Author Topic: Ann Sinnett  (Read 8105 times)

Offline minnie1703

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Sinnett
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
hi can anyone tell me anything of:

Ann Sinnett  Birth:    7 Jan 1810 Roch, Pembrokeshire, Wales
she married
Samuel John Birth:    15 apr 1798 Roch, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Death:    aug 1871 Roch, Pembrokeshire, Wales

her parents were:

Stephen Sinnett Birth:    abt 1772 Pembrokeshire, Wales
and

Ann Walter Birth:    abt 1772 Pembrokeshire, Wales

what i would like to know is did ann have any siblings? what was stephen or anns parents names or siblings other kids etc ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Sinnett
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Where did ann's baptism details come from?
I can't see her on the IGI.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyPembroke.htm#R

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
Igi parent search from Stephen Sinnett bc 1772 details gives his siblings as:

James Sinnett 1768
Elizabeth Sinnett 1770
Stephen Sinnett 1772Mary Sinnett 1774

all Roch, pembroke.
check details if poss with local registers.
Diddy.
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Ann Sinnett  Birth:    7 Jan 1810 Roch, Pembrokeshire, Wales
she married Samuel John Birth: 15 apr 1798 Roch, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Death: aug 1871 Roch, Pembrokeshire, Wales her parents were:
Stephen Sinnett Birth: abt 1772 Pembrokeshire, Wales
and Ann Walter Birth: abt 1772 Pembrokeshire, Wales

I have had a 30 year interest in the Sinnett surname, although mine is related to Caldey Island, Tenby and Manorbier, somewhere along the line the Sinnett families from both sides of the haven must have a common ancestor, hence the note I took of your own interests.
I note that Stephen Sinnett married Mary Walter(no ‘s’) at Roch in 1809. For future reference there are no male Sinnett mrge’s in Roch pre 1809, from this can one deduce that Roch is Mary’s parents current residence, so looking else where in the area I note Joseph Sinnett mrd Ann Evans at Hubberston in 1771 and a John Sinnett mrd Anne Smith at Steyton in 1766.

I note the mrge of Thomas Walter(no ‘s’) to Martha William at Roch in 1784, Henry Walter to Dorothy Price at Roch in 1760 and David Walter to Dorothy Lewis at Roch in 1771. With the Walter surname being noted pre 1700 in Roch from the F.G. Collection, it looks as if Roch offers much for your Walter(s) research.
Have you looked at the will of Anne Sinnett of Roch 1832/63 or James Sinnett of Roch 1833/65? There are also a number of Walter(s) wills and John wills around the period of your interest. As you are probably aware all are available on line at the N.L.of W.
I would be interested to know when and where you have the mrge of Samuel John to Ann Sinnett ? I note a  Samuel (40) & Anne(30) John reside at Roch Lane Roch with 4 girls and 1 boy in ’41 giving an indication of mrge circa 1820. The only mrge I can find that equates to this couple is on 15 June 1819 Samuel John to Anne Thomas at Roch, but am quite prepared to be corrected.
Can I presume the dates you show are baptism and not birth as shown.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline sue alderton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have not been on roots chat for a long time but I noticed this post and the replies you received. I am researching the ancestryof Sir Walter Sinnett who sailed from Pembroke with his leige lords the de la Clares and the de Rochs in 1169 to "invade" Ireland. All the Sinnetts in Wexford Ireland and  Pembroke Wales can be dated back to him. I was wondering if you know anything about him as you mentioned ancestors that at least go back to the 1700s.

I know that Sir Walter Sinnett was a the son of a Flemish knight who sailed with William the Conqueror in 1066 and "invaded " England. As a reward his family the de Synots were granted land in Somerset and Lincolshire. However during the reign of Henry II the Flemish barons and their vassals were sent to subdue the difficult Welsh, these barons were called Marcher Lords. I think the De Synots name became anglised to Sinnett and I think they may have lived around the area where the small village of Sinet Inn is located?

I do not know the name of the original Flemish Knight who sailed with Willaim the Conqueror, he may have been Sir Walter de Synot? as this seems to be a common christian name even in your information.

Please get back to me I would be most interested in anything you say.

Sue

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 October 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
Sue, there are some old histories of the Wexford Sinnotts around that give the origin as being from France via Wales, including some online that you can download.  I can't find the reference to the one that I downloaded (free) but I'm sure I found it on google scholar.  It was about the Sinnotts of Ballymoyer.   If you go to a reasonable size library and ask, you may be able to get the librarian to identify others for you and arrange to interloan them for you.   Any Irish history of the time of Cromwell will give you some of the background to the French mercenaries who went first to Wales and then on to Ireland.   One of the Synnotts was given land in Wexford as a result of this (Ballymoyer and Ballybrennan are two of the key places,but there are others), and there are published genealogies of the Sinnott family of Wexford.   I did find it quite difficult to sort out the generations though, as they didn't generally give full dates, and there are so many similar first names.  Its also very hard to conclusively link those names from 1130 or so to 1500's to present names, without doing a lot of very academic research in documents (including originals) that can be quite difficult to read.

As far as who the "original knight" was, I don't think it was Walter - I kind of have in mind that it might have been a Richard, though I could be wrong.  You are right about there being loads of Walter's though.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 11:10 BST (UK) »

I would be interested to know when and where you have the mrge of Samuel John to Ann Sinnett ? I note a  Samuel (40) & Anne(30) John reside at Roch Lane Roch with 4 girls and 1 boy in ’41 giving an indication of mrge circa 1820. The only mrge I can find that equates to this couple is on 15 June 1819 Samuel John to Anne Thomas at Roch, but am quite prepared to be corrected.

Pembrokeshire parish records give a marriage of Samuel John to Anne Sinnett on 4 Dec 1838 Haverfordwest St Mary.  Samuel is a widower, farmer, of full age, of St Martins, son of David John, a farmer.  Anne Sinnett is a spinster, of full age, of Slade, dau of Stephen Sinnett, farmer.  Witnesses are Thomas Hawe and John Sinnett.

My guess would be that the Roch, Pembrokeshire 1841 census entry quoted is the right family, but that the first four children were actually children of Samuel's first marriage (to Anne THOMAS in 1819) as the ages of the children would fit with that, and with Anne Sinnett being a bit young to have been the mother at least of the earlier ones (even taking into account ages being rounded in the 1841 census).