Author Topic: Colville Armstrong  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Army

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colville Armstrong
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I have Thomas married a Mary Jane POLLARD in 1887 and had 4 boys and 8 girls. Beatrice married a William Thomas Wallis abt. 1920.

Graham (Army)

Offline chenlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham
Beatrice has been really hard to find information about, i have 2 stories,
one her mother was Mary Jane Pollard then another said Hollard, DOB 1869 died 24/10/1912 in Campbells Ck Victoria for both names
Ihave they only had i child Beatrice  DOB 9/2/1090 at Wesley Hill, then i have other information saying there were 10 children.
I know Beatrice married Henry Chenery (my g father) about 1920, she divorce Henry and married William Wallis, dont know date yet.  Beatrice died18/5/1983 Melbourne

Jo

Offline Army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

It all gets a little interesting the more information you glean. Did you know Beatrice? My brother & I used to visit Colville Jnr. up until he died in 1962. For some reason we never knew or met many of our extended family. I have a photo of Colville Jnr. if you would like I can PM it to you. Did you check out the Glen Huntley story? Dad told the story passed to him from Colville Jnr. that George who was a blacksmith had to carry all his tools of trade across the beach & marshes of Point Ormond and fell whilst carrying his anvil and died of dysentery 3-4 days later. We are lucky to be here really.

Graham (Army)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Been trying to pin down records for Colville Armstrong Senior, I note that you give him and younger sibling, Hume, year of birth only, this suggests that you do not have an actual record. Given that records were kept by the Church of Scotland at that time, and are not complete by any means. I have checked Scotsman Archives, andean find no mention of him .

With mother dying in 1837, and father emigrating with brother, Walter in 1840, where did the young Coalville go to stay. Checked the 1841 census for Scotland and England. I have found brother James b 1818, as a tailor, staying in Scotland, traced him through the census to 1881 so far.

Any further info on Coalville Senior's birth would be appreciated.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline chenlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham
 I knew Beatrice really well  she lived at the back of West Footscray (AFL) football oval, i remember going there often as we lived in Ballarat.   I have several photos of her with my dads family and her 2nd marriage,  if you want to see them let me know,  Not sure how to post photos yet though.   I did read about the Glenhuntly, i dont understand how Colville and the other children and Sarah Charlotte came over though, as it was only George and Walter on the boat .  I wander how they arrived.  It would have been a terrible trip
Jo

Offline Army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 June 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

A bit more info re Colville Snr. (Trove) He was indentured to a Andrew Paton in Melbourne in 1844 as a tinsmith. He is listed as a orphan so wondering if he was indentured in Scotland as a teen & came to Oz with the Paton family after George died. I have found a listing of Andrew Paton Tinsmith in a Edinburgh Guild Book, I'm still looking. If only we asked these questions when the ones that may have known had the answers. Good photo on Trove of Colville Jnr. & the Armstrong family at Tongala. Colville Jnr. is on left.

Graham

Offline chenlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 June 16 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham
that is interesting, with George and Walter in Australia, Colville might have been forced to go with the other family. With mother dead the family was  probably all split up.   Jo