directory)

I am trying to find something on a John Stewart or (Stuart) who was schoolmaster there before Mr Boyce.

Born 1844
Married   Maria Kelly in Newtowncrommelin Pres. Church  1865
Living in Ballyvestor  1866 when first child Martin was born 26 May
A daughter Elizabeth was also born there.
In August 1871  John Stewart's wife registers the birth of a son at Newtowncrommelin.   He is named John for the father  and he is baptised there in October of that year. She gives her mother's address as her residence.

I have been unable to find out what happened to the father    and would like to know if  he
was the Mr Stewart referred to as schoolmaster of the Warren Road National school  up to 1880 in the Street Directory.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
Street directories eg 1877 and 1880 http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ show
New National School (No. 3), Warren Road - Mr. Stewart, teacher
Mary Lennon next youngest directory is 1860 I didn’t find the Stewarts.

PRONI website has a street directory data collection for other dates, do use it.

Griffiths Valuation data particularly on the askireland website in 1863, has 3 John Stewarts living nearby, one in DRUMFAD townland in position 11 on page, another in position 12 on same page  of these one is John Jr and renting from John Sr,  the third lives in in BALLYRAWER townland . this site could be showing the homestead boundaries of each tenant.

Tombstones exist in the neighbourhood, for example below are index entries to Bill Cardwell photos of tombstones which don’t often catch the full wording available. The full transcribed wording is available elsewhere Clarke, E. R. R. publications at UHF et al.. or Tombstones in Ulster.
Bill has given me permission to publish all or just extracts of my index to his resources
Steward Anne   Templepatrick Graveyard, Miller Hill, Donaghadee   www.graves2.homecall.co.uk/Templepatrick
Stewart A   Donaghadee Parish Headstones   www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Donaghadee
Stewart A   St. Andrew's, Killyman, Tyrone   www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/Tyronegraves/KillymanParish
Stewart Al   Templepatrick Graveyard, Miller Hill, Donaghadee   www.graves2.homecall.co.uk/Templepatrick
Stewart D   Bangor Abbey selection   www.graves.homecall.co.uk/BangorAbbey
Stewart E   Donaghadee Parish Headstones   www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Donaghadee
Stewart E    Ballycopeland Graveyard, Images not complete   www.graves.homecall.co.uk/Ballycopeland/index.htm
Stewart F    Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,   www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Stewart J    Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,   www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Stewart M   Bangor Abbey selection   www.graves.homecall.co.uk/BangorAbbey
I assume the Ballywalter one might be of interest, but is very difficult to read

PRONI  or National archives Dublin may have the school annual  reports, inspections, , memoirs and more etc 

do try Rose Davies famous website freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/ Ros Davies allows copy and paste but not for commercial purposes atall
do look at John STEWART . Ballywalter  son of Adam Stewart ; aged 21 married Jane Niblock 27 Sep 1851 CR, John STEWART - Donaghadee husband of Jane Rutherford; father of Thomas b. 9 May 1865 & Eliza Jane b. 15 Nov 1868 CR
John STEWART .  Donaghadee husband of Ann Beckett; father of Mary b. 9 Sep 1870 & Margaret b. 3 Jul 1872 CR.  John STEWART . Donaghcloney son of Robert Stewart ; aged 22 married Ann McConnell 24 Oct 1851 CR
printout her townland map of Donaghadee if you don’t have it or know the area
good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 September 10 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Henry, during ww2 i was evacuated twice from Belfast, once to Ballycastle in the early summer of 1941/2 and then by autumn to some kind distant relative a Miss Williams living in Ballywilliam on the Warren road. I walked each day along this seaside road into north Donaghdee where i went to the primary school for a year or less. That road during stormy weather had waves blowing up and crashing down onto it, sweeping across it to its far pavement or path. I remember being scared stiff by the force of it all and later the fun of judging when the next wave struck and running along the road as the water drained away, just before the next one struck. My memory of the school and teachers is nil, which means it was good as my belfast private school was run by a sadist, and that memory remains. Years later i volunteered while working at the Linenhall library Belfast to do an exhibition of books etc about Donaghadee. It was Pay back time and it was my best exhibition. Does that make me a  blowin?
Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline elderone1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 October 13 20:42 BST (UK) »
This reply is in specific reference to Reply #12.

The data matches in part the marriage of a John Stuart to a Maria Kelly on April 22 1865 at Newtowncrommelin Presbyterian Church. This John Stuart is a school teacher, and the entry for place of residence at time of marriage is Limavallachon......Dunaghy. They seem to be two different places for whatever reason: Dunaghy is in Ballymoney. The other word may refer to Limavallaghan Road, between Clough and Newtown Crommelin.

My real interest is your reference to Maria Kelly giving her mother's address at the time of the birth of one of her children. Does that reference include the name of her mother? This specific Maria's father was  my 3rd Great Grandfather, David Kelly, and at the time of the family's registration in that church (March 1863), the entry reads "David Kelly, Mrs. Kelly and Maria Kelly". The name of Mrs. Kelly has so far eluded us. If I may also ask, what form is the identification of the address of Maria's mother? We may be able to match it up with known (leased) property I.D.s in the area. It is of interest that the two children are named John and Elizabeth, as we suspect Mrs. Kelly's name was Elizabeth too.

As for John, while we may be reviewing two distinct people and families, there is the possibility that he worked where he could, and his wife and children remained for a period in the company of Maria's mother. I have been told that Stuart is the traditional Catholic spelling, but people did change their names or spelling for all sorts of social reasons. Is it possible that this John Stuart and the long-serving Headmaster of the school built in Newtown Crommelin in 1888, the distinguished John Stewart, were one and the same person?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 October 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Limavallachon......Dunaghy. They seem to be two different places for whatever reason: Dunaghy is in Ballymoney. The other word may refer to Limavallaghan Road, between Clough and Newtown Crommelin.

Limavallachon was more than likely the writer's variant spelling of Limavallaghan, which was a townland in Dunaghy parish. Whereas Dunaghy, the townland, was in Ballymoney parish.

The 1851 census for Limavallaghan townland is one that survived:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawthorne/Antrim5104.html

though no Stuart/Stewart or Kelly in the townland at that time.

Apparently a Helen Gillespie was wife of the John Stewart, school master Newtoncromellin:

see reply #2 at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=300464

which seems to matche with this 1901 census (albeit ignore location/transcription errors):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Crumlin/Village_of_Newtown_Crumlin/929934/

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline elderone1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 October 13 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you ScotMum. That information means ends my speculation that the two John Stuart/Stewarts are the same person.
Back to the real search.....what is Maria Kelly's mother first name?