Author Topic: Illegitamate children  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Julie5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Illegitamate children
« on: Friday 25 February 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone
I dont know if i am on the right board.
Could anyone help me
I got a birth certificate yesterday and there is no father,I wonder if there is anyway i can find out details to see if the mother was in a mother and baby home(something I read about ?)
All the certificate says is the baby was born 1904 climping
where the any of these mother and baby units in this area.
maybe my imagination running away with me lol
Any help Please
Julie ???
Cobby,Littlehampton/Timms,Hove/Earwicker,Boxgrove/Simmonds,Cuckfield/Kenward,Balcombe
All Sussex

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitamate children
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 05 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello what did the birth certificate state in its entirety?

It is possible the mother was sent away to stay with a distant relative aswell. Was there anyone listed on the certificate as being present at the birth?

Regards Jen  :D

Offline Julie5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 05 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jen

Maybe I am Jumping the gun a bit :-[(to much reading lol
The certificate just has the date of birth/ child's name and climping,mothers name and the usual .
I know the mothers parents were living in Wick at the time and she herself was a domestic servant.
I just thought she would be living with her parents when she had the baby as we knew the father was never mentioned(no one else was mentioned on the certificate

Regards
Julie
Cobby,Littlehampton/Timms,Hove/Earwicker,Boxgrove/Simmonds,Cuckfield/Kenward,Balcombe
All Sussex

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, going by what you say, she may have been just staying somewhere to give birth. It would be unlikely that she would have stayed at home with her parents due to how society did not approve of illegitamacy

Wick (W.Sussex) & Climping (W.Sussex) are only 2 miles apart so she stayed in the area & wasn't sent to Great Aunt Bessie who lived 50 miles away!  :P It is probable that she met the father of the child whilst working in her capacity as a domestic servant. The likelyhood of finding out about the father is zero especially so if no names were recorded.  :(

Regards & good luck in your search
Jen  ;)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 05 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
I've had a look through the 1901 census images for Climping, there is nothing that looks like an institution. I expect she was staying with a relative if her parents were local people who would have had family close by. I'm quite happy to do a 1901 lookup for likely family in Climping. Regards Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 05 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

My mum was "sent away" when I was born but all my records only mention the hospital I was born in.  I contacted the "mother and baby home" I had my first month in and they held no records relating to me or my mum. 

But I can tell you, there is a lovely picture me as the baby Jesus in the nativity which I frankly find more than ironic.  No offence to anyone I didn't have a choice  ;D

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Julie5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 February 05 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Everyone
Julie ;)
All Sussex

Offline william james

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 05 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
Just a bit of info for you , i don't know if you know this or not but most servant girls who got pregnant in those days always lost there jobs.
My g grand mother was one .
Wj
Rice, Sadler, Cocksedge, Mulley,from Suffolk. Minter, Smith, Holding, Warcus, from London.Courtney, Smith, from Dorset. Pearl, from Suffolk/ Hampshire.

Offline Julie5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 February 05 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi William
Thankyou for the information
The Lady above was my g grandmother.
She had her child at 17 years old
but thankfully there was a happy ending she married in 1915 and had two more children and lived till she was 95 years old.
;D
Julie
All Sussex