Author Topic: Please can someone help with a date?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Please can someone help with a date?
« on: Friday 19 June 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi.

This could be a newspaper picture/photograph of the Egremont Football Team ?  Are there enough players or have I got half a photograph ?
Would the type of boots and shin-guards they are wearing be appropriate to 1898 - 1900 ish ?

Any help appreciated.
Thank You.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Please can someone help with a date?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry. Just a novice at this. Here is the photograph.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, no clue about the uniforms I'm afraid, but judging by what I can see of the ladies' clothing I'd guess a bit later than your estimate...just before the war would be about right for what's visible, 1912-1914 or so...

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
It's a bit odd.  Some of the team seem to have forgotten their shorts and football boots ... they seem to be photographed in long johns and clogs!

I think the chap at the back with the cap could have been the goalie and the chap at the front has forgotten his football shirt (but not his shorts!) ... so 10 players in view.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi China & Geoff.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I thought this one was a bit bizarre.  A long lost cousin sent me this from America & said:- mentioned in the post of the West Cumberland Times June 25 1898 - Egremont Football Club.  I cannot find any reference to that article anywhere but the suits the gentleman are wearing didn't seem in keeping with 1898 which puzzles me.
Egremont use to have a great reputation for rugby but they didn't quite look like rugby players.

Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 June 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Egremont Rangers and Egremont Rugby Union club both have websites Sandra. 

I've tried linking the addresses to this post, but I don't think my head's working tonight, I can usually do it.

Anyway the rugby union club has been going 120 years, it might be worth sending them a scan of the photo, somebody could probably give you their expert opinion.  It would give the club members something to argue about in the club house after a game :)

Maybe the rugby players weren't as butch as they are nowadays, what with rations etc if it was war time.  I wondered if the man in the cap was the referee, and the man in the dark shirt was the goalie.  Maybe they had been getting changed when they asked to take a photo, and some of the team had gone home already?  Hence some of them with their shorts on, the others in long johns.

Egremont are well-respected rugby teams around here (league and union)

Rosemary

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 June 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
There is a photo on the Whitehaven News website of the 1921-22 rugby team.  The shirts seem to match your photo

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/home/1.188957

EDIT: However those players all seem to be wearing shorts.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 June 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

That really does look like the same shirts. Its a pity the quality of my one is poor, just noticed some seem to have badges on as well as the star motif but I wouldn't imagine they could be enhanced to show any information.  Could be a sign that they have won some competition previously.  Thought of sending it to the Whitehaven News but it probably wouldn't be a good enough copy to print very well.
Long johns - thats strange, it makes me even more curious.

Thanks again, this is interesting.

Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 09 23:49 BST (UK) »
Looks like you've cracked it Geoff ;D