Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 34830 times)

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Freeas,

By chance I have a copy of the Leverton Parish Registers (micro fiche) which I have borrowed to look for the Robbins family. I have, in the past looked for Dawson as there was a Theodosia North who married Charles Dawson (1838) and some of their children were christened or buried at Leverton. Charles was baptised at Great Hale in 1811.

I don't know of a Frances Dawson but I can have a look for you. It is early morning here. These days I have to take micro fiche to my local library to view them, hopefully I can do that later today.  Will be in touch again soon.

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

This afternoon I was able to have a look at Leverton Parish Registers. I searched from 1785 to 1812 and only found two Dawson events. First the burial of the infant Elizabeth daughter of Mary Dawson 13th Jan 1797 (I looked for but failed to find a baptism for this child). Second I found the marriage of George DAWSON of Sausthorp [sic] and Elizabeth VOUCHER of this Parish 25th November 1788. They were married by Banns, George was able to sign his name but Elizabeth made her mark. The witnesses were John DAWSON and John BROWN. Judging by the number of marriages John Brown witnessed I would guess he was the parish clerk.

It is possible that Frances Dawson was christened at some other place not too far away and then the family moved to Leverton whilst she was very young. When this happens it can be that the person then believes he/she was born in the place where they were brought up. However you did seem to be somewhat uncertain about Frances’ maiden name so I looked again at the baptisms for the years 1796, 1797 and 1798. There was just one child christened Frances in these three years and she was the daughter of John and Mary WILKINSON on 23rd June 1797. John and Mary christened other children at Leverton I won’t write up the details here but if you eventually find you need to know please ask and I will send them to you.

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 05 August 10 15:08 BST (UK) »
I only got as far as the IGI, found no Dawson entries in Leverton, but plenty of them in neighbouring parishes and parishes within 4 or 5 miles. Suggest broadeneing the search might help.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Crans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I just discovered this forum and my link to the Dawson family is through William Thompson Dawson's son, John Watson Dawson and ends in Canada with my grandmother Ada May Dawson. I can supply a GEDCOM file if anyone is interested.
I was wondering if anyone knows whether WT Dawson had any brothers or sisters as when I first started putting this together I found all sorts of Dawson links into the US before I realized my error. My Dawson line came from Wisbech and not being familiar with Englands, districts it became very confusing. I managed to find a 5x cousin who pointed me in the right direction and I believe my tree is correct however I have learned to leave no stone unturned when finding family.
I do understand the size of the Dawson family and was wondering if anyone had a link to the Cranstoun family. The Cranstoun family came from Antigua however I can't document anything back to england or Scotland from there other than supposition.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
A 37 marker Y chromosome DNA test might help if sufficient males are interested.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 30 November 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crans,

The Dawsons were spread very wide in Lincolnshire and it can be tricky to be sure you have the correct ones!

William Thompson Dawson had a brother - Edward baptized 1773 (I have no further info for him)  and a sister Mary (Baptized in 1777)  she married a Thomas Godley. They were born in Great Hale, Lincolnshire.

William Thompson Dawson had 13 children by his first wife Penelope Watson who died in 1821 (probably through exhaustion!) and he then married Mary Ann Watson.  I have a family group sheet that another researcher kindly shared with me that you may be interested to see to see if it matches with your information - it goes to 1873 as is linked to Kngs Lynn.  If you send me a private message with an email address I can send to you.

I would be interested to take a look at your GEDCOM file too to add to the family info.

Ruthy

Offline freeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 30 June 13 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help and suggestions re my Frances Dawson request. I will explore the possible Wilkinson suggestion and broaden my search to villages neighbouring Leverton. I think the key might be the marriage certificate from London in 1816.

Regards

Nick Freeman (freeas)

Offline 1.james.dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 02 January 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm newly registered to this forum and I have found this thread to be completely fascinating. I am direct descendant of Dawson's from Lincolnshire. I'm from Michigan, USA. My Grandfather Harold Martin Dawson was also born in Michigan, USA. His Father was George Henry "Harry" Dawson, Mother was Mary Lydia Walker, and they were both born in Ontario, Canada. George Henry Dawson's Father was George Cartwright Dawson, who was born in Gt Steeping, and died in Michigan, USA. George Cartwright Dawson's father was Cartwright Dawson also of Lincolnshire. Cartwright's father was Thomas Dawson, who was married to Ann Cartwright. According to one of my relatives here in Michigan, the parents of Thomas were Edward Dawson and Martha Dowse. The picture I posted is of George Cartwright and Sarah Ann Dennis circa 1890.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 04 January 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello James, Firstly we are definitely connected, but it is a little obscure. George Cartwright Dawson's mother was Susannah nee Hudson, bn 1823. She married Cartwright sometime in the early 1840s, their first child, Sarah Ann was born in 1845.Your ancestor was their 5th child b 1851 at Mablethorpe, Lincs according to what I have. Together they had 10 children, before George's death in 1860. She then remarried William Luffman (b 1821 Alford Lincs) older brother of my grandfather, Richard who was born in 1828. William and Susannah had 3 further children together, and i have tracked something of their history into the 20th century. Before we can exchange details (by personal message) see site rules you must send a total of 3 posts. Then you can send me a message and we can exchange email addresses if you wish.There is quite a lot about Susannah Hudson and the earlier connections of Hudson's to the Luffman family already on this site dating back three or four years, which you can readily access by going into Search and inputting Susannah Hudson. It is quite a fascinating story which i am thinking very seriously about writing up from a somewhat different angle. On marriage William Luffman immediately went from Farm labourer to Farmer. This was because in 1860 a widow had no rights to her late husband's property unless she had been already willed it by him.This was rectified in 1885 by the married Women's property Act.
Look forwards to hearing from you.