Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83188 times)

Offline Kevin Kudoh

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
Does anybody remember the dairy attached to the side of the Willowbank pub on Smithdown Road, 1960's ?
I use to work at weekends and school holidays at that dairy.
It was called Henry Wynns, and I use to help deliver bottled milk (gold top was premium) also eggs and cheese to homes in the surrounding streets via a horse and cart ...

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Sunday 23 October 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Anyone interested in this topic might like to read a book with the same title, "Liverpool Cowkeepers", by Dave Joy, published recently by Amberley, paperback, 128 pages with lots of photos, £12.99.
The author is from a family which came from Wharfedale to the Garston area of Liverpool in the mid-1800s and set up a milk business which lasted for over a century.  He describes his family's continuing links with Yorkshire and includes much family history, as well as many names of other similar businesses.  A very interesting and well-researched read for anyone with interest in local or family history.

A

Offline CoatesW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 15 January 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »

My mams Aunty Mary Close from Sedbergh married cow keeper James Alderson from Swaledale and they lived in 76 Chester Road, Tuebrook, Liverpool and she corresponded with them often.
In the 1980’s I took mam on a visit there and she was expecting a farm not a terraced house. The cowsheds were probably on the now waste ground at the junction with Clifton Road East.
James Alderson arrived in Liverpool with his father George from Swaledale [a former lead miner], mother Ann along with sisters Margaret and Mary. On the same street {No 9] Robert Pratt arrived the same year as George in 1888. Christopher Lambert took over from Pratt as a cow keeper around 1925 and lived there until at least 1970. Lambert may have worked with the Aldersons or the Capstick’s in Marlborough Road four streets away. The Capstick’s were the last cow keepers to pull up sticks in 1975 and when the cows were taken away in a cattle truck, so ended a tradition that many in the city today know little about. All the listed cow keepers from Chester Road including the Capstick’s are names very familiar within the farming community ten miles of Hawes Junction Station. 

Re Dinsdales. They also lived at Brownmoor Farm Near Hawes, I knew a Wilson Dinsdale who lived in Gayle farmed in Widdale, buried in Hawes Cemetery located on the Burtersett side of Hawes
Dinsdales are well known in Gayle as Builders

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I think the person Ainslie mentions ( David Joy)as having written a book on the Cow Keepers is currently doing the local history society talks circuit in the North of England - should be possible to pick up a talk at a venue somewhere in the North if you are interested?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Glad5050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I used to live down Lower Breck Road. I remember Metcalf's Dairy. Used to see Mr Metcalf out with his horse and cart. This is a reply to Rattler.

Offline Glad5050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo dated c. 1900s taken on Townsend Lane in Anfield, just before the junction of Lower Breck Road.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Just attended a talk given by Dave Joy on those Cowkeepers, and his own two books- the fact that he arrived late didn't diminish it at all! It was fascinating. Felt sorry for two people who had come for his talk - and then left before he arrived late! They missed it after all the effort of getting there on a not very nice night.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline frirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 16 March 17 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

When I was growing up in Liverpool in the 1950's there was a dairy in Attwood St just off Sleepers Hill where they had cows in the back yard.  We used to love peeping over the gates to see them
Fancy that! My great grandmother was boarding with a cow keeper, a lady on Attwood in 1889! I did picture the cow splayed out in the front parlour having a nap! Thanks for clearing that up! My great grandad lived at 13 Attwood. 
Connor-Goodwin/Carroll/Allcock/McClure
Ross(er)- Maginnis/Herbert/Bellis/Hunt(er)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 16 March 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I can really visualise that! The image will stay with me for some time.....