Author Topic: Baptism William Gibson  (Read 3064 times)

Offline CHW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptism William Gibson
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find the baptism for William Gibson.  William born about 1789 Essex.  Living in Althorne at time of marriage to Jane Robinson in 1814 (All Saints Edmonton).  Jane was the daughter of the Rev John Robinson vicar of Althorne and Rector of Creeksea.  William appears with his family in Greensted juxta Ongar born about 1789 Essex.  He died at Greensted in 1846.  Susannah Heard Gibson married Thomas Abbott 1815 Althorne, a witness was Reginald Gibson.  Susannah appears on the 1851 Census and says born Hadleigh Essex about 1792.  Reginald appears on 1861 census bc 1793 Hadleigh Essex.  Are Susannah and Reginald brother and sister of William.  Was William born in Hadleigh.

Hilary
 :)

Offline frogprincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism William Gibson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Hilary
I am a decendant of William Gibson and Jane Robinson. I am also a decendant of Philip Wode.
I am also trying to research the family but I have several holes, and from your posts that I have read, you are further in the searching than I am. In one post, you mention the name Dorothy as the wife of John Robinson (parents of Jane). Can I ask how you found out her name.
I have had very little success in my research, but thanks to this website, I now know more.
 I have purchased several BDM certificates here in Brisbane, with regards to the family. If you are interested, I can share what I have with you.
Regards
Pamela
Robinson, Gibson, Cooper, Wode, Dickson, Brookes, Steel, Wiltshire, Nelson, Moore, Nilsson, Abplanalp, Dallenbach

Offline CHW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Pamela
You are related to my husband Arthur Wode and we live in Canberra.  I have been doing family history on both sides of our family for a number of years. 

The Gibson/Robinson family that I have so far:
William Gibson married Jane Robinson 26 Sep 1814 All Saints Edmonton, Charles Gibson a witness don't know what relation if any to William.  William and Jane had 10 children all born in Essex.  You probably have this information already.

William Gibson died 19 Jan 1846 at Greenstead juxta Ongar Essex.  Don't know anymore about William but he appears on the 1841 Census at Greenstead Essex and it says he is born in the county so he was probably born in Essex.  Other possible related Gibsons may be Susannah Heard Gibson who married Thomas Abbott in Althorne in 1815.  A witness to her marriage was Reginald Gibson.  I have found both Susannah and Reginald on Censuses and both where born in Hadleigh Essex.
Jane Gibson died 31 Oct 1866 Dartford Kent was buried 6 Nov 1866 Greenstead juxta Ongar Essex.  There was a notice of Jane's death in the London Times that gives the information about her father Reverend John Robinson of Creeksea and Althorne.

Robinson family
I have just received Jane's baptism from Rootschat.  Jane Robinson baptised 6 Oct 1792 Old St George Stalybridge, Lancashire daughter of Reverend John Robinson and his wife Dorothy.
John was the curate of Stalybridge from 1790, he then moved to Brightwell Baldwin, Oxfordshire about 1794 where there daughter Hannah was born and baptised 4 Jun 1794.  Hannah died 26 Jun 1808 Althorne and is buried with her mother at Creeksea in the Chancel of the church.
Other Robinson children:
Thomas Robinson born 18 Jul 1796 Brightwell Baldwin.  Son of John Robinson, no mother mentioned.
John Robinson born 11 Sep 1797 Maldon Essex and baptised 12 Sep 1797 All Saints with St Peter Maldon
Dorothy Jemima Robinson born Dec 1798 Maldon  baptised 28 Dec 1798 All Saints & St Peter
Grace Robinson born 28 Jun 1800 Maldon baptised 28 Jun 1800 All Saints etc died 29 Jun 1800 Maldon and buried 4 Jul 1800 All Saints Creeksea in chancel
William Buck Robinson born 3 Sep 1801 Maldon baptised 4 Sep 1801 All Saints died 16 Feb 1802 Maldon buried 22 Feb 1802 Creeksea
Henry Robinson born 5 Jun 1804 Maldon baptised 5 Jun 1804 All Saints died 29 Sep 1804 buried 4 Oct 1804 All Saints Creaksea.
Only three of John and Dorothy's children survived childhood.
Dorothy Robinson died 7 Nov 1804 at Edmonton Middlesex aged 35 years 2 months and was buried 15 Nov 1804 All Saints Creeksea.
Reverend John Robinson died 25 Oct 1824 Althorne Essex aged 57 years and 10 months. Buried All Saints Creeksea in the Chancel with the rest of the family 1 Nov 1824.  He was the Vicar of Althorne 16 years  and Rector of Creeksea for 29 years.
I have the Reverend John Robinson's Will.

