Author Topic: Spooner marriage look up  (Read 20191 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spooner marriage look up
« Reply #45 on: Monday 12 October 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Evan,

Yes, I would agree that this looks very likely to be your Spooner family who disappears from England and turns up in the USA. Dates seem to all fit in nicely too.

There are several "Spooner" threads here on rootschat (I think all started by me  ;)) - I think if you read through them you will be able to work out where your friend's Ralph fits in, and also give you a good outline of a family tree.

On the dark bar at the top of the page you will see "Home" "Forum" etc ... if you click on "Search", you can enter the surname Spooner and in the "by user" box put my name (Ruskie). This will take you to all the threads related to these families.

There are quite a lot of us researching this family so tell your friend he has loads of distant cousins.  :)

Let me know if you get stuck or need clarification or any more information such as census lookups.

Have fun!  :)

Offline evanellis72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
I have attached the Immigration record for you to view.  Ralph immigrated to the United States aboard the Ship Henry Clay from Liverpool to New York which arrived 22 August 1846. (See figure 4 for copy of immigration record.) With him were his wife Hannah J age, oldest child Mary 3yrs old, and son Ralph Jr. age 1. It seems there is a William Spooner age 24 with them. I don't know if Ralph Spooner born 1814 son of Adam Spooner had a brother named William or not. The ages of Ralph and Hannah J. (Wilson) seem to be correct. Also William is listed as a Miner for his occupation. Just thought you might find this of interest.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Evan,

Thanks for posting the image - it is interesting to see it.  :)

Curious about William aged 24 who is travelling with them, I was just having a look at my Spooners to see if I could place him. I notice that I don't seem to have this branch of the family included in my tree - so can I just check something with you to try to sort out my Ralphs and Adams?

Was Adam Spooner, father of your Ralph, christened 29 Nov 1784? If so, do you know who this Adam married, and who the mother of your Ralph is?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
Have you managed to trace Ralph and William in any US records? Census for example.

I have found Ralph with father Adam and mother Ann in the England 1841 census. He has a brother called William about the same age. However in 1851 this William is aged 40 and unmarried and still living with parents. Unlikely, but possible, he returned from America in time for the 1851 census.  :-\

There are quite a few William Spooners around but not many in the NE of England.

Offline evanellis72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
Nothing can be found for William in the US Census so it would make sense he came home. How old was William in the 1841 census?  Ralph and Hannah J. are in several US Census in Meigs County Ohio where they settled

Offline evanellis72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 02:46 BST (UK) »
I haven't found a death record yet but still searching. I am positive he is the son of Adam Spooner and Ann Grey (Gray)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 04:01 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census both Ralph and William are said to be 25, probably due to rounding of ages http://durhamrecordsonline.com/updates/2010/09/added-explanation-of-1841-census-age-rounding/ rather than them being twins.  :) Both sons and father Adam are coal miners.

It may be worth checking records in case there is any departure from the USA or arrival into England for William.

The William living with Adam and Ann in 1851 is said to be born in Nth Shields Northumbrland. Do you have your Ralph's date and place of birth?

Offline evanellis72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 04:08 BST (UK) »
No place of birth besides England and 1814 is given. It just seems that with a wife named Hannah J. born in the same year as Hannah Wilson and having their first child a year after their marriage and him disappearing from British records as well as having a brother named William and all being miners is waaaayyyy to coincidental. Also given the fact that nowhere in the British isles was another man with the same dates named Ralph Spooner married to a woman named Hannah J.  Can't find his death record or anything stating his parents but I believe the circumstantial evidence is more than enough here.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 04:23 BST (UK) »
I would agree. It all points to being the correct family.  :)

It might still be worth looking for confirmation if it exists.

How about this:
Purchase the English birth certificate of son Ralph or daur Mary. This will give you the mother's maiden name.

Purchase the US birth certificate of any child born after their arrival in the US. Presumably they also give mother's maiden name?

If the mother's maiden names tally this will be the proof you need.  :)

The free indexes will give you the marriage of Ralph Spooner and Hannah J Wilson which presumably you have already found.