Author Topic: The elusive Gibbins branch of the family.  (Read 41237 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive Gibbins branch of the family.
« Reply #45 on: Friday 30 January 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi dgibbins02 I think I can help you with that a bit.

It means that Robert is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth, as above: this Thomas has the PCC will dated 1796, Thomas Gibbins of Halloughton Grazier ('my sons Henry Gibbins John Gibbins Robert Gibbins and William Gibbins the sum of sixty pounds apiece' etc....

Along with the money from Elizabeths grandfather William Swannell 1729-1807

To my grandchildren Mary Swannell Ann Swannell Elizabeth Swannell and Martha Swannell the daughters of my late son Edward Swannell  deceased a legacy of £200 between them when they attain the age of 21 years

It seems they did alright. This lead to further complications in further years as Williams son Richard ( Roberts brother ) suicided after NOT receiving an expected amount or lesser amount

The only reason; witness could imagine for his committing this act was that his father had willed him less money than to the other members of the family. Witness had received a copy of the will some months ago, and witness's wife told him that she had informed the deceased that he had been left £200 less than his brothers' legacies. Deceased did not see the will, nor did he ever speak to witness on the subject, but he mentioned it to his brother, and referred to the circumstance that he had received no answer to his letters. (some info cut here)— Previous to the deceased being informed of the contents of the will he did not show the smallest mental derangement, nor did he after wards.

From Trove ( great Australian content FREE newspaper site)

I now have so much to chase up. Once again thankyou Mercian and others who contributed

D
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Mercian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
dgibbins02,

Glad to be of use! I am sure your 'Pancoust' will be right if you have found the name in the previous generations. I looked at the Henry Gibbins 1839 will in Ancestry again and it does say 'Pancras', but this is just a transcript into the Canterbury Prerogative Court Registers, not even a filed copy which might be written by a solicitor (let alone a holograph draft by anyone who actually knew W Pancoust Gibbins in person) so by scribal ignorance or chinese whispers it would be perfectly natural for 'Pancoust' to be transformed into 'Pancras'.

As the Gibbins ancestry in Hallaton goes back to before the Civil War I'm sure you can add Leicestershire to your C.V. - without a blush! The Henry Gibbins the elder who made his will in 1679 (Leics Record Office, Wigston) bought various lands in Hallaton in order to make them into parcels to bequeath to his heirs. But they are there well before that - Peter Gibbins of Glooston (will 1569): Edward Gibbins of Hallaton and his wife (a widow) Elizabeth Barlow, mard. 1606 - which follows on an administration bond for Thomas Gibbins of Hallaton in 1605, maybe Edward's father? Edward and Elizabeth are mentioned in a Chancery plea over land and house in Hallaton by Bryan Satterthwaite, C2 JasI/S35/64. Edward's will is 1621 and mentions wife Elizabeth and children (unnamed), and 40s owed to Mr Thomas Gibbins. Then there are wills of William (1656/1660), Edward (1662) and Thomas Gibbins (1665/1667). There's also a connection with the Goodman family of Hallaton and Medbourne by a marriage in 1630 between Thomas Gibbins of Hallaton and Frances Goodman (licence), and the relationship is mentioned in the will (1657/1661) of Thomas Goodman referring to his cousin William Gibbins son of Frances. By the 1690s there are (at least) two clear branches of Gibbinses, one of which is represented by William Gibbins the Blacksmith (will 1690/91), and the other by Henry Gibbins the elder (will 1679) and his descendants, which is your and my line. It's going to take some luck and more research to make better sense of these earlier 17th century Gibbinses but obviously they are the predecessors of ours - so I think you can consider yourself well-rooted in Hallaton!

If I can be any more help please ask.

Mercian

Offline Robert Gibbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 01 February 15 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi My name is Robert Gibbins and I live in Epping; a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.  I have been following your conversations on the 'Elusive Gibbins'. 

My forbears Henry (B 3.11.1801) and Ann (nee Phillips B 1814 Weldon Northhampton, England)) came to Victoria, Australia on the Duke of Richmond sailing from London October 20th 1852.  Before then they had lived in the Tugby, Keythorpe area of Leicestershire, England.  Henry had been working at Keythorpe Park as a farm labourer. Before sailing for Australia the 1851 Census records that they were living at the Fox and Hound just out of Tugby.  The place is still there.

Henry's parents were Wlliam (b. 31.3.1771) and Elizabeth (nee Brewster b. 1772 and died in 1843 aged 71. She was buried in Tugby)  who resided in the County of Medbourne, Leicestershire, England.  I am taking all this information from a Family History Book by Melva Gibbins: 'They Came From Leicestershire' 1988.

