Author Topic: WHAT REGT : RANK : WAR RECORD ?  (Read 17590 times)

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT REGT : RANK : WAR RECORD ?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 February 05 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Have just viewed  my posting.     Am evidently totally incompetant  at posting pictures.
 Will try to include the missing ones with this.

Percy
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 February 05 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Obviously a sergeant.

Having had a good study of all the features, including the little bits that show in between the main six elements (I don't think it is a six point star) I think it is the Bedfordshire Regmt.

The middle one of the image below is the 1916-1919 version (solid in the centre)..as I said earlier, without better resolution I don't think we can be certain....In my mind I can make it look like the Army Cyclists Corps.

If you want to e-mail me a larger good quality file, I can try to be more positive.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Percy, took it upon myself to post the photo on the 1914-18 war forum, got a couple of replies, the badge could be a Canadian machine gun corps or general service badge, he is a Sergent and has a battle patch on both sleeves above his stripes, maybe  1st Canadian Corps.

Percy if you click on www.1914-1918.net then click on the forum top right of page, then scroll down untill you come to ''uniforms,arms, insignia, equitment, medals.'' click on that, then scroll down and click on ''badge and year of photo identification by mcfc1923 (That's me).

I'm sure plenty more will be posted about your photo during the course of the day.

jim
WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 11:31 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much  for your reply, and for posting on the 1914-1918 forum.

Brilliant information about the  'battle patches'. --- I had supposed they were regimental 'flashes'.

What do you think of the possibility of  it being New Zealand  Machine Gunners --- or NZ Rifles ?

Got to go right now but will look up your 'link' at earliest opportunity.

Thanks again and kind regards,       Percy
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 11:52 GMT (UK) »
No problem Pecy, glad to be of help, the guy who said it was a battle patch is Paul Reed who has written numerous books including a bestseller on walking the somme, i completely forgotten to give them the name of the soldier and where he was born, so i'll post that info to them and i'm sure they will give me more info, i only asked them to identify the badge, once you can pin down his regiment exactly it should not nbe a problem to trace his monements during the great war.
i will ask them about the possibility of it being NZ MG, or NZ Rifles 
Regards

jim

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Documents Online part of the National Archives have a war medal card for a Sydney Sandys (albeit he is a private):

Two Corps:

Border Regiment   his Regiment No  33926

and

Loyal North Lancashire regiment  his Regiment Number 27749

Any chance this might have been him?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 12:23 GMT (UK) »
The Loyal North Lancashire person was killed in 1917 age 20 and he was a Sydney C Sandys.

With the movement of Sydney R Sandys around the world there is every chance he could be in Aussie, New Zealand, Canadian, British or possibly South African uniform....the badges for which are nearly all based upon British Design.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi scotsmum, thought it mite be him myself, but acording to the war graves commision he died in 1917, and percy said he survived the war and that the photo was taken in 1917.

regards

jim

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 12:30 GMT (UK) »
 :-[...forgot to cross reference that....never mind...with lots of you on the job I am sure someone will find him soon. 

Happy searching.

ps

Don't suppose he got married during his time in service?  For someone in my own line I have a Scottish marriage certificate from 1915 which states the groom's regiment and number as well as his father's regiment and number (although for another line I also have an Irish one from 1917 that just says soldier). Just a thought.

pps

Another Medal Card one:

Sidney Sandy (again a private) Somerset Light Infantry  and Royal Engineers
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .