Author Topic: Small  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Small
« on: Friday 29 May 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Small family roots, have so far traced back to a John Small b1776 location unknown, he married  Jane----?---- (do not know date or location) John was buried in Canterbury,Kent on 6/7/1825, and Jane was buried in Canterbury on 17/1/1836. Word has passed down over the years that there are Scottish origins. Are there any Small's in Scotland with any information about Small's who moved south.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Small
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just checked the Scotlands people site and there are 15 John Smalls b. 1774-1778 in Scotland so it's a bit of a tall order.

Was Jane Scottish?

Also, do you know what  their children's names were in date order. The Scots were quite keen on using a traditional naming pattern (first son after father's father, first daughter after mother's mother, etc) which can be useful in identification.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 May 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, there is a possibility that if John is the Scottish link he may have travelled south before marrying. He fathered 8 children between 1803 & 1819 who were all born in Canterbury, Kent

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Small was my grandmother's maiden name and I have an avid interest in the family. I have a John Small born 7 Jan 1771, baptised 13 Jan 1771 in Kilrennie, Fife, Scotland. I don't have any children or any subsequent information, but his parents were Thomas Small and Elizabeth Brown married 18 Nov 1766 in Crail, Fife.

I also have a lot of Smalls from Coupar Angus born around the same time.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message, do not think that your John Small is any connection to mine, as I am confident that my John Small was definitely born in 1776.

Regards, Michael Small

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael  :)

It's highly unlikely that ostler's ancestor is the same as yours. As I said in reply #1:

I've just checked the Scotlands people site and there are 15 John Smalls b. 1774-1778 in Scotland so it's a bit of a tall order.

Small is not an unusual name (especially  John Small) and it is unwise to link them without proof.

I asked  back then if you could give his children's names in birth order to check on possibles. Do you have them?

The IGI (extracted) has a John Small, b, Barony, Lanarkshire on 4th Oct 1776. Parents - John Small and Ann Cameron. Whether this is yours or not, I'm not sure.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I also have a lot of Smalls from Coupar Angus born around the same time.

Hi Ostler.

I am potentially interested in your Smalls. My great grandfather was born as Charles Small in 1882 in Forfar, Angus (he later changed his surname to McKenzie - his stepfather's name).

His father was also called Charles Small according to the birth certificate. He was living at Sandyford, Parish of Kirriemuir at the time of his illegitimate son's birth in 1882. By the following year there was an RCE amendment to my great grandfather's birth certificate. This was dated 1883. It states that Charles Small was now resident at Glamis Road, Forfar.

I believe he may be the Charles Small that is 23 years old in the 1881 census. He was living with 2 other men at Little Kilmundy Bothy, Glamis, Forfar, Scotland. His place of birth is stated as Rescobie.

There was only 1 Charles Small who is between 12-14 in Angus in the 1871 census -

John Small - Head - married - 57 - Gardiner - Coupar Angus, Perthshire
Margaret Small - Wife - married - (can't make out age) - Can't make out.... Abernethy?
Charles Small - Son - 14 - at school - Perthshire, Coupar Angus

Not sure if this is the same person as 1881 Charles.

So, I'm interested if any of this matches with any names in your tree?

Thanks,

Jill.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Liviani, None of these Small's connect to any of mine. My Small's are all in Canterbury and Thanet in Kent. My earliest ancestor so far is John Small 1776 - 1825 who was a publican in Canterbury. I do not know where he was born, but have been told that there are Scottish origins. So if you come across anything of interest to me I would be pleased to hear. thanks, Michael Small.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »

Small was my grandmother's maiden name and I have an avid interest in the family. I have a John Small born 7 Jan 1771, baptised 13 Jan 1771 in Kilrennie, Fife, Scotland. I don't have any children or any subsequent information, but his parents were Thomas Small and Elizabeth Brown married 18 Nov 1766 in Crail, Fife.

This is probably not relevant to anyone here, but I'll tell the story anyway as you're discussing Smalls.

You mention Kilrenny in Fife. Most people in that parish have always lived in the fishing village of Cellardyke, where I was brought up myself. In the 19th century the village was ravaged by regular outbreaks of cholera and other infectious diseases. Here is a story from a local news-sheet:

THE PITTENWEEM REGISTER, No.242, Saturday, September 29th., 1849

Remarkable Fact:-  William Small, fisherman, who died of Cholera last week at Cellardyke, was at sea when the disease came upon him, and said to his companions - 'If there is such a thing as swallowing Cholera, I am afraid I have caught it'. When asked, what made him say so? he said, 'I felt as if something having the feeling of a soft cold potato had forced its way down my throat'. In less than five minutes after he made this curious remark he complained of pain in the stomach, - looseness of the bowels and cramp immediately ensued, and in half an hour after the first attack his countenance altered, and his features assumed the appearance of a dying man.

There are still Smalls in the area.

Harry