Author Topic: Request for images of Northumberland Fusiliers WW1  (Read 58352 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Request for images of Northumberland Fusiliers WW1
« Reply #81 on: Friday 14 February 14 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jen, Welcome to Rootschat.  My Uncle was also in he First Batallion of the Northumberland Fusiliers; he was killed, I understnad, near Ypres (Leper) on 18 Jan 1915.  I am sure other more knowledgeable persons on Rootschat have some better ideas, but, I am thinking since this was wintertime, perhaps the First Batallion was "hunkered down" in that area for most of the winter. I hope this helps.  patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 14 February 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think there is a bit of confusion over my post about Cooper Smith. I did this way back in July '10 ( I have been a member of RC since 2004 or thereabouts! It's very nice to be welcomed but I think that was meant for new member Malmarsden, who has put my post into a quote but not said any more about it. ???

For what it's worth, I have now met Cooper's granddaughter and have lots more information on him as well as copies of some of his letters from the trenches close to Ieper.

So - welcome malmarsden - was there something you wanted to know about Ernest Cooper Smith and if so, can I help you?

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline pwentland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin, thanks for all your work here.  I am trying to find out more about my Great Grandfather William Thomas Scott who fought in the first battalion of the Northumberland fusiliers,service no 9340, and is listed by the war graves commission as having been killed on 27th July 1915. He is apparently listed on the Ypres memorial both panels 8 and 12. Someone told me perhaps that means he served with more than one regiment but unfortunately I don`t know any more than that and sadly have no photographs. I`ve only just started research though, so I`ll let you know any more I find out. Can you recommend anywhere to head for more information? Thanks again, Pete Wentland

Offline martinc

• RootsChat Member
  • Austin F Broughton 1896-1915
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, Pete.
I may be able to help you.

William T Scott, Pte 9340, 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.
Landed in France on 29th June 1915, fell 27th July 1915.

Piccadilly Farm, 8 men of Y company killed. It would appear that on the 26th Y company were in the first line trench and that night were heavily shelled and mortared for two hours. I can only assume this was near to midnight, so the deaths were recorded as 27th. The reason I state this is that the 27th was recorded as a quiet day and Y company went back for rest and W company took their place in the trenches.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Martin

P.S. Please view our appeal and I would be very grateful if you could share
http://vimeo.com/109674644?email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfGQyMmQ0MDBlYTkxNTAxY2JkN2Q4YjE0ZWU4MjFlNjgyOTMxfDMzNTk0Njk4fDE0MTM5Njc0NzB8NzcwMQ%3D%3D&utm_campaign=7701&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_source=email
In Memory of L/Corporal 3555 Austin Frank Broughton 'W' Coy. 1st Bn., Northumberland Fusiliers. Died age 19 at Bellewaarde 16th June 1915

Offline Christine Waterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin C  I am very very new to RootsChat and was very interested in everyones posts regarding WW1 casualties.  Bill T had a posted a photograph with a relative's name, part of the Menin Gate memorial.  I am researching local lads who died in WW1 and two I know of have their names on the Menin Gate memorial too.  Does anyone know where I could find a site with a photo of all of the names - I am looking for T Campbell and J Rowbotham, sadly the surnames beginning with C were not on Bill's photo.  This is my first post so I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline martinc

• RootsChat Member
  • Austin F Broughton 1896-1915
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin C  I am very very new to RootsChat and was very interested in everyones posts regarding WW1 casualties.  Bill T had a posted a photograph with a relative's name, part of the Menin Gate memorial.  I am researching local lads who died in WW1 and two I know of have their names on the Menin Gate memorial too.  Does anyone know where I could find a site with a photo of all of the names - I am looking for T Campbell and J Rowbotham, sadly the surnames beginning with C were not on Bill's photo.  This is my first post so I look forward to hearing from you.
Hi. The best place to go is the Great War Forum, you can find it via Google. Once joined you will find a wealth of information.  Some members of the forum live near the Menin Gate and will help you. Also if you mail me I may be able to help with research as that is what I do. Let me know.

Martin
In Memory of L/Corporal 3555 Austin Frank Broughton 'W' Coy. 1st Bn., Northumberland Fusiliers. Died age 19 at Bellewaarde 16th June 1915