Author Topic: Marriage of John Bannister/Isabella McNeice  (Read 3295 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Bannister/Isabella McNeice
« on: Thursday 12 March 09 19:51 GMT (UK) »
John Bannister and Isabella McNeice had at least 6 children in Lisburn, Co. Antrim.
Can anyone find their marriage??
It would have been in 1864 or before.  Can't find the marriage in Emerald Ancestors,Ancesdtry Ireland or LDS Pilot Site.  I need to know the name of John's father.  All the Derriaghy Bannisters were C of I, but I suppose he might have been the exception.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Bannister/Isabella McNeice
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello RosemaryJoan, I wondered why the brickwall was there, and seeking a crack I looked around unsuccessfully, but heres where I went
In http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search, apart from Dublin the only other John Bannister in Ireland who was a householder was
Bannister  John  (Here Brownlow Terrace intersects)  ARMAGH  in the parish of Shankill   
however of more direct interest will be
Bannister  Alexander  Clogher  Antrim  Derryaghy       
Bannister  James  Clogher  Antrim  Derryaghy       
Bannister  Jacob  Market Square  Antrim  Blaris       
Bannister  James  Tonagh  Antrim  Blaris       
Bannister  James  Lisnagarvy  Antrim  Blaris
and the county down ones are
Bannister  Jane  Largymore  Down  Blaris       
Bannister  Sarah  Bridge End Hill  Down  Blaris       
Bannister  William  Bridge End Hill  Down  Blaris       
Leathem  Silas  Largymore  Down  Blaris 

The McNeice’s are living at Ballinderry, Glenavy, Racavan, Tullyrusk Other spellings abound
MCNIECE  JOHN  MAJOR'S COURT  ANTRIM  BLARIS 

Co-incidently  Ros Davies Co Down website contains some Blaris Bannisterseg
Miss Alice BANNISTER . Blaris regd. Lisburn; daughter of Edward Bannister; aged 18 married Henry McCoy 18 Jul 1847; mother of Allice b. 1866 CR
Jacob BANNISTER . Blaris of Lisburn; d. 4 Oct 1877 aged 72; husband of Elizabeth hunter; father of Ezekial Thomas & Eleanor Elizabeth; buried Blaris graveyard MIs
Miss Mary BANISTER . Bklaris regd. Lisburn; daughter of William Banister ; married Robert Martin 19 Sep 1847 CR
Robert Courtland BANNISTER . Blaris a solicitor; co-executor in the will of Emma Barcroft McComiskey of Grove House 28 Aug 1935 PRONI wills
William BANASTER Esq. Down leased the rights to collect tolls & customs in Downpatrick from Earl of Ardglass for half yearly rent of £2.10.0 in Nov 1669 LM 1985 p55
Rev. John McNEECE M.A. Blaris & Tullylish born Lisburn; married Mary Orr Hunter 3 Jul 1872 & Charlotte Matilda Hoare Smith 13 Jun 1877; rector of the parish 1888- 1891; died 21 Jan 1891 aged 45; buried Tullylish graveyard; will probated 1 May 1891, executor was Charlotte Matilda McNeece of Belfast, his widow  TPHS p 12; MIs; OFB p136
Miss Rebecca McNIECE . Blaris regd.Lisburn; wife of Lucas Warring; mother of George Alexander b. 1866 & Richard John b. 1869 CR
Thomas McNIECE .  Blaris parish works program- applotter for Lower Glenavy in 1836 V12 p 40 OSM   

