Author Topic: Luton - William YOUNG m:Cornelia HOOKER 1803  (Read 7899 times)

Offline krystalRose59

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Luton - William YOUNG m:Cornelia HOOKER 1803
« on: Friday 08 May 09 04:30 BST (UK) »
I cannot find the family or anymore information on this couple.The marriage and children are all I have. Any help I can get would greatly be appreciated... thank-you
YOUNG, HOOKER, DAY,

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Luton....William Young m:Cornelia Hooker 1803
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 09 06:47 BST (UK) »
morning;

the IGI has 2 extracted  baptism entries of (1) Cornalia & (2) Cornealia Hooker at Luton, St Marys on 29 July 1784 to parents Richard & Mary Hooker. They also baptised Richard 11/01/1782 & Amelia 19/08/1787.

on that same batch are 2 William Youngs in 1777 - but thats only a wild guess if this is your man

Cornelia Young was a widow on 1851 census age 64 born Luton

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
Morning John, yet another public holiday here, with weather to match

We've dissected this couple before on this board, and on other boards. Was it Cornelia or was it really her sister Amelia who married William Young? We solved that one by finding the burial of Amelia a couple of months after she was baptised. Unfortunately William and Cornelia's first son is shown on the IGI as having parents William and Amelia, which is either a PR error or an IGI transcription error, and will take reference to the PR to decide which it is.

Cindy has been given Cornealia's baptism details before - see http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=4207&p=localities.britisles.england.bdf.general , and for her to say "I cannot find the family or anymore information on this couple" is a bit of a misrepresentation! See http://boards.ancestry.myfamily.com/surnames.day/3806/mb.ashx (edit - I have added replies to this post this afternoon. I don't usually look at Herts boards)

William Young age 46 was buried at Luton on 2 Apr 1824. I can't see what happened to the other William Young baptised in 1777 in Luton. John, do you think that as one of the two Williams was named as the son of William Young and Mary Robinson he was illegitimate? Would need reference to the PR probably. Can't see any other Luton baptisms in 1777 where the maiden name of the mother is shown.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

Thanks for the heads up regarding this information request.  I wish people would be specific as to what they really want & perhaps what they already know. There's no point asking for info when they already know it - unless they're looking for confirmation.

Krystal - on GenesReunited there are 2 trees with Cornelia Hooker 1784 Luton who also have William Young 1783 or 1777 Luton. Suggest you make contact - if you have not done so already.

David; Noticed the cricket has just resumed - have a good holiday

regards John 

Clement - Croydon

Offline krystalRose59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Luton - William YOUNG m:Cornelia HOOKER 1803
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, We have discussed this before. Just as I will keep posting about the  uniform Im trying to identify. I do this in hopes someone new with new eyes and new data access, might be able to find something that others have missed. I dont expect people to answer over and over the same question. I do appreciate the effort. But unless you have access to every database in the world, I dont think it is asking too much to just pass the post by if your not interested in answering. I appreciate any info you assisted me with in the past.My past efforts were focused on Cornelia. I am now focused on William.I understand information before 1800 is hard to obtain. and that I might be asking too much... My apologies for wasting you or anyone elses time
YOUNG, HOOKER, DAY,

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Why not put exactly what you're looking for, rather than misrepresenting what you know, or rather don't know? If you're looking for William Young's baptism and parents say just that. You sent JohnP off on a wild goose chase looking for Cornelia Hooker when you already have her baptism details and parents, and her parents' marriage in Herts.

There aren't a limitless number of databases in the world. When it comes to baptisms, marriages, and burials, there's effectively one source - the parish register. And it's not difficult to obtain pre 1800 information, particularly in Beds where virtually all pre 1812 baptisms and marriages have been extracted onto the IGI, which you in the USA can access free of charge on the internet, exactly the same as John in Beds, or I in France, can. There is no other database that a fresh pair of eyes can look at. But constantly over a period of years posting the same question on a series of boards is time wasting, and, as you've found, you will get the same answer each time.