William was the son of Thomas Gibbins and Jane Freestone (daughter of a John Freestone) who were married at Tugby on 12 November 1766. That seems to be as far as my book go back.  How does any of this fit with what you have uncovered?

The family story handed down states that Henry had a falling out with his brothers/family, packed his bags and left for Australia.  I can not confirm that the family had a falling out however, Henry and his family did part Britain and landed in Belfast (now Port Fairy) Victoria in March 1853.  From the above book: 

"Off shore from Belfast Henry and Ann, William, Francis, Mary, Edward and Jane and their luggage were sent ashore in small boats.  They carried the younger children and their possessions through the surf to the mainland and set up a small camp on the cliff.  Henry kept watch overnight while the others gained what sleep they could. All were afraid of what the new land held in store for them and what manner of wild animal might be in the vicinity.

Henry and William were engaged by Jacob Bull to work 2 pounds 2 shillings per week without rations.  Jacob Bull was a Gunsmith but rarely followed ths profession.  He operated a carrying business, but no information is available as to the type of work henry and Willaim were employed for during their 12 months period with Jacob Bull.

The following year Henry worked as a Limeburner.

On January 8th 1855, just two years after arriving in Australia Henry died at Belfast....

Ann and family live in Balfast until 1863 in Cross Street , now Union Street. They owned a weatherboard house of four rooms, with a wood stove, a seperate wash house and stables standing on 1/2 acre of ground. This property was valued at 45 pounds...."

In the 1870s the Victorian Colonial Government opened up land previously rented by large land holders.  The Henry's children all applied for grants of land for farming.

William Gibbins applied and obtained land at Byaduk in south west Victoria. There is a Web Page named 'Byaduk Pioneers: Parish & Township on Scott's Creek, south of Hamilton in South-Western Victoria.  There is a photograph of the pioneers with William Gibbins standing in the back row. 

Francis Gibbins and his brother applied for and obtained land grants at Kalkee, just north of Horsham Victoria. Francis remained on his land until he sold it to his brother Edward 1882.  Francis then moved to Jung where he ran the local Railway Hotel.

Edward remained on the farm until his son Robert Henry took over.  He was my Grandfather.  He married a Mary Ann Button and had six children.  Just as an aside, Mary Ann was considered a shot and wonderful horse woman.  Ideal for the pioneering life style they now found themselves in.  The six children were Mary Elizabeth Ann b 1878: Mabel Frances b. 1879, Robert Henry b. 1881, Maud b. 26 Aug 1886, Ada b. 1888 and Alice b. 1890.

Just to confirm a source of information for you: yes the TROVE or The Australian National Libraries digital newspaper collection is both free and great.  In the Horsham papers the Gibbins Family receive quite a few entries.

Hope this is of some interest. If you have any further information I'd love to hear from you

Robert Gibbins

Offline Mercian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 01 February 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

Your branch is really much more elusive than the one we have been talking about.

In the first place (as I expect you realize) there are two Henry Gibbinses both born about 1800-02 both with wives named Ann.

One of them, Henry Gibbins (bap. 21.xii.1800), a Grazier of sheep, married his own cousin Ann Jane Johnson (bap. 27.vi.1802) on 12.ix.1822 at Horninghold: her mother Mary Gibbins married (2nd) Thomas Johnson (26.xi.1798) - and Mary's brother Thomas (30.xii.1756-24.iii.1827) was the father of the Henry Gibbins whom Ann Jane married. These, as you rightly say, are NOT your Henry and Ann, and in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (both) they are living in Church Street, Hallaton.

Your Henry and Ann are the ones that are in Tugby in both 1841 and 1851. In 1841 they are living next door to Henry's brother Robert Gibbins and his family as follows:

'No. 2'
Henry Gibbins  35  Ag lab    y
Ann Gibbins  35     y
Elizabeth Gibbins  8      y
William Gibbins  4     y
Francis Gibbins  1     y
/
Robert Gibbins  30  Ag lab    y
Sarah Gibbins  25      y
Mary Gibbins  4     y
Sarah Gibbins   2     y

and the 1851 census has Henry and Ann with children William (14), Francis (10), Mary (8 ), Edward (7), Jane (4) and Ann (1), also at Tugby. BUT I think it might be Henry and Robert's parents, William Gibbins and Elizabeth Brewster, who are in Hallaton in the 1841 census:

1841: Hallaton, Gibbins's Lodge
William Gibbins  70  Ag lab     y
Elizabeth Gibbins  65       n
// Mary Cursley  14       n

These two married at Medbourne in 1799. As their eldest son Thomas died an infant (10.xi.1800-28.xii.1800), Henry (3.xi.1801) was presumably the eldest son, and heir.

