Author Topic: Dunleavy village location?  (Read 4855 times)

Offline benny2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dunleavy village location?
« on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone have any idea where Dunleavy is located? 

Alternate names may be Dunlevy, Donlevy, Dunlavey or Dunlevey.  This is a last name in many Irish records, but it is also supposed to be a village somewhere in Monaghan county.   I have searched many online sites but no luck.  Perhaps someone has access to an old gazetteer? 
Appreciate your assistance.
Benny2
Bennison and Benson family and collateral lines.  Most are from Sheffield, Eyam, or Macclesfield, England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dunleavy village location?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 09 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I dont see anything promising on the townland database : www.thecore.com/seanruad

a search of Directories and Gazetteers has not located anything .. the closest are

Surnames - Pigots 1824

Dunleavey
  Dunlevie

Placename - Ambrose Leet - 1814

Dunlaven, Wicklow

what timeframe is the reference that you have ? and do know anything about anything nearby - prominent residents, estates, geographic features...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Dún is a fortified residence and Leamh (Lav) is the Elm which is the best clue I can offer.

Good luck

Offline benny2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 09 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance on the Dunleavy question.  I must assume that whoever made this entry in "Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA," by Clement Heverly, 1913, p. 415 was mistaken.

I have found various spellings such as Dunlevy, Donlevy, Dunlavey and Dunlevey.  There is also "A genealogical history of the Dunlevy family By Gwendolyn Kelley Hack, full-text at http://books.google.com/books?id=mTZKAAAAMAAJ&pg

Possibly they meant Dunlewy, County Donegal, or Dunlavan, County Wicklow, or Dunleary, county Dublin, but that doesn't fit the known facts below.  Dunlevy means "Lughach's fort" per Placenames in Ireland at http://www.n-ireland.co.uk/genealogy/placenames/placenamesd.htm

Below is what the citation says.  He was born about 1770.

"John Morrow was a native of Dunleavy, County Monaghan, Ireland, where he tended a grist mill. He married Nancy, daughter of John Gamble and some years after his sons and father-in-law had

immigrated to Bradford county, he and his wife came also. Mr. Morrow was an expert builder of

stone-wall fences and was thus employed by the more thrifty farmers after settling in Wilmot [Bradford County, PA]. His death occurred Oct. 24, 1837, aged 67 years and that of his wife, April 1860, in her 85th year. Both (are) inhumed in (the) Lacey street cemetery [Laceyville, PA]." 

It is known that he lived and worked in Slieveroe and Drumalt, both in Kilmore Parish, county Monaghan.  I guess the Dunleavy notation will ever remain a mystery.

Thanks again for all your help.
Bennison and Benson family and collateral lines.  Most are from Sheffield, Eyam, or Macclesfield, England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
from Pigot’s Commercial Directory of Ireland, 1824

Saml. Morrow,  Monaghan-st, Clones, Co. Monaghan - Publican

theres a few other Morrow entries at that time - in Dublin, Sligo (McMorrow) , Saintfield, Portadown, Coleraine & Dungannon (Morrows)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline benny2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dunleavy Mystery Solved
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Dunleavy Mystery Solved

Well Jack Storey, Irish village expert, has provided the answer.  He wrote me that "In Kilmore there was only one Fort (Dun) and it was Dunraymond (Raymond's Fort), previously Dunleavy (Leavy's Fort).  Slieveroe and Drumalt are quite near to Dunleavy (Fort of the Leavy family).  It was Leavy's prior to Cromwell when it became Raymond's." 

So Dunraymond is what used to be Dunleavy.  It is 4.7 miles north-northwest of Ballybay, and only 2 miles from Drumalt, and 3.4 miles from Slieveroe, where John Morrow and his family lived.

Thanks for all your help.

Benny