Author Topic: William Hamilton Urquhart of Meldrum  (Read 6719 times)

Offline James C McVittie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hamilton Urquhart of Meldrum
« on: Saturday 11 April 09 05:13 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm trying to confirm the parents of my 3 x Great grandfather William Hamilton Urquhart born, we believe, on the 6th of August 1800 in Scotland and died on the 15th of February 1881 probably India. He worked in some capacity for the Hon. East India Company and held a responsible position based in Muzzarfarpur district, Calcutta, in Opium Excise. He was also at other times an Indigo Planter. He married an Alice Smith on the 5th of February 1828 in Calcutta, India. He was based in Bihar for most of his career and he and his family appear in the births deaths and marriages of the India records based in the British Library. From a family tree that I have he is recorded as "of Meldrum" but unfortunately I cannot pin down his position within that well documented family. I have found one possible link that records a William born to William Urquhart who became clan chief in 1741 by his second marriage to a Anne daughter of William Scott a merchant from Aberdeen who by her had son, William who left a son, William now deceased..... (printed in - A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland Enjoying Territorial Possessions Or High Official Rank: But Uninvested with Heritable Honours
By John Burke, Published by Colburn, 1836) see google books.
So many Williams I've found it difficult to pin him down and with the added India connection even more difficult. If any one can assist me with info or research tips or has a comprehensive tree on the Urquhart family of Meldrum for my Williams time I would be very grateful.
I look forward to your posts, Many thanks , James McV

Offline Magus07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Hamilton Urquhart of Meldrum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from this William Hamilton Urquhart through his daughter Emmeline.
I would be most grateful if you could keep me informed of any successes with pinning him down.

Emmeline married a John Mannin McNamara probably from the Co Clare but he is proving equally elusive.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
James,

Don't know if you've seen this -

http://www.stirnet.com/main/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=79&startUrl=http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/uv/urquhart2.htm

Another place you could try is the Aberdeenshire library service. Their headquarters is in Oldmeldrum, and there is a guy there who is very helpful. His name is David (I think!) Catto. Here's a link to their contacts page - http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/libraries/contact.asp

You could also try the Aberdeenshire archives - http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/familyhistory/records.asp

There is a street in Oldmeldrum called Urquhart Road, which I assume is connected to the same Urquharts.

Just on a slightly different tack, you may be able to help me. In my Wife's family tree, there is an Alexander Leith, who is shown on the 1851 census as age 54, and a pensioner of the Honourable East India Company. He does not appear on the 1841 census, but his wife Jane Leith is there, and under occupation is "Pensioners wife".

I can only assume that he must have been someone of some importance to the HEIC if he was a pensioner at age 44, since pensions were a bit rare at this time.

Is there any way of finding out any more information on him from records of the HEIC?  Do they even exist today, and where would I start looking?

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Had a bit of bother with my confuser, and managed to post twice.

Ignore this, please

Offline James C McVittie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 October 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Jim,
Many thanks for your suggestions, I will have a look at the links you have noted particularly the Aberdeen ones. I have come across the Stirnet link before and have had a brief subscription to it but it mostly seems that they list copies of Burkes or Debretts and rarely provideds anything new that is not in public records. Thank you for the tips. 
With regards to the British Library. I visited the India records room and came across a large archive of the East India Company and the people employed and would recomend you visit. In addition I suggest you visit the India Records site of the Library at http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx that will give you some leads to follow.

Dear Magnus,
I am interested to find out more of your link to William and would be pleased to give you all I have found to date on him and your family that I have managed to put together. I notice that you do not have the first "a" in MacNamara as I have in the records I have found, is this just an error form you or has the family name spelling since changed?
I have since discovered the William came back to England on his retirement from India in 1871 and died in London in 1881 while staying with his sister.
I have put all I have on the Genes Reunited website and if you are member I would be happy to share my tree. I also have a book that I found on line that mentions William and the life in India that he lived that may also be of interest.
I look foreward to hearing from you and sharing the information,
Best wishes,
James

Offline Magus07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Dear James

We have never used "MacNamara" in the family and there is some internet support for this - see:-

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/IGI/individual_record.asp?recid=100109483170&lds=1&region=1&frompage=99

I will have to widen my searching! (When I have extricated myself from my current track - Garrett, Raymond and Odell in the Irish mists!)

The daughter of John Mannin and Emmeline Cecilia - Edith Geraldine McNamara (my great grandmother) m James Hugh Eliot Garrett who was an Indian Civil Servant based in various places including Calcutta but ending up in Delhi as one of the main organisers of the Imperial Durbah after which he retired to England. We have a fascinating scrap book compiled by his father William.

Edith died when I was 14 and only lived quarter of a mile from us in Sussex (UK), so I new her well.

My grandmother, Winifred Raymond Garrett, was born in India (Darjeeling I believe) but was still young on her return to England. She married Arthur Havard Arnold Gem in the early twenties.

I can flesh this out with siblings and some dates etc. if you are interested.

Unfortunately I am not a member of Genes Reunited so unless another option is open....

Best regards

Gus (Magus07)

ps - I am now living in Manchester, England

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 09 13:33 BST (UK) »

With regards to the British Library. I visited the India records room and came across a large archive of the East India Company and the people employed and would recomend you visit. In addition I suggest you visit the India Records site of the Library at http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx that will give you some leads to follow.

Thanks for that, James. Another lead for me to follow up on.

Cheers
Jim

Offline Lyne2761

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I realise this is an old post but i am be able to help trace your ancestors.  I have pedigree ( family tree generated in 1908 and traces the history from 1420 to 1895 and includes William Hamilton Urquhurt.  Contact me if you would like a copy of it.  And yes there are links to the Macnamaras as Emmelaine married J MacNamarra . email address eudeyfamily@bigpond.com

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Just on a slightly different tack, you may be able to help me. In my Wife's family tree, there is an Alexander Leith, who is shown on the 1851 census as age 54, and a pensioner of the Honourable East India Company. He does not appear on the 1841 census, but his wife Jane Leith is there, and under occupation is "Pensioners wife".

I can only assume that he must have been someone of some importance to the HEIC if he was a pensioner at age 44, since pensions were a bit rare at this time.
Your assumption is not safe. 'Pensioner' at this time generally means that the person was receiving an Army pension, i.e. that they had served as a soldier. So the implication is almost the opposite of what you had assumed.

Is there any way of finding out any more information on him from records of the HEIC?  Do they even exist today, and where would I start looking?
You would start looking in the India Office records in the British Library.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.