Author Topic: Eleack??? Northumberland  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Kappalyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eleack??? Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara  so much for your help.  :D
I found another of of my ancient rels in the transcripts (actually it was the baptism of William & Marys daughter Margaret's, future husband!!)
And yes William and Mary are in Bebington Cheshire in 1841 and their oldest child is 6 so I guess they may have married about 1834 +/-
Margaret
Reynallt
Sharp,
Trevanion

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

That's great, so a posting on the Cheshire board for parish lookups would help - hopefully someone will be able to find the marrriage for you and births of the older children

Best wishes
Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 January 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
If this is a mishearing of Elswick, then the parish would be St John's Newcastle.  The Bishop's transcripts for the parish are on line via the Family Search free web site. A brief examination turned up;
Sept 1795 bapt of William so William Sharp labourer and Hannah born 28th May 1795
Jan 1797 bapt of William so John Sharp labourer and Anne born Jan 4th 1794
bapt together with dau Eliz born May 1796
Hope this helps
Peter

Offline Kappalyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 January 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter, I can see i am going to be spending a lot of time going through the transcripts. :)
But it will be interesting because from what i can see from the census, there were a number of Sharps in Northumberland.  Alnwick is another place which maybe/could be??? mistacken for Elsack and there were quite a few Sharps there.
Margaret  :-\
Reynallt
Sharp,
Trevanion

Offline Kappalyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 January 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Well have just gone through Bishops transcripts for Alnwick and no Sharps there.  So maybe it is Elswick and the ones you found are my Sharps!! :D
Margaret
Reynallt
Sharp,
Trevanion

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
It just occurred to me that Elwick, Northumberland is in the Bamboroughshire district, the focus of operations by a noted series of Sharps, high ranking clergymen and leading trustees of the Lord Crewe charity based on Bamborough castle. Elwick was the original seat of the Younghusband family but most of them in Victorian times were Generals or Admirals and domiciled elsewhere.  Did William Sharp become a shipowner by service at sea from a poor background or as a merchant investor of inherited money?

Offline Kappalyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 January 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
I really don't know anything about William's background except from the census his wife was from Ruabon Wales. According to the 1841 census he was a merchant. I do know they obviously moved in the more affluent circles as their daughter Margaret (my ggrandmother) married a "gentleman".  As far as I can tell the other children i have traced also married into middle class families eg solicitors, merchants, etc. But I don't know much about the English class system of the time.  How easy was it to move from lower class to middle class?
Unfortunately I don't know where he was married. The 1841 census does not seem completely accurate as it indicates he was not born in England which obviously contradicts the 1851.  But it also indicates his son Frederick was also not born in England which may indicate he married elsewhere (maybe Wales) and his son was born there before they moved to Tranmere.
Thank you for all your help.
 :)
Reynallt
Sharp,
Trevanion

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 January 09 23:15 GMT (UK) »

On 1841 census   N = Not born in THIS County

Y = Yes , born in THIS County.

etc

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Kappalyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 January 09 05:01 GMT (UK) »
 ::) Oh...how silly of me!!  Guess I didn't read it closely enough.  Still that does help a bit, since it tells me Frederick was not born in Cheshire.
I cannot find any sign of him or his brother Alfred after 1841 census.  They don't seem to be listed in the deaths in Cheshire 1841-1851 and they don't appear in the 1851 census.
What age did young recruits go into the navy? (I'm guessing navy because his father was involved in shipping)
Margaret
Reynallt
Sharp,
Trevanion