The top of the tree you have described stands with Thomas Gibbins and Jane Freestone, marrying at Tugby in 1766. I have been through many of the Gibbins wills for Medbourne and Hallaton, and the only Thomas Gibbins I can see among them that might fit into this time-frame is Thomas baptized Medbourne 19.iv.1744, who would therefore be about right to marry Jane, at Tugby, in 12.xi.1766. Perhaps Tugby was her parish, and perhaps the houses occupied by Robert and Henry in 1851 and 1841 were ultimately Freestone rather than Gibbins hereditaments.

IF he is the right one (and I'm not saying he is!!!!) then he would be the son of Thomas Gibbins bap. Medbourne 19.vi.1713, and his wife Jane Bond of Glooston (bap. 9.vii.1721).

To take Jane Bond (perhaps the mother of your Thomas) first, she is the elder of two daughters of the second marriage of John Bond of Glooston (bap. 5.iv.1675, d.1746), and John is the son of Edward Bond (b.c.1640, died Glooston 15.vi.1706 - tombstone) and his wife Ann, who died in 1719. There are wills for John and his mother Ann. John married first Abigail, who died 5.viii.1707, having two children Ann (1707) and Elizabeth. John's daughter Ann married William Tebbatt of Glooston and had about 10 children by him - see Tebbatt gravestones at Glooston. After Abigail died, John Bond married Marcy Sharman (born 4.i.1697, bap. 8.i.1697 at Weston-by-Welland, one of at least four children born 1692-1697 to John Sharman (c. 1670, died Cranoe 1733). Sarah Sharman must have died at or soon after the birth of Marcy, because John Sharman then married Catherine, and had 13 more children by her (births 1698-1720) before drying up. Marcy married John Bond at Glooston on 21.iv.1720, and the two daughters Jane and Mary came in 1721 and 1725 (21.xi) respectively. Mary married James Tebbatt at Glooston on 17.xii.1744, and James was the brother of the William Tebbatt who had married her half-sister Ann Bond back in 1725. But it was Jane Bond who on 14.iii.1736 at Glooston married Thomas Gibbins, who was born at Medbourne 19.vi.1713 and died there 1757. And it's because he is of Medbourne, and not of Hallaton, that I think its quite likely that he IS the father of your Thomas who, as you say, married Jane Freestone at Tugby in 1766, but afterwards lived at Medbourne.

Thomas Gibbins 1713 of Medbourne is the son of Henry Gibbins of Medbourne, who left a Leicestershire will dated 1735. He was married to an Elizabeth, and his children were Sarah (5 or 8.vi.1707), William (6.ix.1708-d.1736 & a will), Ann (17.ii.1711, married John Wade junr 15.x.1734, Medbourne); Henry (24 or 29.iii.1709, d. 1747 (will)), married Mary; Elizabeth (29.i.1714); Thomas (19.vi.1713, Medbourne) and apparently lastly John, who married Amy Barker of Great Illsborough at Stoke Albany in 1742.

And if that is right, it means that the siblings of Thomas who married Jane Freestone were, John Gibbins (26.vii.1738); Elizabeth (11.vi,.1740); Henry (10.vi.1742, d.1779 (will)), who married Elizabeth Lummis of Broughton, Northants, at Cransley 17.iii.1769; William (4.ix.1749); Jane (24.xii.1752); and John (25.vi.1755). Among these, Henry Gibbins and Elizabeth Lummis are my 5xgreat-grandparents.

Henry who died in 1735 was the eldest named son of Henry Gibbins who died in 1692 (will), and he was the son of Henry Gibbins (d. Hallaton 1679 (will)) who was married to Alis. Before that the evidence is a bit more patchy, but the Hallaton ancestry goes back to the 16th century at least. (see my previous post). These wills are in the Leicester Register Office in Wigston.

But - you can't just take my word for it!

best wishes!

Mercian

Offline Mercian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 02 February 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
To continue on the question of Thomas Gibbins of Medbourn, baptized 1744, the son of Thomas Gibbins (1713-1757) and Jane Bond (married Glooston 14.iii.1736).

The following wills are relevant:

