Author Topic: thanks for advice, re genesconnected  (Read 4914 times)

Offline missjo123

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
thanks for advice, re genesconnected
« on: Wednesday 28 April 04 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Wanted to say thank you for all your advice/tip/opinions re my message about the genesconnected site,  i have for now decided not to become a member.  

I have to say ive found rootschat really helpful,  im always reading the messages and seeing if any info maybe of use to me, im addicted..lol.  

Ive only been using the site for about a couple of weeks and only for about the same to research my family history  (had looked into it few years back, but had no computer etc).  I think i probably get a little impatient with my search,  no one in my family seems to know much about the family,  hence ive not got very far (literally,  in fact embarrasingly not very far),  im at present waiting for birth certificate for my grandad (can anyone tell me how long i will be waiting?).   So i think i may be getting a little impatient as i feel i cant really to much more.  Was maybe hoping genesconnected may of been able to give me a link, i think.  

I also havent a clue about the census business at all,  and feel totally thick to admit this.   I also been given another website 1837online.com, that i was told is very useful,  had a look and im lost, what do i use this for,  have read the notes on the site,  but im lost,  maybe again im impatient and am trying to take too much in at the same time.

Well sorry for rambling,  any more help/advice is really appreciated.

Josie

JOSIE XX

blood, hooper, fraser/frazer, wickham

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re:thanks for advice, re genesconnected
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 09:59 BST (UK) »

Hello - if you ordered your Cert from the General Reg. Office they are currently quoting a 10 day wait.

If you know where an event was registered try that Register Ofice first, it's often much quicker and is a little bit less expensive.  You do sometimes have to write in and send a cheque - always worth a phone call as well to check that they will supply Certs for Family History, some won't as they don't have the staff to cover the demand.

Free BMD is the first place to start looking for Birth, Death, Marriage's when you want to order a Cert. What you will find is a reference to the District Volume and Page for the event - this makes it easier to order - but these reference no's are only relevant to the GRO ordering system, they won't help if you order from the local office.,

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie
           Dont get disheartened if things take time after all your distance relatives are not going anywhere, and the rewards of a little patience will far outweight the disapointments that we all get from time to time when things dont work out right.
          Which area of the country are you in ?
There may be someone who could point you in the right direction with advice as to the best 'free lookups'.

good luck

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 12:04 BST (UK) »
missjo123

You should get a good book from your library or a good bookshop or go to www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html.

You ould also get Family Tree magazine or look at it's website for sister publications.  There are also night classes which are very good for a beginner.  Most of us knew nothing when we bean

I have been doing family history for 15 years and still don't know everything.  It takes time and patience.  I went to my local LDS family history centre every week for about five years.  So you see you must have a lot of patience and some money to spare for certificates etc.

1837online is for looking up births marriages and deaths but it can be expensive if you don't know when the events happened.
People here listed sites to look at.  Put them on your favourites and take your time to look at them.  Don't pay out anything until it is neccesary.

Do some reading and ask questions,

Good luck it's an addictive hobby.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline missjo123

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hiya  

Im from Kent.

So far have found out that my grandad (dads side) was born in Devonport,  and in brother was born in Farnham.

My nans dad (dads side again) was born in Kent,  as ive found him on the 1901 census.

Josie
JOSIE XX

blood, hooper, fraser/frazer, wickham

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie
        Try this link for starters
 http://www.rootsweb.com/~engken/
  It is all relavant to your area. Another useful link is this one
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php

Any questions dont be afraid to ask.
good luck

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 14:07 BST (UK) »
It can be slow going in England and Wales, they don't honour the female line so much.  Scottish registry always has full details of mothers on BM & D so you travel back in time a bit quicker.  But all the same, don't get disheartened!  It's like a gold rush on other days...

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!