John was the son of John Robinson and his wife Hannah.  John was born 20 Dec 1766 and baptised 4 Jan 1767 St Mary Marylebone.  He went to Oxford University and obtained a BA and MA.
John had a brother Joshua born 1770 who was a Church of England minister also.  Joshua's son Charles Shackelford Robinson married Dorothy Jemima Robinson, daughter of John and Dorothy 14 Feb 1825 St Olave Southwark.

Haven't found the marriage of John Robinson to Dorothy.

John Robinson, the father of John and Joshua, died 13 Sep 1817 Chapel Place Edmonton aged 84.  He is buried in Edmonton as are Joshua and his son Charles Shackelford Robinson.  I have the Will of John Robinson Snr.

Hope this lot gives you a bit of information to go on with.

The baptisms for the Robinson children I obtained when I visited the Essex Record Office many years ago.  Most of the Wills I purchased online through the PRO site.  The National Library here in Canberra has the London Times on film so I have been able to get death and other information. 

As to the Gibson family the two elder sons, John Robinson Gibson and William Henry Gibson gave the family some trouble.  John was sent to jail for 18 months for embezzlement in 1861, I found this information in the London Times.  William Henry was sent to Tasmania for forgery he commited in 1849.  He arrived in  in 1852.  He changed his name to William Henry Gordon.  His is a very interesting story.  I was in contact with a couple of his descendents a few years ago. 

Regards

Hilary

Offline frogprincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary
Thank you so much for that information. I knew when William and Jane were married and that they had 10 children, but all that information about the Robinsons is new to me.
I also knew about the embezzler but not the forger. Do you know what happened to John Robinson Gibson? I tracked him in the Census until 1871 and his wife to 1881. She died in 1884. I would be interested to know what happened to him.
It seems that the family that stayed in England became lawyers and doctors. It is interesting to see what happened to all the different families.
I am processing all the information that you gave me into my database. I use Legacy, as well as Ancestry.
I have a copy of Rev John Robinson's will. Could I please have a copy of John Robinson Sr's will.
I have death certificates for William Gibson and his wife Jane. If you would like copies, I am happy to share. They don't have much information unlike Aussie certificates....
I also have the Baptism, Marriage and Death  certificates of Jane Wode nee Gibson if you want them.
Best Regards
Pamela

Robinson, Gibson, Cooper, Wode, Dickson, Brookes, Steel, Wiltshire, Nelson, Moore, Nilsson, Abplanalp, Dallenbach

Offline CHW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Pamela

John Robinson Gibson moved to Cornwall and changed his name to John Robinson.  He appears on the
1881 Census as follows:
30 Richmond Hill Kenwyn Cornwall
William Lameston, Head, widower, age 65, Tailor, born Truro Cornwall
Ellen Lameston, Daughter, unm, Schoolmistress, born Truro Cornwall
John Robinson, Boarder, widower, age 66, Retired Solicitor, born Althorne Essex
John Robinson buried 2 Apr 1885 Kenwyn Cornwall age 70.  Of Richmond Hill

The burial was found on Cornwall OPC.
The 1881 census available on IGI site and Ancestry.co.uk

I will need to know your address to post a copy of the will of John Robinson Snr.

Must dash, off to the hairdresser.  Keep in touch

Hilary
Canberra