Author Topic: Paisley Burial Grounds  (Read 10730 times)

Offline bullywee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paisley Burial Grounds
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone can help.
I have been looking for information on an ancestor of mine. His name was Walter McGibbon who died in 1895 at Causeyside Street, Paisley
His wife died the following year in Paisley, her name being Isabella, ms Bogle or Boyle.
I believe his parents, John McGibbon and Agnes Maltman, may also have lived in the Renfrewshire area. Both died before 1861.

My queries would be:
What burial ground would Walter and his wife most likely be interred?
Are there any documentation that would allow me to find out more information for burials at this time?

Thank you.

McGibbon, Maltman, Sturgeon, Bogle
Wilson, Laurie, Hunter, Turner, Fagan, Docherty (Dougherty), Aitken, Fraser, Gibson, Paterson, Waddell

Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley Burial Grounds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 09 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bully

Fraid nothing on line you'd need to contact Renfrewshire Council cems dept - beware they charge £26+VAT for just 30 min search! Possible places are Woodside or Hawkhead cems - they are the main two

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Woodside opened around 1845 and Hawkhead around 1891 but some of the churches had their own burial grounds - although many of these buildings are no longer in use as churches.

St Columbas gaelic Church/chapel in Oakshaw Street had some - the building is now a private dwelling

The High Kirk (now the Trinity Church)at the top of Church Hill also has a small burial section.

The Laigh Kirk (Low Church) at the bottom of New Street also had a burial ground, but this building has been converted to an Arts centre and the stones moved.

There is another well overgrown burial ground at the top of School Wynd where it meets Meeting House Lane - it's a big square building and was last being used as a warehouse (may have changed now as its been 3 years since I was in that area)

and of course not forgetting the area around the Abbey.

Offline bullywee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank You for taking the time to reply.
The information you gave is useful. It gives me a starting place for my research.
I don't think I will be asking the council for help...looks a wee bitty expensive.

Again, Thank you
McGibbon, Maltman, Sturgeon, Bogle
Wilson, Laurie, Hunter, Turner, Fagan, Docherty (Dougherty), Aitken, Fraser, Gibson, Paterson, Waddell

Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 09 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi bully

At last have found my wee book.

OK all the cem records for Paisley (except Woodside) the contact details are 0141 840 3504 or 0141 842 5979 (That's Renfrewshire Council who do the £26 per 30 mins +VAT)

Woodside cem (and crem) is a different company - The Paisley Cemetary Company Ltd. Their phone no is 0141 889 2260. Says the may charge so no idea how much could be.

No email addys for either fraid.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline rainbowbright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Bullywee

Try p-c.es@renfrewshire.gov.uk

A lady called Carolyn replied to my email request to look up a burial in Hawkhead Cemetery. 
I emailed on Thursday and got a reply on Friday. 

Regards
Rainbow
Dunn  Sunderland/Glasgow
Thomson  Glasgow
McDonald  Glasgow
Keiran  Glasgow
Crow  Sunderland/Hartlepool
Madden  Glasgow/Ireland
Sweeney Glasgow/Ireland
Jeffrey
Jefferson
Tod  Fife/Glasgow

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 April 09 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Bullywee,

A lot of the monumental inscriptions for the Paisley cemteries have been transcribed and published. I found the MI for a gggf who was buried in 1834 (Canal Street Cemetery, I think - I'm not at my own PC at the moment) in about half an hour, whereas Renfrewshire County Council had no record of the burial because the cemetery is not their responsibility.

Try requesting an MI look-up.

Hope this helps - a bit.

Justin

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Bully

I have the MI books for Renfrewshire and there is an entry for a Walter McGibbon in Paisley Abbey Churchyard

Lair 295 Walter McGibbon in Paisley died 24/2/1827

Fraid that's all it says

NowThere is another one at Woodside which is a Peter McNaught wife Mary McGibbon and there is a son Walter McNaught who was born 15/5/1859 and died 16/9/1862. The lair is no 162.

That's the only Paisley ones. There are other McGibbons buried in Eaglesham and also Greenock but fraid not your Walter.

I know not your actual Walter but am wondering if connected?

Best Wishes

Ann :)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 09 01:58 BST (UK) »
Postscript - the churches Falkyrn mentions above are in the MI books and fraid he's not there.

Ann :(