Author Topic: Blencathra Sanatorium Burials  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Blencathra Sanatorium Burials
« on: Sunday 05 April 09 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My grandad's brother died of TB at the sanatorium on 28th Jan 1909 and I would like to know if he would have been buried in that area. Does anyone have any information of their burials?

Regards,
Colin

Offline KateB_2007

• I am sorry but I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blencathra Sanatorium Burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I grew up in Threlkeld.  I seem to remember some were buried in the Church Yard there.

Kate

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kate,

I never thought about them being buried in the local Churchyard.

Regards,
Colin

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 02:21 GMT (UK) »
I thought I might resurrect this posting as I still haven't found the burial of my Great Uncle and many more records are now available.

He was Charles Henry Cruddace from Gateshead, County Durham, age 27.
Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Colin

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
If your Gt Uncle was sent to Blencathra Sanatorium from Gateshead, after he died he may well have been taken back home for burial. I have researched a small number of people who died at Blencathra Sanatorium and they were buried in a churchyard near their home rather than Threlkeld Churchyard.

Ideally, the next step would be to check one way or another whether or not your Gt Uncle was buried in Threlkeld Churchyard. I understand the Burial Register for St Mary's, Threlkeld is still with the parish and with no copy in the County Archives.

If, on the other hand, the County Archives does have a copy of the Burial Register you could ask someone who is a regular visitor to the Archives if they could do a 'look up' for you. If your Gt Uncle is not buried there, then you would know to look around Gateshead for the burial location.

Good luck.

(Photograph of Threlkeld Churchyard attached)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jos,

I've checked for a burial in the Gateshead area so I'm fairly sure that he wasn't buried there. I thought I'd also checked for the local Threlkeld Church burials but if they haven't been deposited then it's not surprising I couldn't find him and RC'ers couldn't help.

I'll see if I can contact the Church directly for their advice.

Much obliged,
Colin

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,

To confirm the present situation about the burial registers for Threlkeld Parish (St Mary's) I have just checked the online catalogue of documents held by the Cumbria County Archives. The latest burial register they hold covers the period 1813 - 1901 (PR 70/60).

As you can see, unfortunately this is a little before the year you are looking for (1909). As you have already deduced, you would have to check with the parish about the possible burial of your Gt. Uncle.

Do you know (or believe) that your Great Uncle was a member of the Church of England? Threlkeld (St Mary's) a Church of England parish. If your Gt Uncle belonged to another denomination he may have been buried in a different churchyard.

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 12 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jos,

After your initial post, I was able to send an email to St Mary's through the  'A Church Near You' website. Fingers-crossed, I'll receive a reply fairly soon and will post the result.

The family were all C of E, and I haven't found any information to indicate that any moved to a different denomination. Do you happen to know if any records for Blencathra have been deposited anywhere?

Regards,
Colin

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 February 12 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,
It just so happens that I was at Carlisle Archives this morning chasing a death at Blencathra.  I can confirm Jos's posting that there is nothing deposited after 1901 regarding deaths at the Threlkeld Parish Church.  Church still holds the register and no one appears to have transcribed the gravestones.  However, I understand the Archdeacon of Carlisle has been round all the parishes and is urging the churches to deposit their records at the archives.
Some records of the sanitorium are at Carlisle Archives. The following may be of interest:
T/HOS/10/4  Six vols admissions registers 1904-1958 (continuous)
T/HOS/10/7  Case Files 1904-1915
T/HOS/10/8  Visitors Book 1904-1939
Looks like you are in luck with the case files
PM me if you want me to look at anything for you.

Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,