Author Topic: Margaret Cameron, Doune  (Read 12600 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Cameron, Doune
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 09 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Chirp

Unfortunatley Fergus(s)on is quite a common surname in the area and my known connection is somewhat earlier. My Reids (and connected families) were tenant farmers mostly on, I beleive. the Stirling of Keir estate which tended to be more towards Dunblane so a little bit away from where young Margaret lived.

Further to your reference to the address, according to the 1912 Scottish County Directory Alexander Cameron was farming Dalbraik(sic) and James Henderson was farming Glenhead.

Andy

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 April 09 10:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Andy. I guess Dalbraik/Dalbrack is 'Brack' as referred to by Margaret.
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline renard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 April 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
When I lived there in the late 70s early 80s Glenhead farm was
part of Keir estate,in recent years some of the estate has been sold but original boundary was along the Doune Dunblane road
until the Argaty turn off there after along the Ardoch burn until you reached Inverardoch Mains on the other side they marched with Row house though they did have the lease of the land there
for a time, as you say Craigarnhall and Hillside of Row were Keir
estate.
Jim

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim - it's nice to learn more about the area.
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Glass making, S Shields

Offline tinkertinker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 May 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is anyone with the surname Keir mentioned in this diary?

Thank M Keir.

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 May 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry no Keirs mentioned.
Chirp
Glass making, S Shields

Offline bigcheese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 October 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
the mention of the Bow is interesting as there was, and I believe still may be a cameron family who farmed up there, and the road up to the Bow is sometimes known as the Dalbrack road . Across the moor from the Bow were/are another family of Camerons @ Severie in the Braes of Doune which is accessed direct from Doune (due North)

http://nl.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=424812

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 October 09 17:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that; it would be interesting to know if the present Camerons descend from Margaret's family.  Let's hope they join rootschat!!
Chirp
Glass making, S Shields

Offline sailorjim

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 December 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Some years ago I found an old diary in the attic of the cottage where I used to live. It was written over one  month during 1908 by Margaret Cameron of Brack (which I take to be the name of a house) near Doune by Dunblane in Perthshire. In it there are references to several neighbours, relatives and school friends. I would estimate Margaret was about 14 years old at the time. There is little detail but I know that even  a passing reference is of great interest to us family historians. If you have an ancestor in this area at this time I can check to see if they are mentioned. There are also references to farms and hamlets in the area: The Bow, Deanston, Clarkton, Glenhead and others. I was informed by a distant relative of Margaret's that she did not marry. From the diary it seems she may have had siblings named Jany or Jenny, John, Archie and Christian. Somebody out there may be descended from one of them. The references are mostly of the kind: "Aunt J.A. is cutting potatoes with James Dunn in the kitchen." and "Aunt Maggie tells us that the little Watston ones have got the measles." "Annabel has quarreled with Connie Winter" and so on. The 28 April records a reference to "C.B.'s funeral" when "all the liberals agreed to take a holiday" (C.B.??).  On the 7th May she refers to "Shaw the grave digger hanging himself down in the cemetery."
Chirp

Hello there!

I'm new to this site so bear with me.

My mother's  great great grandfather was was John Murdoch and his brother was Thomas for whom my own brother is named. They were pistol makers in Doune at the end of the18th.Centuary.  I think John died in 1812 and was the last of the Scottish flintlock pistol makers.

The brothers had the destinction of being the makers of the pistols that fired 'the shot that was heard around the world' - the first shot fired in the  American War of Independence.  They were made for two british officers who were killed in battle.  The pistols were given to George Washington who later left them in his will to the Laffayette family.  The other pair are in the Lexington History Museum.

John had a son who went to Jamica and died there in about 1825.  he owned a plantation there which he named 'douine Castle.

The same Murdochs were the decendents of the builders of Doune castle which I think was built for the then Regent of Scotland.  His son was named Murdoch.  Perhaps that's where the name vcame from originally.  There were not a few illigitimii around in those days?

The other side of the family were Buchanans who were also pistol makers from Doune.  I don't know anything about them.  Can enyone help?

Sailorjim