Author Topic: Any info on Benjamin Ray, Comedian?  (Read 8247 times)

Offline moom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any info on Benjamin Ray, Comedian?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
Yes, I thought you would be surprised by the information I have now received, I have a lot of info to organise for my files. I will be looking them up on the 1911 census when I have got this lot in order. You have all been so helpful and it has turned out very interesting for me.
The death of Benjamin Ray 1914 Chorlton looks like the correct one as well!
Best wishes, Janet

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

To send a PM look to the bottom left hand corner of any posts that I have made and you should see a little greenish scroll thingy.  Click on that and it should open up the PM system.    If you are struggling then I will send you one and you can just reply.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline buckingproc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 February 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Only just found this post.
My gt gt grandfather was Benjamin Ray, Comedian. However I am a bit confused as he did not have a daughter called Marie but did have one called Minnie.
best wishes
buckingproc

Offline moom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 February 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, good to hear from you.
My G G Grandfather James Buckley's son William (my G Grandfather) had a younger sibling called John Buckley who was born 1870 Salford, Lancashire. He married a Mariam Blanche Ray (Minnie Ray) in 1888 at St Stephens, Salford. Minnie was born in 1872 Liverpool. They had 1 daughter, Isabella Blanche Ray Born 1893 Burton Upon Trent. Their daughter was brought up by my g g grandparents James & Isabella Buckley. This I now know was because of the constant moving around with her performance.
It is definitely the same family and I would love to know if you have further information and maybe even some photos!
Best wishes, Janet

Offline buckingproc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 February 09 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet

Sorry but I do not have any photos of the Ray family and the information I have is from the census records which you have already.

Being performers the family are elusive to say the least.  I still haven’t been able to find them on the 1871 census after researching the family for the last three years.

Will keep you informed if I ever find out anymore.

buckingproc

Offline moom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 February 09 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Which sibling of Minnie's is your direct ancestor? I don't know if it is of interest to you, but I will give you the marriage details of Minnie and John as I copied them from M/cr central library.

The parish church of St. Stephen's, Salford, Lancashire - 4th April 1888.
John Buckley - 21 - Bachelor - Pawnbroker - 10 Kersley Street.
Father: James Buckley, Pawnbroker.
Mariam Blanche Ray - 18 - Spinster - 7 Cottage Street.
Father: Benjamin Ray, Comedian
Witnesses: John William Ingham & Jennie Ingham (all signed)

Also, if you PM me with your email address, I will forward the article (with pic) that Mo sent me of Minnie's clog dancing triumph!

Have had another look for them on the 1871c, but I don't think they could have registered that year as they would have probably been in lodgings and just didn't bother.

Best Wishes, Janet

Offline B Steve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I have enjoyed reading all the above details, having recently discovered that Benjamin Ray's sister Amelia was a direct ancestor of my daughter-in-law.

Regards, Steve

Offline lancashireorigins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was researching my husbands tree, and found that his ancestor Herbert Dyson Seddon married widow Mary Stewart Hamilton in Chorlton on Medlock in 1894. I was struggling to find any information about Mary, as she doesn't seem to appear in any census's before or after her marriage to Herbert. Herbert Dyson Seddon records himself as married in 1901 and 1911, but does not live with his wife!!I believe  she was in the Music Hall business.So I decided to look for the witnesses to their wedding, their witnesses sign themselves as Ben Ray and Louisa Ray, I am convinced this is Benjamin Ray b1836 in Shoreditch, London and his wife Louisa, also in the entertainment business! Although he was born in London, he does live in Manchester. I have looked at their census records and in 1891 and 1901, they live only a couple of streets away from Mary Stewart Hamilton's address recorded on the marriage certificate. I presume that Ben (Benjamin) Ray and his wife Louisa are friends of Mary Stewart Hamilton, her father was Alexander Stewart, Contractor (of What?) deceased, is the only other information I have. I have also looked for Mary Stewart's marriage to ?? Hamilton again nothing. I would be grateful for any information regarding Mary 'Stewart','Hamilton', 'Seddon',? and her possible career in music hall with the famous Ray family. Information I found regarding the Ray family was that Benjamin and his daughter Minnie were Clog dancing champions, Ben was a negro impersonator. Ben's sons were the 'Brothers Ray'
Carol

Offline chrismwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 May 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have come across this historic post and would wish to enquire if any further information on the family has come to light.
I am particularly interested in Benjamin RAY's daughter Florence Eugine RAY born 1868 in Sandgate Elham Kent who married Firth WOOD (an ancestor of mine) on 11 June 1890 at St Mark's Dewsbury Yorkshire WR but who disappears from the records after 1895 (where she was listed as a witness at her Brother in Law's marriage). The January 09 post below, 1891 census, implies she may have remarried a Thomas TAYLOR but I can find no GRO references and also predates the 1895 reference above. Firth also remarried in 1902.
In respect of the last post I believe Ben died 1914Q1 in Chorlton Lancashire
Any help on this family appreciated