Author Topic: Hatfield Hyde Gatehouse  (Read 20950 times)

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hatfield Hyde Gatehouse
« Reply #45 on: Monday 21 November 11 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi 10dorking, this is intriuging!!

I have Mary down as Mary Ann Baldry so perhaps this is wrong or l have the wrong generation.

Joseph Jones grandaughter, Ellen Emily Jones, was my grandmother.

If you are on Genes Reunited l will share my tree with you so you can look.

I cant see a Margaret among their children so maybe thats wrong too or she was not at home at the time of the 1881 census.

Always prepared to be corrected if my info is wrong.

Steve.   Welwyn Garden City Herts.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline 10dorking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve.

This gets "curiouser and curiouser!!"

The first thing to say is that researching this family has been a nightmare so far with lots of so called "marriages", multiple marriages, unofficial name changes, and illegitimacy!!

Having said that, based on your info it would seem as though we may be third cousins.

However, lets see if we establish some common ground.

My great grandmother Margaret "Jones" bc1851 appears in the 1861 census as the dau of Joseph Jones and his wife Mary Ann Jones together with their daus Ellen Jones bc1856 and Mary Jane Jones bc1859. and they were then living at Peartree (Cottage?) at Hatfield.

Margaret "Jones" then "marries" a John Peddle (or Pedder) and they have four children, Margaret, John Charles, Mary Ann and Ida Florence my grandmother.

Margaret "Jones" later marries George Maynard and they lived at School Lane Aston but they didn't have any children.

I am familiar with and have researched some of the Jones family as recorded in the 1871/1881 census's.

Which of the children of Joseph Jones are you descended from?

I used to subscribe to Genes Reunited but gave it up about 9 months ago and although I can still access the site I don't think that I can receive messages any more.

Let me know if any of the above info ring any bells with you and whether or not you want to take this possible connection any further.

Regards,

Mike.

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike....the plot thickens!!!

As you  will be well aware, this is all about finding the time to do research, but we will get there in due course.
More often than not l look at this wonderful site every day, usually at work hence the early hour!

Guess my Mothers maiden name?   MAYNARD.

Grandad Christopher Maynard, Grandmother Ellen Emily Jones.

They grew up in the Hertford area and Aston End etc too. In fact there are still some Jones family in Hertford living at the same dwelling as their ancestors!!
Best l can do at the moment is to go away and print off loads of stuff from my Genes R and Ancestry trees. I will then get you to send me your address (are you local or l guess Dorking)?? if thats OK with you. Bear with me at the moment as my Dad is seriously ill at the moment and obviously time with him is precious.
Pleased to know you third cousin, more soon!!

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Just had a very quick look at my Genes Reunited tree.

I definitely have a Mary Jane Jones B1859  no Ellen though.

Mary Jane Jones married a Walter Hills??

George Maynard.  Would that be George Alfred B1901??

Regards,

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Offline 10dorking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve.

Clearly there is a common "Maynard/Jones! connection here, however I think that it is via different generations.

My George Maynard was born 1858 and d1947 who in 1889 married Margaret "Jones" who was born in 1851 and who d1939. (She was always known as Granny Maynard)

I have not researched The Maynards. Have you?

Can you tell me when your grandmother Ellen Emily Jones was born and who her M&F were?

For your unfo, Ellen Jones bc1856 appears in the 1861 and 1871 census but not in the 1881.

Yes I agree that Mary Jane Jones bc1859 married Walter Hills in 1881 and they had 5 children.

Don't rush off and print up loads of info as I believe that as you are on Ancestry, that you can arrange for me to view your FT etc by adding me as a guest to your account.

As one of my other contacts has already done this, the same unique Username that we set up might work viz "MJB1942". Might be worth a try!!??

If this doesn't work, I will send you my email address and then we can copy docs and other info to each other.

Oh by the way, Have you heard of or aware of the location of Hollywell Hyde Cottages which is where My Margaret Jones and her family (The Peddells) were living in the 1881 and 1891 census? I get the impression that it is (or was) very adjacent to Hatfield Hyde Gatehouse!! Any ideas??

Regards,

Mike

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 24 November 11 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
I have not done a lot of research on the Maynard/Jones side (My Mums) but have done lots on my Dads side who came from the Jarrow & Hebburn area in the 1930`s.
The Holwell hyde cottages were definitely in the same area as the photo l have previously posted on this thread.
I believe Hatfield Hyde was a much larger area in the 1880`s as Welwyn garden City did not exist then.
Ancestry is the best site out there but my subscription has expired so linking up may not work. Its expensive but very good.

My Grandmother Ellen Emily Jones was born in 1903 and died at Barnet General Hospital 13/3/73 aged 69.
Her grandfather was the Joseph Jones who was at HHG in 1881. He was born in 1822 in Moberley, Cheshire, dont know his wifes name.
Grandmothers Dad was Joseph Jones (son of Joseph) and Mum was Mary Ann Baldry.
My Grandmother was known as Nanny Maynard!!
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Offline 10dorking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve.

Thanks for the FT info and I can now see how we are related to each other as third cousins.

Based on what you've told me it would appear that my George Maynard and his wife Margaret Jones, are the uncle and aunt of your Christoper Maynard and Emily Jones! Small world isn't it!!!

By the way, the name of your Great Great Grandmother is Mary Ann Parry, formerly Little (ie she was previously married) who was born in the Gretna Green area in c1828.

It looks like the only way for us to keep in touch is probably via this Post which i will keep a watch on.

Good luck with your research into the Jones and Maynard families. I have quite a bit of info that I can share with you when you are ready to get your teeth into these families.

Did you ever find out the wording on that small plate by the front door of Hatfield Hyde Gatehouse???

Regards,

Mike.

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Good morning mike, this is just to show l am still here!!

Sad to report that my dad died at the beginning of December so we have been understandably preoccupied.

My Brother had a look at the sign and its not significant to the history, cant recall what he told me it said.
Need to visit Herts Archives sometime to really nail down the history of that house/cottage/gatehouse.

I can report that it is still known as the gatehouse.

Its interesting how our Maynard and Jones families seem to have known eachother in different times, intriuging.
Nothing else to report at the moment, just to touch base and say l have not forgotten all this.

Regards,

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Offline debleehook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 16 January 16 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My name is deb hooker, I am the daugher in law of Margaret Hooker, nee Jones, her father was Fred Louis Jones, who's mother was Margaret Peddle/jones/maynard/stokes.

I am in Sydney Australia, I do beleive that there is a connection here,

Deb
debleehook@gmail.com
Hooker,
Jones,
Bolton
Quilkey
Andrews