Author Topic: Dundalk Barracks  (Read 11015 times)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dundalk Barracks
« on: Monday 23 February 09 12:15 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was born in 1883 in Barrack Street Dundalk while his father was stationed there with the 16th Lancers.  I`m hoping someone will be able to tell me more about the barracks.  I wonder if grandfather was born in the Barracks or if families were housed outside in Barrack Street (I hope that makes sense).
Many thanks,       Jane

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dundalk Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
it's now known as Aiken Barracks and the link below should show you the location on google maps -

http://www.rootschat.com/links/05ny/

the barracks is the area on the corner on Point & Coe's Road.

sorry - dont know specifics about spouses living on base in Ireland. they did mention on the Irish WDYTYA that when abroad (e.g. India) the servicemen over a certain rank were allowed to have spouse & family live with them.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane,  the family later moved to Island Bridge Barracks, Dublin which had a `female military hospital` where the next child was born.  I wondered if Dundalk also had a hospital for families
Jane

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 12:54 GMT (UK) »
There are two books written about the Barracks:
Joseph Gavin & Harold O'Sullivan, Dundalk A Military History, Ireland 1987 and
Joseph Gavin & Stephen O'Donnell, Military Barracks Dundalk A Brief History, Ireland 1999
There is a postcard picture of the barracks on my web site at
http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/1690-1886_county_louth_regiments.htm
Regards,
Brendan

Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brendan - think I will have to ask my library to try to track down one of the books - they seem to be unavailable to buy.
I was very interested to see the photo of the barracks.  I wonder when it was taken.
Regards,  Jane

Offline kiddo123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My gt gt grandfather, Joseph Ringwood PAIN was an Armourer Sergeant with the 19th Regiment of Hussars.  On his will it states that his wife (and I presume children also) were stationed with him at Dundalk Barracks.

He died in 1881 (aged 36) at the Barracks after being at the "Station Hospital, Ballincollig".

He was buried at St Nicholas (Church of Ireland), Dundalk.  On the index of memorial inscriptions it states 'Typescript'. 

Does anyone know what 'Typescript' means and where would I be able to find out any more information regarding this MI.

Thanks.
Lee (Aust)
PAIN - Ipswich SFK, Aston WAR
MARLOW - Coton/Hopwas/Hints STS
FISK - Beccles/Ringsfield/Weston SFK

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather, Joseph Ringwood PAIN was an Armourer Sergeant with the 19th Regiment of Hussars.  On his will it states that his wife (and I presume children also) were stationed with him at Dundalk Barracks.

He died in 1881 (aged 36) at the Barracks after being at the "Station Hospital, Ballincollig".

He was buried at St Nicholas (Church of Ireland), Dundalk.  On the index of memorial inscriptions it states 'Typescript'. 

Does anyone know what 'Typescript' means and where would I be able to find out any more information regarding this MI.

I can only assume that the 'Typescript' references relates to the memorial inscriptions or burial records being transcribed ?

Joseph's death seem to be recorded in the BMD Index without his middle name. A death cert would show some additional details, such as occupation, date and cause of death.

Name: Joseph Paine
  Registration district: Dundalk
  Event type: Death
  Quarter and year Jul-Sep 1881
  Volume: 2 / Page: 527

Ballincollig Barracks was in Co. Cork and located to the north west of Cork City.

see :

Introduction to Irish Records

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The "Typescript" reference on my website refers to a typescript of the Tombstone Inscriptions held in the porch of the church (St. Nicholas) in Dundalk. The Inscriptions have never been published. The "Typescript" was done in 1944, though some of the inscriptions were recorded in various editions of the "Journal of the Society for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead" at the beginning of the 20th century. However, I can tell you that the Inscription for your ancestor, as recorded in the "Typescript" is as follows:
"In Scared Remembrance/ of Joseph R. Pain/ (Armourer Sergeant Major)/ 19th Huzzars/ who died July the 12th. 1881/ Aged 36 years."
This is followed by a verse not recorded in the typescript.

The burial register for the church simply notes the following:
Burial date - 15/07/1881
Name - Joseph Ringwood Paine
Address - Barracks, Dundalk
Age -36

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline kiddo123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 December 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
Thank you very much for the information on the Ballincollig Barracks and ordering certificates from the GRO Roscommon which I will get onto in the New Year.

Brendan,
Wonderful - thank you for the inscription and information.  It is very much appreciated.  Thank you both !

As it is now 2.40 am Christmas morning here, I should be getting to bed  :)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Lee
PAIN - Ipswich SFK, Aston WAR
MARLOW - Coton/Hopwas/Hints STS
FISK - Beccles/Ringsfield/Weston SFK