Then I went for Derriaghy church records
www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/
Topographical Dictionary entry or entries.     
3  Graveyards and transcripts.                         
20  Census returns and substitutes                     
No estate records listed. 
9  Book-format local histories                           
1  Periodical local history reference(s)               
8  Local or family history journals                       
No directories listed 
15  General Register Office records listed.           
3  Roman Catholic church records listed.           
6  Church of Ireland church records listed.           
   No Presbyterian church records listed. 
   No published church records.
My last thought he may have married in her church!
Do the first children give clues as just Cof I
And at that I gave up. Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 09 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ballyaltilliken6,
You have searched over and above the call of duty!
Well, the first John is my g.grandfather who worked for the railway in Lurgan.
Then Alexander and James were brothers, James being my g.g.grandfather
The rest of them were probably related one way or another, some of the men working on the railway and moving about a bit.  Jacob was a pawnbroker! but don't know whether he was mine.  There were Bannisters in Lisburn in the 1600s but they are very difficult to disentangle.
The ones in Co. Down are probably from the same ancestors.
I am trying to understand a will and there are too many Johns.  Just hoping that this particular John was the son of Hugh Bannister.
However, I have just looked again at Griffiths and found only one McNiece, a John, living in Major's Court, so maybe, just maybe he was Isabella's father.
Isabella and John had:
Agnes Jane b. 1864
Mary, b. 1865
James 1869
Sarah, b. 1871
George 1873
William John 1876
Ellen 1879
?????????????
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
did Agnes Jane have a christening or baptism in 1864/5?
Anyway I am glad to hear you may have a pawnbroker in the surname as I have one too. Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
No, afraid not - the record was from LDS - source qurterly returns - but funny enough her birth is in twice with two different mothers!  Must look into this.  RosemaryJoan

Offline gardtrek

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 09 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I found your note while searching the web for my family connections.  Up popped Silas Leathem.  He was my great, great, grandfather.  The land he occupied at Blaris was at 'Plantation' on the edge of the County Down side of Lisburn.  Like your Bannister connection Silas and all that family connection were Church of Ireland.  The records of Lisburn Cathedral were very useful for me and for later connections Christ Church - Lisburn.   I don't know if you have tried these but if not it may be worth a try.

Regards

Noel

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Noel,  Yes, my paid researcher searched a lot of early C of I records in Lisburn, but didn't go as far as 1864.  Must have a look at the new LDS Pilot site for the marriage.  RosemaryJoan

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:23 BST (UK) »

Co-incidently  Ros Davies Co Down website contains some Blaris Bannisterseg
Miss Alice BANNISTER . Blaris regd. Lisburn; daughter of Edward Bannister; aged 18 married Henry McCoy 18 Jul 1847; mother of Allice b. 1866 CR
Jacob BANNISTER . Blaris of Lisburn; d. 4 Oct 1877 aged 72; husband of Elizabeth hunter; father of Ezekial Thomas & Eleanor Elizabeth; buried Blaris graveyard MIs
Miss Mary BANISTER . Bklaris regd. Lisburn; daughter of William Banister ; married Robert Martin 19 Sep 1847 CR
Robert Courtland BANNISTER . Blaris a solicitor; co-executor in the will of Emma Barcroft McComiskey of Grove House 28 Aug 1935 PRONI wills
William BANASTER Esq. Down leased the rights to collect tolls & customs in Downpatrick from Earl of Ardglass for half yearly rent of £2.10.0 in Nov 1669 LM 1985 p55
Rev. John McNEECE M.A. Blaris & Tullylish born Lisburn; married Mary Orr Hunter 3 Jul 1872 & Charlotte Matilda Hoare Smith 13 Jun 1877; rector of the parish 1888- 1891; died 21 Jan 1891 aged 45; buried Tullylish graveyard; will probated 1 May 1891, executor was Charlotte Matilda McNeece of Belfast, his widow  TPHS p 12; MIs; OFB p136
Miss Rebecca McNIECE . Blaris regd.Lisburn; wife of Lucas Warring; mother of George Alexander b. 1866 & Richard John b. 1869 CR
Thomas McNIECE .  Blaris parish works program- applotter for Lower Glenavy in 1836 V12 p 40 OSM
www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/

Hi there! Late to this post I'm afraid.

The Alice Bannister and Henry McCoy mentioned above are my Great Great Grandparents. Their daughter, Sarah, married Thomas Mulgrew in Lisburn in 1886 and then moved pretty well immediately to Glasgow where they went on to have at least 15 children! Their daughter "Allice" married Henry McNeice in Lisburn in 1893. Henry was the son of John McNeice and Elizabeth Ann Carlisle. Henry and Allice/Alice do not appear to have had any children. I'm still hoping to find out more about Alice and Sarah's brother, James, who was born in 1870 and last "sighted" in 1939 when he was living in Paisley and was the Informant on Alice's death certificate.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 July 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
After posting this I found James' death certificate showing he passed in Paisley in 1951 but registered under the surname "McKay" which other members of the family also used at various times.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire