Author Topic: CHILDS of Melbury Osmond  (Read 18109 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CHILDS of Melbury Osmond
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for Samuel Childs born c1748 who married Mary Elford in 1775; and David Childs born c1742 who married Mary Wellman in 1763. I believe David and Samuel could be brothers but cannot trace their origins. Their children were born in Melbury Osmond. Samuel's son Samuel born in 1774 married Elizabeth daughter of David born 1779, I am assuming they were cousins.

There are many Childs' families in the area but I have been unable to connect the earlier ones.

Has anyone got any info?

Kelly  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CHILDS of Melbury Osmond
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly
I was wondering if you had ever come across a Grace Childs born 1779 Melbury Osmond - Im trying to work out her parents as far as I know they were William and Ann.
Thanks ever so much
Marian

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marian,

I have tried to "map out" all the Childs of Melbury Osmond but haven't had much success in linking them together but believe most to be related somehow! I see Grace as the daughter of William and Ann, along with 8 (or 10) other siblings. Have you seen the Dorset OPC online? They have births, marriages and burials for Melbury Osmond as well as the 1801 census, which William and Ann are in. I've found it really helpful. If you want the web address let me know I can send it, or just type in Dorset Online Parish Clerks into your browser and you should find it easily.

I can't find a marriage for William and Ann so they must have married in another parish, perhaps Ann was from elsewhere? I wonder if William might be connected to my Samuel as their children were born around the same time but I don't know. They are a confusing lot!

If you find out more I'd be interested to hear about it as I'm keen to piece them all together. According to an English relative of mine, the parish clerk at Melbury Osmond mentioned that there were about 2 early Childs families that came to the village so you might assume a connection between them all.

Best of luck,

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes Ive looked at various sites, and like you feel there must be a connection somewhere - one day we might figure it out.
Ill have a look at some of my notes and see if Ive got anything that might help you.
thanks again and I will definitely get back to you if I find anything of interest.
happy hunting
Marian

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marian,

I've been searching Melbury Bubb records on the Dorset OPC site and thought this might interest you - William Childs married Ann Hardy 26 Jan 1779 (in time for your Grace baptised December?) - seems a very likely possibility. I saw a few Hardy's in earlier records for that parish, but haven't looked properly.

Hope that is useful!

Kelly  :)

Offline Iris B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kelly and Marian

I have quite a lot of information about the Childs of Melbury Osmond. I have stayed in Melbury Omond several times and used the records at Dorchester Local History Centre.

Grace Childs b.1779 was the oldest child of William baptized 12 Feb 1749. Their second child was Henry - the only boy - they had six other daughters. Henry was my husband's 3x great-grandfather. Grace married William Rowlison who was coachman to Lord Ilchester of Melbury House. William was the son of Joseph Childs b.1703 and Mary Hurlstone. Their daughter Maria married John Sweatman and their granddaughter Jemima Hand was the mother of Thomas Hardy!

I have various David and Samuels - it seemed to be a popular family name - but not born in the years Kelly mentions. I will look further at what I have.

The earliest Childs (Chyles) were in Melbury Osmond before 1635 and it would seem that most of the village were descended from them in one way or another.

I have masses of information on the Childs and Melbury Osmond which I would be only too happy to share with you.

Iris

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 09 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Iris,

So pleased to read your message and find someone with a considerable knowledge of this family! Thank you for offering to share what you have, I am very interested in what you found, I have been working on all the Childs but only having access to information that is online is very limiting and I've had trouble piecing them all together. My David and Samuel seem to appear from nowhere as I can find no records of baptisms from that time (but that could be due to gaps in online records) and so assumed them to be from another parish, but am thinking that they must have a family connection to each other and other Childs in Melbury Osmond of the same generation.

Would you be happy to get a private message from me and I will give you my email address?

Thanks,

Kelly.  :)

Offline Iris B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 09 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly

I'm new to RootsChat - your message was my initiation. I would be only too pleased to send you a personal e-mail - but I don't know how that works - so I''l leave it to you.

I have found the Childs of Melbury Osmond interesting and almost obsessive - there are so may of them and they have gone on to lead quite diverese lives.

Please let me have your e-mail address.

Regards
Iris

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Iris,

I tried sending one earlier, I'm not sure if you received it, and you would likely get an email to let you know about the message so if that hasn't come then perhaps I was unsuccessful. I'll try another one!

Thanks,

Kelly.