Author Topic: The New Cleveland Arms/Hartlepool  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
  • One little squirrel can do alot
    • View Profile
The New Cleveland Arms/Hartlepool
« on: Sunday 24 May 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all!
My 3rd great grandmother Martha Chisholm worked at the New Cleveland Arms, so I found in the 1861 Census record. It was located on Northgate Street in Hartlepool and was run by William Stones. Are there any pictures of this place that exist, or any stories/histories? Was it a pub, or something else? I believe this is where Martha met the unknown father of her only child, so I am very interested in it.
Any help is appreciated!  Thank you!  :)
Squirrel
Laybourn/Leybourne, Kearney, Wandlass, Stephenson, Chisholm, Dodson, Barkass, Forster, Wright, Martin, Hall<br /><br />Areas: Hartlepool, Southwick, Sunderland, Staindrop, and Stockton

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The New Cleveland Arms/Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Squirrel,

Can't help very much but as I am a native of Hartlepool I have had a look around some local websites and other references. The New Cleveland Arms would certainly be a pub and on a now defunct website the author said its name was changed to The Fleece. In fact there is a pub to-day on Northgate called The New Fleece. However I have a feeling that this may be a new building and not the one your ancestor managed.

By the way the name of the street is just Northgate - the "gate" bit means "street".

Hope this is of some interest.

John
Mellanby One-name Study. Also family history of Walker, Braithwaite, Barrett, Weidner, Howard.

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 01:10 BST (UK) »
John,
Thank you so much for that information! I had thought it was maybe a pub.....and thanks for the help with Northgate! Now I know what gate means!
Thank you again!
Squirrel
Laybourn/Leybourne, Kearney, Wandlass, Stephenson, Chisholm, Dodson, Barkass, Forster, Wright, Martin, Hall<br /><br />Areas: Hartlepool, Southwick, Sunderland, Staindrop, and Stockton

Offline Jolly Roger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Gate does not always meanstreet.

Sometimes there is a Eastgate Westgate like in weardale which means exactly what it says the gate to the park.

So in early times Northgate could have been the gate or toll booth of the road into the place of Hartlepool.

JR
Lowson, Hodgson, Dent, Townson, Simpson, Brown, Bruce, and many more.

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Squirrel,

The Fleece public house was demolished about two years ago. It stood oposite a row of shops in Northgate, Headland, Old Hartlepool.

Flossy

Offline imsij

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
You can see the pre-demolition building survey, with photographs and maps, at:
http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-722-1/dissemination/pdf/teesarch1-20506_1.pdf

The New Cleveland Arms was indeed a pub.  Its name seems to have been changed to The New Fleece late in the nineteenth century. 

William Stones was the youngest son of one of my great-great-great-grandfathers.  His only son was born in 1862, about the same time as Martha's daughter.  I don't think you could or should draw any conclusions from that.   

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Historical Directories (on line)

Slater's Commercial Directory of Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire, 1855
Hartlepool - Taverns
New Cleveland Arms, Wm Stones, jun, Northgate Street,

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:36 GMT (UK) »
"... any stories/histories ..."

Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury, 7 Apr 1860
NAVAL RESERVE VOLUNTEERS AT HARTLEPOOL
These volunteers walked in procession at Hartlepool and West Hartlepool on Tuesday afternoon, headed by the Hartlepool Artillery Brass Band. After parading both towns they repaired to the New Cleveland Arms, where they took supper and enjoyed themselves until a late hour.

Perhaps Martha was there that evening? Wonder if the "late hour" was a lock in/after hours!!

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »
imsij, thank you for your information and the link. I am going to read through it tonight. No, I will not make any conclusions from the fact that William's only son and Martha's only daughter were born around the same time. I keep all options open on that matter. I will probably never know who the father was, but it's rather fun to come up with different scenarios.
hanes teulu; thank you for info. What an interesting little story!  Maybe Martha was there that night! I really do not know when she started that job, or when she left. Thanks again everyone!  :)