Author Topic: Tyneside Inn, Coxhoe  (Read 9686 times)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
Tyneside Inn, Coxhoe
« on: Thursday 26 February 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find the location of the former Tyneside Inn  in Coxhoe, please ?
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Tyneside Inn, Coxhoe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
http://thedurhamadvertiser.net/the_north_east/history/echomemories/durham/305/280905.html

Apparently there were about 30 inns along the main street in Coxhoe, including the Tyneside Inn

Don't know if this posting is connected to your family
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-PUBS-INNS/2004-07/1089787784

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Census the Tyneside Inn is occupied by William Pattison Chisholm, in in the enumerators book it is the schedule immediately before the Red Lion Inn.
On the 1894-99 map at http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm there is an inn marked on the other side of the road from the Red Lion, and this could be the Tyneside Inn. If you go to the site and enter the co-ordinates 432150, 535606 in the search it will centre the map on that location.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Barbara and Stan.

I had seen both the post and the article, Barbara. I've even been to Coxhoe recently.

Regarding, the map, Stan, I only seem to be able to see a 1850s map - not the one you mention. Certainly the coordinates work - thanks. Also thanks for the information on the 1901 census. I did have a look and gave up eventually as I didn't know the name of the occupant in 1901.

I shall keep looking and try and get back to Coxhoe itself.

Thanks again,

Heatha
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 February 09 20:57 GMT (UK) »

Regarding, the map, Stan, I only seem to be able to see a 1850s map - not the one you mention.

Heatha

Hi Heatha,
Sorry for the confusion :(
When you go to the site do not change the the map from Current Day to Historical Maps as this will limit you to the 1:10,000 scale map. Leave it at Current Day and click Search and then Coordinates enter the coordinates in the New Coordinate Search: boxes, this will centre the map on the present day map at a scale of 1: 2,500. Then at the bottom where it says Select Map you have the choice of eight historical maps as well as the present day one.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pudden

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I am certain that the inn is now Tyneside Cottage in Blackgate East, just along from The Red Lion Inn. This was up for sale a while ago and I remember having a good nosy on the estate agent website. It's a large house with 7 bedrooms  and an arched gateway leading to stabling area and back garden. I think the new owners may have changed the name but if you like I'll go along next week and ask if they mind me taking a photo etc as it's just up the road from me

regards

Jane
Fishburn- Durham, Yorkshire
Richardson- Durham
Douglas- Cumberland, Durham, Sussex

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,

That would be marvellous if you would do that. I live over 50 miles away so it is a long trip for me there and back.

Kind regards,

Heatha
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline pudden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heatha

I've located the Tyneside Inn although it wasn't the building I was thinking of! The inn was divided into 2 houses over 70 years ago and renamed 1 and 2 Tyneside Cottages. If you do come back to Coxhoe for a look about they are situated more or less opposite the Tarka nursery (big building painted a horrid mauve colour) . The old boy who lives in number 1 is called Mr Ridley and he makes fabulous bird boxes and all sorts of wooden whimsical garden ornaments which he displays outside. The Old Red Lion pub was situated next door to the old Tyneside Inn but was demolished years ago leaving a small part remaining which you can see on the end of number 1

The old Black and white photo shows the OLd Red Lion in all it's glory and you can see the Tyneside on the left with the pub sign attached to the front( you can still see the fixings on the front of number 1) 

I had a good old gossip with Mr Ridley and his mate as at 45 I was still a "young, bit stuff" to them  ;)

Jane   
Fishburn- Durham, Yorkshire
Richardson- Durham
Douglas- Cumberland, Durham, Sussex

Offline pudden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
link to b&w pic as it won't appear on here for some reason