Author Topic: CROSKEY born in England or USA?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Linda Bourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CROSKEY born in England or USA?
« on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:40 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor was Joseph Rodney CROSKEY. Born around 1809 in either England or US, according to censuses. Son of Richard Knight Croskey/Mary Frances Burtkelsall. Richard born ?England (siblings b.Deptford, London 1760-1771), but family known to have visited US, so Richard could have been born there. JRC marr. in Burlington NJ 1833. He was an American Consul based in Cowes/Southampton, England, also New York. Found him on various passenger lists, found death in London 1886, found on 1851 census Southampton, also 1870 US census in New York.  Richard's brother was George Duncan Croskey, known to have settled in Philadelphia and his family well documented. But I would very much like to track down Joseph's birth.  Anyone have any suggestions from the US side please?
From Linda in Bantry, Co.Cork

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: CROSKEY born in England or USA?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda
I found a reference to "Richard Knight CROSKEY" in the
"Index for the Encyclopedia of PA Biography, Book 2, Index, Volumes XXI-XXXII, Surnames C-D, Page 52.

The explanation of from where the data came is below.

Hoping this may help.
Valerie

Index to The Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania Biography, Two Volumes
Frederick A. Godcharles, Index to Volumes I-XX
Walter D. Stock, Index to Volumes XXI-XXXII
The Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania Biography is a 32-volume collective biography that was published in irregular intervals from 1914 to 1967 by the Lewis Publishing Company. Virtually all of the biographies identify the person's date of birth, parents, spouse and children, and some provide extensive genealogical notes. Both published cumulative name indexes are published here in one. In both cases the indexes furnish the name, volume, and page number of every subject of a biography in the Encyclopedia. In this way, the Index constitutes a crucial new finding aid for persons with Pennsylvania ancestry. It will be of great use to the many institutions that already own the Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania Biography. Similarly, researchers who buy the Index but have no access to the Encyclopedia can write to the

Free Library of Philadelphia,
1901 Vine Street,
Attn: Social Science and History Department,
Philadelphia, PA 19103

for photocopies of short biographical entries whose subjects they uncover in a check of the Index.
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linda Bourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CROSKEY born in England or USA?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Valerie for taking the time to write. I have a new contact in Philadelphia so  will certainly explore this avenue.
Best wishes, Linda