Author Topic: DALY, SULLIVAN, COHALAN MALLOW  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Alice Reville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DALY, SULLIVAN, COHALAN MALLOW
« on: Monday 20 April 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Looking for any connection in Mallow for my DALY, SULLIVAN, AND COHALAN ancestors.
James Daly from Mallow, County Cork, born May 1825. Pretty sure he also had a sister Julia Daly.  Son of Timothy Daly (born circa 1790's) and Julia SULLIVAN Daly.  Timothy Daly appears in Griffins Valuation as living on Dealyard Lane in Mallow. That is right near St. James Church.  Timothy was said to have been a tailor who made gentlemen's coats, etc. Timothy may have lived and worked in Cork City before being in Mallow, or maybe had a shop doing tailoring still in Cork City even when living in Mallow?

So, if anyone around Mallow could see if there may be a grave for Timothy and Julia (Sullivan) Daly in the St. James Churchyard, that would help a lot also.

One of James Daly's grandmothers (not sure if a Daly or Sullivan) became a widow and remarried to a COHALAN, who may have been a farmer and COHALAN had two sons from his previous marriage, who are said to have rode around on their horses"

James Daly emigrated to USA - first to New York, then New Jersey before 1860.

Any help filling in some blanks greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Alice Reville Tomlin

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DALY, SULLIVAN, COHALAN MALLOW
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Alice,

The Timothy Daly you mention on Dealyard Lane in Mallow is a relative of mine, I think he is either the Uncle or the Brother of my Great Great Grandmother Mary Daly. On her marriage cert to Richard Woods in Castletownroche in 1866, Mary states her father was Tad Daly, Thaddeus Daly is also listed on the Griffiths Valuation for Mallow on Deal Yard Lane. On the marriage cert Mary states her father's occupation was laborer. I recently found that Mary's grandchild (son of Helen Woods) James Magner was born on Dealyard Lane in August 1899. Tad (Timothy) Daly I believe died in Mallow workhouse on February 19, 1875.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you found that Timothy was a tailor?

Regards,
Alan