A. Henry Gibbins  of Medbourn, d. 1735, father of the following three brothers: To eldest son William Gibbins various lands at Hallaton including the house at East Gate in tenure of Edward Ward, etc. To sons Thomas and Henry various lands at Hallaton including the parcels called Goodmans land (etc).
B. William Gibbins of Hallaton, d. 1736 (This is William bapt. 6.ix.1708, elder brother of Thomas 1713). William died young: he gives to his brother John his mother's Jointure lands: to his brother Henry Gibbins (next) the house at Medbourn which was given to him by his grandfather Kellam or Kenelm Smith: and to Thomas Gibbins (i.e. Thomas 1713) 'the house where Edward Ward liveth which was given me by my father'. After various smaller bequests, everything else to brothers Thomas and Henry, his Executors, who were sworn on 2nd Sept 1736. Incidentally William leaves money for a mourning ring to Jane Bond 'of Glooson', who married his brother Thomas (1713) later in the same year (14.iii.1736/7 - right at the end of the Old Style year).
C. Henry Gibbins of Medbourn, d. 1747 (This is Henry bapt 24 (or 29).iii.1709, the brother between William and Thomas. Henry leaves his household goods and furniture and his Dapper Mare to his widow Mary, but all his lands and houses in Medbourne and Hallaton to his brother Thomas (i.e. Thomas 1713).
D. Thomas Gibbins of Medbourn, d. 1757 (This is Thomas 1713, brother of the two above, himself). He gives to his son Thomas (1744) in the will, granting him various pieces and parcels called Goodman's Land at Hallaton, and requiring him to pay various sums out of them to other beneficiaries, as well as making a cash bequest.
E. Henry Gibbins of Medbourn, bapt. 10.vi.1742, son of Thomas 1713, and elder brother of Thomas 1744. He died on 27.x.1779 aged 37. Bequeaths cottages closes lands and tenements in Hallaton to his widow and daughters.

These form a coherent group, and obviously the only one of these wills which might clear up the question of whether Thomas 1744 could be the same Thomas who married Jane Freestone at Tugby in 1766 (see previous post) is the last one, all the others preceding the date of the marriage in question.

This will (E) of Henry Gibbins of Medburn, Farmer 1779, mentions his wife Elizabeth, and his daughters Lydia and Elizabeth (who I note married John Waddington and Benjamin Letts respectively) but does not make any reference to his brother Thomas. Elizabeth (Lummis) his wife (who died 5.viii.1797 aged 49) died intestate, and her administration was carried out by John Waddington (for Lydia) and Elizabeth Gibbins, supported by Robert Bateman and John Smith. This does not help with Thomas.

Worth placing on record that this Henry Gibbins and Elizabeth (Lummis) had tombstones side by side in Medbourne churchyard. Unfortunately the Henry Gibbins stone was deliberately snapped off its base by a person testing the safety of the stones with a pressure machine in the year 2009, and when last seen was lying broken on the ground. Such official contempt for the historicity of the monuments and their environment can only be deplored. The inscriptions are (or were):

'In Memory of/Henry Gibbins/who departed this life/October the 17th 1779/aged 37 years.

Farewell dear wife and my dear children too
God would not longer let me live with you
Therefore he parts us for a little time
And suddenly has cropt me in my prime.'

And Elizabeth's stone:

'In Memory of/Elizabeth wife of/Henry Gibbins/who died August 5th 1797/aged 49 years.

My dear Redeemer is above
Him will I go to see
And all my friends in Christ below
Shall soon come after me.'

There is nothing in all this to show if Thomas 1744 was, or was not, the Thomas Gibbins of Medbourne who married Jane Freestone in 1766 at Tugby.

Offline Hilary F

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 05 March 15 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm afraid I've only skipped through all the replies - so many names and dates!  However, I am wondering if your Sarah Gibbins is Sarah M Gibbins, born abt 1883, whose father was Thomas Gibbins born 1855.  He owned a water mill in Thurmaston, where he milled flour, and he also had a bakery there too.  His wife, Sarah's mother, was Ellen, nee Boot.
Thomas and Ellen had four other children - Thomas B, Constance Nelly, Frances Mary and George A.
If this is your Sarah Gibbins, then we are connected by marriage, as Constance Nelly Gibbins married my gt gt uncle George William Hunt.
On the subject of Thurmaston, I know a lovely lady who is with the Thurmaston Heritage Group and I suspect that what she doesn't know about Thurmaston and its many previous inhabitants isn't worth knowing!  I don't want to put her email address on here, but if you'd like to message me then I can email her and make sure it is OK to pass her details onto you. 

Offline Sarah williamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 09 October 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
You seem to know so much about the Gibbins. I am specifically looking for a birth record and any info on kezia gibbins born Hallaton 1827 apparently to Richard Gibbins. Who was her mother ? And who was Richards mother and father ? Any ideas please x

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 09 October 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Odd. A census for 1841 has a Kezia living with a Sarah Gibbins aged 60

A census for 1851 has a Kezia living with a Richard and Elizabeth both born 1798ish.

Yet a FreeReg baptism record has a Kezia born to Richard and Mary. There is an 1826 marriage between a Richard and Mary Tunnicliff in 1826 in Hallaton. So a strong assumption can be made that Richard and Mary Tunnicliff are Kezias parents

Mary must have died as there is a marriage in 1834 for Richard and Elizabeth Sanderson

Hope this gives you a start  :)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Sarah williamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 09 October 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Would Sarah Gibbins be her grandmother and mother to Richard ? I just can't work it out. Who even was Richards father ?