Author Topic: Richardson  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Richardsons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richardson
« on: Sunday 01 March 09 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on a John Richardson who married a Mary Bland in 1766 at Warcop Westmoreland .They had one child (Thomas 1774) baptized in Warcop.
Ive done ICI searches on John Richardson ,but they all seem to come up with diffrent wives .just how many did he have .
Or  were there more than one John Richardson living there at that time

can any one help

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richardson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 09 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat.
Richardson is an extremely common name in that part of the world and there will be dozens of them I'm afraid.   You really need to look at the original parish register to try and differentiate between them.  If you are not near enough to get to Kendal then you can order the film to search at your nearest LDS centre.  They are worldwide and listed on familysearch.  Ah, I see you are in Australia so not an easy journey to Kendal!
If you click on the batch number at the bottom of the record for Thomas on the IGI and just put in the surname and parents' names you get more entries from that film.   Some may be siblings for Thomas as I would be very surprised if they only had the one child, though others may have died young.    Searching the register will show burials too and help build up a much more accurate picture of the family.
Can we assume you have found Thomas in 1851 and that is how you know he was born in Warcop?
Andrea