Author Topic: GAULT Ireland all dates  (Read 28412 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAULT Ireland all dates
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 May 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Further to Steve's last post, 19 Jan 1872 Thomas Smyth married Elizabeth Junkin (Gault) in Loughmourne Reformed Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 May 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The information that I have is that my gr grandmother and grandfather are on the 1911 census in Napier street, Belfast. I know 100% that she was born 23/03/1865 and her father was William Junkin. The name changed to Jenkins sometime after, reasons unknown. William was married to Elizabeth Gault from the Toreagh area which as I'm sure you know is around the Raloo, Glynn area.

This was confirmed many years ago through my granddad's cousin William Moore (b.1903) who was the son of Agnes Junkin/Jenkins married to James Moore. From what I know from my grandfather he had 1 aunt Agnes, and 2 uncles, William & David. The only contact that my grandfather had with that side of the family when I was growing up was with William Moore.

The McNeil part of my grandfathers name (John McNeil Jenkins b. Larne 5/03/1903) was rumoured to be from his father, but this was never confirmed. His mother remarried on 23/12/1921 to a Joe Wilson (b. 01/03/1877, father Robert Wilson/mother Elizabeth Douther).

Terry

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 June 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been trying to work out the various how the various Gault families in Antrim connect to my Wiley family of Templepatrick. The one I am currently most familiar with is that of Alexander Gault of Doagh and his wife Ellen Murdoch.

Kilbride Burials:    
Alexander Gault   Date of Death: 02/02/1883
Ellen Gault (nee Murdoch)
Wife of Alexander    Date of Death: 22/08/1894
James Gault      Date of Death: 20/09/1906

James Gault above (of Cogrey) married Margaret Ferguson daughter of James Ferguson & Elizabeth Wiley.

Jane Gault (c1842-1893), dau of Alexander,  married John Ferguson of Annandale. John was a brother of James Ferguson

John Gault (c1846-1926) timber merchant of Larne & presumed brother of Jane (one of her executors) married Elizabeth McClinton

Robert Gault (c1857-1921) another executor of Jane's & also a presumed brother was a flax merchant.

Ellen Murdoch was the sister of Mary Murdoch who married William Alexander of Ballymather. Mary Alexander's Will names all four of the above Gaults and her sister Ellen.

One more unconfirmed connection is Margaret Gault, wife of John Ferguson of Fourmileburn and mother of James Ferguson and John Ferguson. I suspect she may have been a sister of Alexander Gault of Doagh but the only hint I have to confirm that is that an Alexander Gault was a witness to her will.

While trying to find how these various Gaults above were connected I also looked at the Rickamore Gault family. William Gault of Rickamore d 30 Nov 1892 and listed sons James, Alexander, Samuel, William and Edward (in the USA) in his Will. Also named John H Gault of Belfast as one of his executors. John Henry Gault of Clifton Park (who died 15 Sep 1915) was also named as a cousin in the Will of John Gault  of Tennant St Belfast (spirit grocer) who died 23 Feb 1899. I have not found any connection between the Doagh Gaults and the Templepatrick Gaults but that doesn't mean there was no connection.

I have an interest in one other Gault family of Lisnevenagh & Quarter Lenagh. They connect to my Lisnevenagh Kennedy family.

Cheers

Linda

Offline DebGem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
There is a Hugh Gault listed as the father in the marriage of Jane Gault b 1826 b 1892, married to a John Sinclair Todd b 1810 c 1892. 19 Jan 1853 at Ballyeaston Church
In Griffith Eval. I found Hugh Gault with landlord John Todd but not sure they are connected.
Any connection?
Deb

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 August 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
:::  Ballymather lower town land Killead (1851)

Samuel Galt  head  grocer  age 42 Antrim
Agnes Galt wife age 36
Thomas Galt son 6
James Galt son 5 our g g grandfather married Elizabeth Boyd
Mary Jane Galt  2

Samuel being a grocer fits in with James and Elizabeth's marriage cert but family lore puts their shop between Ballyhenry and Carnmoney also the spelling of Gault can change to Galt then back again.:::

I did manage to find a mention of Lizzie Gault as graddaughter in the will of William John Boyd died 14/6/1891....wills now online........

DebGem......I am very low on any information on Hugh Galt/Gaults.....not connected...sorry

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 August 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on a John Gault a soldier in 1915/1916 aged 26 at that time.
The name Armour may be in his line.
He is listed as the father of a child who died in Belfast during 1916.

Did he die during war time.
Did he marry.
Any info would be great.

OTTO

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 August 15 08:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on a John Gault a soldier in 1915/1916 aged 26 at that time.
The name Armour may be in his line.
He is listed as the father of a child who died in Belfast during 1916.

Did he die during war time.
Did he marry.
Any info would be great.

OTTO

Details of the child who died might be useful in order for us to help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 August 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
The child died on 23rd Jan 1916, aged 2years 3 months. He was named on the death Certificate as James Armour Gault Somerville.
In the section for parent there is Child of John Gault Soldier and what looks like 26 in brackets.
This info has a line through it, and it now reads Child of Lizzie Somerville.

Lizzie Somerville was the married name of Elizabeth Armstrong who married James Somerville on 19th Dec 1910.

it appears that a child was born some years later to a James McGranaghan and Elizabeth (formerly Armstrong). This child grew up and died in Canada, but her name on the headstone is Somerville.

clear as mud , I know
OTTO

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 15 August 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
There is a Hugh Gault listed as the father in the marriage of Jane Gault b 1826 b 1892, married to a John Sinclair Todd b 1810 c 1892. 19 Jan 1853 at Ballyeaston Church
In Griffith Eval. I found Hugh Gault with landlord John Todd but not sure they are connected.
Any connection?
Deb

My Gaults are the ones detailed by Imgnz above - from the Parkgate/Doagh areas.  Do you know where your Hugh is said to have been from in the marriage record?

I've only got notes on two Hugh Gaults:

Hugh Gault (c1757-1805), headstone in Rashee Old Graveyard: Here lyeth the Body of Hugh Gault who departed this life the 3d October 1805 aged 48 years.

Hugh Galt (d. c1857).  He had land in Dunamoy and was mentioned in notices from the Landed Estates Court in 1856 (I guess he was in debt?).  By 1858 he was "the late Hugh Galt."  His son was Alexander Gault, a spirit dealer of 8 Frederick Street, Belfast. 

Alexander's first wife, Eliza, died of consumption on the 14th September 1854, aged 31.  His second wife (whom he married on 8th Jan 1855) was Matilda Jane Palmer.  Alexander died at 96, Main Street, Larne on 28th Jan 1892 aged 72.  Matilda died at 112, Main Street, Larne on 2nd June 1910 aged 74.