Author Topic: Fred HALL of Southwell  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Fred HALL of Southwell
« on: Thursday 25 June 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about my grandmother's uncle but since he has a common name, it's proving very difficult to find anything about him. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could find out more about this family?:

Fred HALL (b. 1889, Southwell, Notts.)
Married to "Peggy". Fred was unmarried in 1911, living in Southwell. We know Peggy died age 31 of cancer, so they probably married not too long after 1911.
Fred & Peggy had a daughter and son, "Dinky" and Percy. Any ideas for what "Dinky" could be short for because I can't find a Dinky Hall birth anywhere??? Unfortunately I don't know exactly when Dinky and Percy were born but it should have been between 1911 and 1920.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fred HALL of Southwell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
Not much help in the search-but was Fred b 1888 - not 1889??

Birth reg freeBMD
Fred Hall
Jun qtr 1888
Southwell
7b 472

do you know where percy and "Dinky" were born???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 09 02:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, Fred was born in 1888 not 1889. I'll correct that now...don't know how I got a year out.

Unfortunately I don't know where Dinky and Percy were born. As I said Fred was in Southwell in 1911 but he could easily have moved away. Some of his siblings went to Nottingham, some to Beeston. His oldest brother Walter moved to London and his sister Lois lived in Selston, Notts. So when he married, he could have gone anywhere. Just looking at FreeBMD now it doesn't seem that he stayed within the Southwell district. I also searched for deaths of Peggy Hall (and Margaret, any other variants?) age 31 with no results.

I did begin a search of the death index for Fred and his brothers which quickly turned to failure. Though I didn't search many years at all, there was one possible entry for Fred Hall, died Dec 1948, age 59, Eastbourne. Pretty sure it's not the right one though.

I don't know if it's possible to progress further without more information.

Alexander

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

This could be a blind alley or correct, you will have to look into it to decide.

Peggy is usually short for Margaret but you never know.

Marriage:

Fred Hall + Beatrice J Dickinson Worksop 7b 96 Oct-Dec 1914

If Beatrice was nicknamed Peegy then their daughter could be nicknamed  Dinky after her mothers maiden name! Who knows?

Worksop is not that far from Southwell (40miles) so they could have met and married. He would be about 26.

There is a Beatrice Joan Dickinson born 24 2 1889 to George William and Ruth Worksop Priory Father was a butcher and lived at Beighton. NFHS

The only Fred Hall I can find on NFHS baptisms at the right time is:

Frederick Cecil Hall to Francis + Priscilla 4.4.1886 Southwell Innkeeper

Bear in mind not all parishes are covered.

Kind regards

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the ideas, Jane. I just reread my notes on Fred and I saw that I wrote "West Ham" at some point but with no other notes and I can't remember writing it. It's very annoying that I didn't write anything else. Perhaps Fred went to London like his older brother Walter, I'll have to check on that...

Regarding Fred's baptism, it would have probably have been at Holy Trinity Southwell not the Minster. My aunt is going to look at the original registers for me soon since many are still at the church.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 February 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to update this thread on some possible new success with Fred. I believe he married Marguerite Ethel "Peggy?" KNIGHT (b. 1899, Pokesdown, Hampshire) in 1916 in Wandsworth, London. Marguerite died in 1931 (age 32) in West Ham - which is where my grandmother knew them to be. For their children I can find a Frederick W. P. HALL b. 1917 in Greenwich. I believe this may be the "Percy" since Margeurite's father was William Percival Knight, and she had a brother Percival. Also I found a Dinah D. HALL b. 1924 Greenwich. This would probably be Dinky. There are other possible children as well. I can see both Frederick (Percy) and Dinah married in Essex which fits in line with the family moving to West Ham. I think Dinah married a YOUNG and is the Dinah Dulcie Young that died in 1997. I cannot find any death for Frederick or his wife though - perhaps they left England. Also I'm still not sure when Fred (the father) died.

I haven't proven any of this yet but it is looking really promising.  ;D

Just a note: I found Fred's baptism in 1889 at Southwell Holy Trinity.