Author Topic: Mary Moir (Muir) married James Fargie in 1803 Dalgety  (Read 5705 times)

Offline Tinapaul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Moir (Muir) married James Fargie in 1803 Dalgety
« on: Saturday 14 February 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have got as far as Mary Moir (Muir) marrying James Fargie in 1803 @ Dalgety Church.

Have seen on trees that Mary's Mother was Montgomerie Jap and father Thomas Muir......but I have tried everywhere to get confirmation of this.....is their anyone who has this information as I feel I'm hitting a very hard brick wall.

Many Thanks

Tina

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Moir (Muir) married James Fargie in 1803 Dalgety
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
welcome to RC!!

if you go to top of page and search and hen put in the name Montgomerie Jap  /fife and hit search button at bottom you will find previous details of this family and the searchers.

best of luck.  Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Tinapaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have now found that my Mary Moir (Muir, More) from Dalgetty who married James Fargie from Dalgetty parent's where not Thomas Muir and Montgomery Jap.....their daughter married Archibald Penman and both lived and died in Dalgetty.

Back to the drawing board to find my Mary's mum n dad.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 09 12:39 GMT (UK) »
ok. if you need help post what you have / need and we will try our best (which is usually pretty good!!!!

Diddy  8)
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Winalape

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 09 02:24 BST (UK) »
Mary Moir married James Fargie  in Dalgetty on the 14 August 1803. It was a "irregular marriage" perhaps because she was pregnant with John born 17 October 1803 Muiravonside.  Mary was born in Ireland or England not Scotland as was first thought and definitely not to Montgomorie Jap. :)
Code: [Select]
:)On the 1841 Census Mary is a 55 year old head of the house in Morningside. She is living with her youngest daughter Janet 15 years born 1822 after her sister Janet born 1813 died. Where born is N for Scotland and a tick for England or Ireland. According to the Scottish birth pattern, her father could have been Andrew or William and mother Margaret. I am still looking at this possiblility. According to the 1841 Census she was born about 1786. James Fargie died 1841 at Morningside and Mary Fargie nee Moir died on the 15 February 1849 Cannan House Morningside Scotland.James was gardener here up till his death when his second oldest son James took over. This James  died  on the 28 May 1878 Edinburgh Scotland. This James married Janet Colvin. My line was the eldest son John Fargie born as was James as Forgie both in Muiravonside Scotland not far from Dalgetty. My John also a gardener married Janet Lumgair & migrated to Australia as a gardener in Geelong.
I hope this clears up a bit more of this family. I do have some certificates if people are interested in them as well as the will of Mary Fargie nee Moir and James & Mary's marriage record.

Offline Tinapaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Winalape

Many Thanks for the info.

Can't seem to find Mary or Janet on the 1841 census....how is their second name spelt as there is a lot of variations of Fargie.

I love this woman...what a mystery.

I have a copy of the will and marriage cert.

I also have both Mary and James death certs...Mary died of disease of the Liver on the 15 Feb 1849 in Borough - Muir - Head, Edinburgh - this is morningside...she died a Washerwoman. Mary died at the age of 64 which means she was born abt 1785/6.

James died 16 Oct 1827, Cannan Lodge, Edinburgh ...on the death cert it has he died of fluse (unknown what that is) and died at the age of 47.

Her name on certs that I have seen is either Moir or More.

My line is ......my Great Grandma was Euphemia Fargie (married George Wilson Preston) who was the daughter of James Fargie and Euphemia Haldane Sutherland, James parents where William Fargie and Elizabeth Mowbray and Williams was James Fargie and Mary Moir/More.

Offline Winalape

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tinapaul,
I am winalape. It was so great to have your contact.
I am descended from John the first baby of James Fargie (Forgie) and Mary Moir born 1803 Muiravonside. I live in Australia. John was the first Fargie to Australia. His brother Thomas, the schoolteacher came to Australia after John died in about 1857. He married in Australia Martha Ford and they had one child who died in infancy. He was a teacher in Geelong. John his brother was a Hotelkeeper in Geelong. The name of the hotel was the Governor Hotham. His wife Janett Fargie nee Lumgair stayed on at the hotel and made it into a boarding house. Have lots of information to share with you. I didn't have your information. I only had that James was born 4 April 1830 St Cuthberts Edinburgh Scotland.
warm wishes
Lyn

Offline joydmaine11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 16 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am a descendant from James Fargie (1781) and Mary Moir. Their son William Fargie (1806) is my GGGF. His son William (1835) had a son Robert (1866) and his son David (1904) is my grandfather.
Is anyone related to James, William(s) or Robert at all?
I would appreciate any information anyone would have on the Fargie Family.
Thank you, Joy

Offline Tinapaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

Just got a message from Lyn today to say you come from the James Fargie / Mary Moir line.

My bloodline comes down from their son William who married  Elizabeth Moubray,

My GGF was their son James (born 1830) who married Euphemia Haldane Sutherland - their daughter Euphemia Fargie (born 1864) was my Gt Grandma who married George Preston.

Regards

Tina