Author Topic: Deacon of the Taylors Dumfries 1600's  (Read 2461 times)

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
Deacon of the Taylors Dumfries 1600's
« on: Sunday 07 June 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Are there any history experts out their who could explain to me what this position would entail?

From what I've found it mean that my ancestor was the head of the Taylors guild, but I've no idea how he would have got that title, or what would be expected of him, his position in society... 

Or are there any books out there on this, the internet for once, is clueless.

Thanks
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deacon of the Taylors Dumfries 1600's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

Your ancestor would have been elected to the position of Deacon by his fellow members of the Tailors' Guild (or Trade Incorporation as it was normally called in Scotland). He might have got the honour through seniority, special merit, the right connections or because he was wealthier than most. He would have had to preside at meetings, represent his fellow members in dealings with other trades and with the town council. He could also have been involved in disciplinary matters within the guild and complaints about poor workmanship. If somebody who was not a member tried to set up as a tailor in Dumfies he would have done something about this so as to uphold the rights of his members to be the only tailors allowed to trade there.

Hope this helps

Jessie

Offline Nazreel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 10 15:26 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting.  I have just traced an ancestor of mine, a George Rae, who married in 1755 in Dumfriesshire, and he is given as "Deacon of the Taylors" in the Banns for his marriage.

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
The Incorporations could also set pricing for work, which if they tried to undercut, the taylor would be fined. They also had say on who could join the Incorporation. My family were refused admission to the Incorporation of Taylors in Selkirk in 1782. Still looking into that one.

Looking at the early 19th Century records foul play was never far away. Selkirk had accusations of Taylors joining and having there dues paid in a vote rigging scandal that took up many a meeting.

Offline chuckieb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 01:57 BST (UK) »
This John Rae is also my ancestor.