Author Topic: Ellison - York/Toronto - pre1835?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Hattiemcb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellison - York/Toronto - pre1835?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa:

My husband helped me go through the 1842 Census to try to figure out the columns with the information link you provided.  Here is what we came up with:

William Ellison and family lived in a house owned by John Purlong.  William's occupation is carpenter.  4 people in the house were of Irish origin.  4 people in the house were of British origin.  Years in Ontario was 10. 

There was one male 5 years of age and under (probably Joseph Ellison born April 14, 1842 in my records) and 2 females 5 years of age and under.  This means they were born between 1837 and 1842. 

There was one male above 5 but younger than 14.  This means he was born between 1828 and 1837. 

There was one male (single) 14 but younger than 18.  This means he was born between 1824 and 1828.

There was one male (married), William, 30 but younger than 60.  William would have been 47 years old.

There was one female (married), Jane, 14 but younger than 45.  Jane would have been 31.

There was one female (single) 14 but younger than 45.  This means she was born between 1797 and 1828.

There were 8 people (same number as tallied above) who were of the Church of England.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 January 16 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in writing; I've been sick.

Comparing the 1842 census against my records (I believe I only have rough estimates of birth years for William's and Jane's children), it appears that two families were living in the Ellison household?

When I was actively researching the Ellisons, I did not have access to Anc*try, so my records are not very complete.  I hopefully can gather my Ellison information together and determine what I found.

There was one female (single) 14 but younger than 45.  This means she was born between 1797 and 1828.

I wonder if she could have been a sister to William Ellison, Mary ? Ellison or Jane Brown.   :-\

It appears that the man who owned the house was John Furlong (he is shown in the 1847 Toronto Directory).  I did a brief search for this man to see if I could find a tie to William Ellison, but so far have not come up with anything.

I look forward to resuming the Ellison research, and will send you a private message.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Mary was the name of William's first wife:
York General Burying Ground / Potter's Field Cemetery
Mary Ellison, born Ireland, age 37 (born c1797), buried 8 July, 1834, wife of William Ellison.  Cholera.  Plot No. 64
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH64-J3P
Christian Elizabeth Ellison, born Toronto, UC; age 4 months, buried 23 July 1834, daughter of William and Mary Ellison. Convulsions. Plot No. 64
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH64-PNG
William Ellison, born City of Toronto, age 1 yr, 1 mo, 2 wks; son of William and Jane Ellison.  Teething.  Plot No. 64
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH64-NCF

Just coincidence that they were all buried in the same plot? Could the plot have held numerous interments, or just a few?   :-\

Also, were there two William and Mary Ellisons?  Or, could Alexander have been another son?
Alexander Ellison, born Ireland, age 21 years, buried 23 October 1845; son of William and Mary Ellison.  Cause of death:  Kings Evil.  No plot number mentioned.
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRKS-WJC
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Hattiemcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh....the plot thickens....

Yes, Alexander could have been the son listed as born between 1824 - 1828 in the 1842 census.  If he was 21 in 1845, he would have been born ca 1824.  If you include him and the 3 adults as being the 4 of Irish origin, and the other 4 children as being of British origin (ie. Canada) the Census makes perfect sense. 

Little William Ellison would not have been on the 1842 census as he died just prior to it.  William and Jane married in September, 1839 and little William was born in June, 1940.  The math works.   :)  He was a honeymoon baby. 

I would say that plot with Mary, Christian and William must be the same family.  It is just too much of a coincidence not to be. 

Oh you are very good at this Lisa.  Bravo!!!! 

So I just had to find out what is "kings evil".  This is what I found:

Mycobacterial cervical lymphadenitis, also known as scrofula or King's evil, refers to a lymphadenitis of the cervical lymph nodes associated with tuberculosis as well as non-tuberculous (atypical) mycobacteria.  In the Middle Ages it was believed in England and France that a touch from royalty could heal it.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 04:01 GMT (UK) »
I've sent the cemetery group an email, asking if there is a way to determine if Plot 64 was a small (family) plot, or perhaps just a section in the cemetery.  I will let you know if I receive any results.

Until we find out more about the individuals, I hesitate to confirm they are connected.  I assumed something years ago with my Ovens ancestors and I found out many years later that I was wrong.  So now, I need solid proof before I conclude anything.  ;)

Trying a different angle, I looked through the Toronto Directories and the first time William Ellison is mentioned was in 1850-1.  I wonder why he wasn't listed prior to that date (1833, 1837, 1843-4, and 1846).

According to my 5-generation chart, William Ellison was born in County Wicklow, Ireland.  I don't remember from which document I acquired that information, but I am still looking through my records.

I hadn't thought of the connection of little William's birth, with the marriage of his parents.  Good thinking.   :)   Poor little William; just over age 1 when he died.   :'(

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 04:52 GMT (UK) »
This most likely is just coincidental, but adding it in case there is a connection...

Someone on one of the pay sites has a tree:
William Henry Ellison, born 1837, Co Wicklow, Ireland.  Occupation: Carpenter
He married (Sarah) in Canada in 1867.  His first child was born in Toronto
The family settled in Cook County, Illinois c1880
His father apparently was William Henry Ellison, Sr.  His mother was Sarah

I was trying to find any Ellison, living in North America, who was born in County Wicklow and was a carpenter (hoping to find a sibling or parent of William's).  Odd that (so far) the only person fitting that description lived in Toronto for a time.

Offline Hattiemcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm...I can't see any connection with William Henry Ellison to our Ellisons in my family tree records. 

I went through my records to see where I came up with County Wicklow Ireland, but I think Bob must have got the information from you when you were working with him on the family tree.  All my records just say Ireland.  In fact, it looks like I was actively searching for the exact location some years ago without any success. 

Offline Hattiemcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Bob said "Wicklow" may have come from when we had the "pay site" and it could have been a leaf.  We may have imported it from someone else there in that manner.

Offline Hattiemcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I found an 1831 census in Ireland that has a William Ellison:  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1831/Londonderry/Loughinsholin/Desertmartin/Luney/43/ 

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing if this is our William Ellison or a descendant of our William Ellison as there are no ages.  The information is very limited but I thought I'd put it out there.