Author Topic: Curlett family, Kilbirnie ayrshire?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline daza_1973

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curlett family, Kilbirnie ayrshire?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 June 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonn
  Thanks again for this extra info, I'm very tempted to have another go on the scotpeople site as the fact you can view the actual certificate is a great help and saves waiting a week to get a certificate that can often be the wrong one. 

Regards,
Darren

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 June 09 10:00 BST (UK) »

Hello Darren,

On Scotlandspeople, you can waste money on searching, for example what you put in the search engine has to be exactly the same as whats on their certificate otherwise you will not get a hit.

With the name Curlet, most of them are in Ayr.

Their are seven marriages from 1855. till 2006.
So if you just put the surname Curlet, no first name and Ayr, then you will get 7 hits. for your one credit. they are most likely all related, this is only the index, but they will be there in your previous searches if in the future you wish to view them.

The same goes with births, there are 48 Curlet, births the whole of Scotland, 1855. till 2006, this would cost two credits.

42 of the above births are again in Ayrshire.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline Seaside Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 16 05:32 BST (UK) »
I've only just found this link. My ancestor was Peter Ball born around 1799 Southport Lancashire. He married Alice Jackson in 1829 and one of their children was Elizabeth Ball. Elizabeth married Robert Barton as stated on this link. The exciting part of this is that Peter Ball was the Bellman or town crier for southport between about 1830 to 1858 (his death) and an historical novel was written about him called "Peter the Bellman" by Alan Joyce. The book is out of print now but can occasionally be found on the internet. I've tried researching Peter's parents but I'm having trouble getting any information at present. If anyone knows anything about him please could you reply to this message. Thanks

Offline Searching241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
there is a memorial to a man called curlet in Kilbirnie cemetery, its a war grave memorial,  and he appears to have died with honours.  I cant remember the first name but it might be william. He also mentioned on kilbirnie war memorial

http://www.lostancestors.eu/memwar/K/Kilbirnie.htm
McTaggart, Brisco, Warnock, Aikman, Glass, Hay, Loughran