Author Topic: Cottingham, Cemetery Records .. Stephenson  (Read 36416 times)

Offline vmelli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cottingham, Cemetery Records .. Stephenson
« Reply #36 on: Monday 26 March 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
HI Ken
The Benjamin STEPHENSON  4th Son of John STEPHENSON  who married Hannah ZEALAND  is my Husbands  Great  Gr Gr Grandfather...

Can you tell me where I can obtain a copy of the Brochure
"The Stephenson Brochure 1917-1918"

Checked the net and seems only place is the Library in England...
Nothing here in our Library in Brisbane.
Jan

Offline vmelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 26 March 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
hi Jan,

I am the GGGranddaughter of John Stephenson and GGGGranddaughter of Benjamin Stephenson.  My link is then through Johns son Wilfred and his son Victor who was my grandfather.  Were you able to get a hold of the book Stephensons 1917-1918?  I am also in Queensland and no luck trying to hunt one down.

kind regards,
Vicki

Offline vmelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 26 March 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Well ... to give you a short version of MY family history ......... my ggg was a William Stephenson born 1814 at Doncaster S Yorks ... but he married a Mary Scott at Cottingham in 1838 ... going on to have at least 6 children baptised at Cottingham ... and lived in the area. This family came to Canada in 1854 ... but if my William was any relation to Cottingham area Stephensons ... I still do not know this.
 Back some 25 years ago, I teamed up with another relation here in Ontario, and we became the family genealogists ... gathering up death reports for ancestors ... searching census records ... sitting in front of mico-film reading machines ... and all that family tree searching stuff :).
 Jean (the lady who was helping me) lives close to Toronto, here in Ont., and she used the Mormon Library research room ... plus Toronto Archives, along with talking to older relations here in Ont ... and some where in this search, she came across the Cottingham, Stephenson family history that was done in 1916 - 17, and she sent me a photo copy of it. But I can not remember where she got it now.
 As I say, what I have is a photo copy of the booklet (Stephenson Brochure) ... and I am going to guess that it must have been in a Toronto Library, here in Ontario. It is quite a few pages long, and looks to be fairly professsionally done, with black and white photographs printed in it and all.
 I will have to phone Jean and ask her where she got it ... she is in her early 80's now ... and having some health problems.
 PS ... go to the top of this page ... and it will read Welcome back Bunny1129 you have 1 message (click on here) the private message is from me

Offline vmelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 26 March 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

I am descended from Benjamin Stephenson and hannah stephenson through their son john and his son Wilfred.  Wilfred is my great grandfather.  I am wondering if you would know where I may be able to obtain a copy of the brochure you have referred to in these posts as I am in Australia and cannot find anything listed including over the internet.  It may help with some of the questions on the earlier ancestors.

kind regards,
Vicki

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 April 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
vemelli .. did you ever find 'This' Stephenson of Cottingham history (done about 1917)?
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline vmelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

I did thank you very much.  After going through it though, I am a bit confused about John from Carnabys relationship with the 'first' ancestors in the book - starting at Ralph.  I am interested in finding out who were Johns parents, but as yet I can't find this and there is no one who could have been his direct line coming from Ralph.   So still searching.....

kind regards,
Vicki

Offline Aussie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 05:59 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with Gartons and Crosier (also 'Crozier') being buried in the Cottingham area.
I am also looking for a Mary Crosier died: Jan-Feb-Mar Qtr of 1870, Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding.
Aged: 65
(Husband: John Crosier: March 1881 death aged 72 District: Beverley).
Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline MelissaW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi KenS,
I am Dr. Everton Morris' (Ila Maude Stephenson's son) granddaughter. I believe he is your cousin or your 2nd cousin.  I used a lot of your research about 20 years ago when I was a teenager, and am now helping my son create a family tree for his grade 6 class.  He is only doing straight back, so no siblings of anyone.  I am wondering if you have found anything further back than what your signature says (William/Alice Carter and William/Mary Twidle)? Do you have birth/death dates for any of those 4?

On the Mary Emiline Petit side, do you have anyone above Levi Petit/Hester Vrooman and his parents Henry Petit/Maria Stockwell (birth/death dates for these 2 or place of birth for any of them?)

Thank you for all of the information you have researched on the family :)
Melissa

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
..... just off the top of my head: Alfred Stephenson married twice and had .. Edward/William/George/Jessie ..... John/Jim/Lucy/Walter/Mary/Etta/Fred/Archie/Maude/Mable ... plus about 3 that died as kids .. one from that first marriage and 2 from the second. John (oldest of the second marriage) was my great grandfather.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.