Author Topic: Rodgers, Anthony  (Read 6975 times)

Offline LizMax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rodgers, Anthony
« on: Sunday 07 June 09 06:20 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Anthony Rodgers B. 1838 Saint Johnston, County Donegal
At age 18 he voyaged to Australia aboard the 'Amazon' which departed Plymouth on 2nd January 1856 arriving Port Adelaide, South Australia 8th April 1856.
On the Passenger List he appears as Anthony Rodgers, Aged 18, Labourer and Residence shown as Donegal.  He subsequently travelled on to New Zealand, where he remained until his death in 1908.

I would like some advice on how I might locate actual birth date (given it's 1838 would it only be via Church records?)   I am keen to trace back the Irish lineage.

Thank you   Liz

Rodgers, Anthony -  Born Saint Johnson or Tullyannan, County Donegal, Ireland
Born circa1838
Sailed from Plymouth to Adelaide 1856 aboard 'Amazon'
Resided South Australia, Victoria and New Zealand
Rodgers, John  Father (Farmer) 
Porter, Mary (Mother)   
Evans, Daniel - Monmouthshire, Wales   born circa 1817
Davies, Margaret (wife)
Evans, John (Father) Farmer
Bynon, Elizabeth (Mother
Sailed UK - Victoria Australia 1856 aboard Euphrates

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rodgers, Anthony
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 09 07:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Irish registration of births started in 1864 so you will need to search for church records (if they exist) but it will be difficult to know where to start without knowing both the family's religion and where they lived (parish of not actual townland). Have you looked for marriage and death certificates in Australia? they often list details like parents, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LizMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 09 02:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I am on the trail via historical records from BDM - there is a Death Certificate listed - with a little luck it may give me some additional info in order to move forward with the research.
Born circa1838
Porter, Mary (Mother)   
Davies, Margaret (wife)
Bynon, Elizabeth (Mother

Offline LizMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 04:34 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful for some advice - I have not been able to establish the exact birth date for Anthony Rodgers other than the year of 1838.  However through some records I've established Birth Places St Johnston,County Donegal then on Death Certificate, it is shown as Tullyannon, County Donegal.        His parents were John Rodgers and Mary Rodgers, formerly Porter, and fathers 'profession' is listed as Farmer.      On his death certificate a religion of Wesleyan.     Is there way I could perhaps narrow down the search in some way as to availablity of church records in Ireland?    Thank you Liz 
Born circa1838
Porter, Mary (Mother)   
Davies, Margaret (wife)
Bynon, Elizabeth (Mother

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 08:14 BST (UK) »
I found this

December 16 1859
December 8, in the Presbyterian Church, Newtowncunningham, by the Rev. William Scott,
GEORGE, only son of MR RODGERS,  Tullyannon, to SARAH, eldest daughter of MR ROBERT McGIRR, Ballyhaskey, near Newtowncunningham

June 19 1863, by the Rev. William Scott, in the Newtowncunningham Presbyterian Church, MR FRANCIS YOUNG,  Knockglass, Malin, to MISS ELIZA H. ROGERS, only daughter of the late MR ROGERS, of Tullyannon, Newtowncunningham

Link is
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/allsaintsmn.htm

Also from goggle searching appears St. Johnston and Newtowncunningham are neighbouring areas

In Griffiths Valuation for TULLYANNAN, ALL SAINTS, DONEGAL there is a John Rogers probably was meant to be Rodgers. Griffiths was taken around 1857 for Donegal.

Tullyannan Griffiths Valuation

Note that Griffiths valuation was not a census. But recorded the head of house for those that held/rented land/property. So there are two Rogers/Rodgers households.
First one with head of household as John Rogers. And second family has head of house as Anne Rogers. Possibly a spinster or a widow as she is the head of house.

If does mention in the marriage notes above that George was the only son of Mr.Rodgers. So would be possible Anne is a mother of the George getting married and she was a widow. Leaving it possible then that John Rogers/Rodgers in Griffiths was Anthony's father.

If you click on original page on that link you can see what land he rented/held etc. you can also see the map and reference from the original sheet can find exactly on map where this John Rogers (Rodgers) lived. John Rogers is in plot two and on the map you can see the outline of the house and bulidings. If you need any help viewing the map let me know.

In the 1911 Census of Ireland there is a George Rodgers living on his own in Tullyannan probably the husband of Sarah McGirr also interesting to note there is a Porter family living there in 1911
1911 Tullyannan Census
There is some deaths for Rodgers Tullyannan on this link
http://mcn.ie/crossroads/genealogy/Deaths_date.html

And also an interesting link for flax growers in 1796 has some Rodgers of interest
http://www.ulsterancestry.com/ua-free_FG_Donegal.html

There is a Sarah Rodgers born 12-May-1876 to George Rodgers and Sarah McGirr in Tullyannon found that on familysearch.org website.
I also found Margaret 1-Nov-1871, Catherine Ellen 20-Jan-1874, Elizabeth 2-Jan-1865 and John 16-Aug-1878.

For the couple Francis Young and Elizabeth Rodgers i could not find any children.
But i did find a George Rodgers born 7-Apr-1879 in Tullyannan to a William Young and Elizabeth Rodgers. They also had William 24-Sep-1870 and Mary 16-Jan-1881.

According to 1911 Census George was born around 1836. A good chance he was a first or second cousin of your Anthony.

Hope this helps
Ger

Offline LizMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 09 05:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Gerard

Thank you so much for your links and suggestions.... I continue on with the search :-)   

Liz
Born circa1838
Porter, Mary (Mother)   
Davies, Margaret (wife)
Bynon, Elizabeth (Mother

Offline MichelleWhitely

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
Did this Anthony have siblings?

Possibly Mary?

Offline LizMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 09 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

I haven't been able to establish that exactly as yet - it's very likely - his mother was Mary and he had a daughter Mary (my grandmother)

I haven't been able to establish his birth date yet as various records haven't shown it - however I've just tracked down where he was married and with luck my have some additional information on the marriage records.  That may lead me to finding more information about the rest of the family.

His father was John Rodgers (Farmer) and mother Mary Rodgers (nee Porter)... depending on which document you read it shows his birthplace as St Johnston or Tullyannan

Liz
Born circa1838
Porter, Mary (Mother)   
Davies, Margaret (wife)
Bynon, Elizabeth (Mother

Offline MichelleWhitely

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Good Morning!

I am looking to find more information on Mary Rodgers (1861).  She married Thomas Dillon of Kilmacrenan and had 14 children.

I seems that Rodgers and Rogers were intermingled names???