Delighted that you've finally moved away from Cornelia and are now looking at William Young. As you may have noticed we have tried to address that issue, but looking for his baptism on the IGI is something you can do. Once you've digested the information we gave you, and if you run into problems, as you will with William, then ask for help.

David
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 May 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
From the Luton PR, the baptism of William Young on 03 Nov 1805 certainly says son of William & Amelia, but we know that Amelia Hooker was buried 3/11/1787.

William Young baptism 26/01/1777 just says son of Thomas Young & Elizabeth

William Young baptism 19/05/1777 says son of William Young & Mary Robinson.
It does not state he was illegitimate. 

There were no other Youngs baptised to either set of these parents as far as I could see.

Regards John
Clement - Croydon

Offline krystalRose59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 May 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thank- you very much for your time on this issue. And thank- you to all that I have wasted time on this issue.
YOUNG, HOOKER, DAY,

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 May 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
I thought it might be useful to summarise and pull together what you’ve been told over the years in various threads on a number of boards about the Hooker/Young family:

First generation

John GUNNELL of Crow End, St Pauls Walden, Herts (alive in 1747)

Second generation

(daughter) GUNNELL married (--?--) DAY (I can’t find any such marriage on the Herts Allen Marriage Index)

Third generation

William DAY born say 1730, married Susanna WHIT on 30 Sept 1753 at Sandridge, Herts. He died in 1795 at Childwick Green, Herts

Fourth generation

Mary DAY was baptised on 23 Jan 1757 at St Michael, St Albans, Herts. She married Richard HOOKER of Redbourne on 14 Oct 1777 at St Michael, St Albans, Herts. She was buried on 5 Jan 1830 at Luton aged 73. Richard was buried on 30 July 1793 at Luton.

Fifth generation

Cornelia/Cornealia/Cornalia HOOKER was baptised on 29 July 1784 at Luton, and married William YOUNG on 26 April 1803 at Luton. William was buried on 2 April 1824 at Luton aged 46. Can’t trace her death in England – could she have emigrated with her son to the USA?  Last seen in England in 1851

Amelia HOOKER was baptised on 19 August 1787 at Luton, where she was buried on 3 Nov 1787

Sixth generation

William and Cornelia YOUNG had the following children, all baptised at Luton:

3 Nov 1805 William. In the IGI his parents are described as William and Amelia, which is an error; either mistranscription by the IGI or the wrong name in the parish register.
25 Oct 1807 Richard
11 Feb 1810 Thomas   
9 Dec 1812 Mary. Buried 18 Aug 1822 age 11 at Luton
28 May 1815 Amos
8 Oct 1819 Matthew
9 May 1823 Sarah Buried 7 March 1833 age 11 at Luton

Lease dated 1 May 1835 confirms the age order of the children, and that William was the son of Cornelia, not Amelia –
Cross Keys Inn, Luton. Lease (counterpart)
(i) Cornelia Young, Luton, widow
(ii) William Young, Richard Young, Thomas Young, Amos Young, Luton, sons of (i)
(iii) Charles Austin, Luton, gentleman
(iv) Frederick Burr, Luton, Esquire reciting Will of Mary Hooker, late of Luton, widow, deceased dated - 18 -, by which she devised her freehold messuage and public house in Luton called the Cross Keys in the occupation of herself and her daughter (i), to said daughter for life. After her decease she devised same to (iii) and Edward Cain (since deceased) for sale when youngest child of Cornelia should attain 21. Proceeds to be divided among (ii) and also Matthew Young (in will called by mistake Martha Young) and Sarah Young, the six children of (i), in equal shares. In meantime public house to be let. Reciting also death of Sarah Young and Edward Cain and that Matthew Young (youngest surviving child of (i)) is 15. All others being 21.

Seventh generation

William YOUNG, son of William and Cornelia, married Frances HOOKER (bap 1810, the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth) on 17 Nov 1831 at Luton. William was described as a straw bonnet presser in 1841 and a plait bleacher in a straw factory in 1851 Emigrated to the USA in the early 1860s. Their son William had emigrated circa five years earlier.

David