Author Topic: OWEN family  (Read 10143 times)

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
OWEN family
« on: Wednesday 08 July 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Would it be possible, please, for someone to look for Richard and Catherine Owen in the Llangwyllog area in the 1871 and 1891 censuses - or, indeed, any other records?  I have them on the 81 census with children John (b1870 in Ceidio), Mary (1875 in Llanfihangel) and Richard (1880 in Llangwyllog) with an address of 'Bodwin,' and the same couple (no children) on the 1911 listed at Bryn Goronwy, Brynteg P.O. (is this Post Office?), in the parish of Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf.  He is shown as aged 72, an employer/farmer, who has had 5 children and that he was born in Llangwyllog. I am really interested in the John Owen, b 1870, and have been chasing him for years.  Am now working on a hunch that the family used the naming patterns that were common at the time. In 1901 I have John, with his wife and children, in south Wales. On that census, he gives his birth place as Llanerchymedd, as he does on the 1911 census also.  Would he have put that if he had been born in Ceidio? Any info would be very gratefully received.
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: OWEN family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi happylady

Welcome to RootsChat.

Can you give us the names of John's wife and children so that we know who we are looking for.

Thanks
Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

here they are in 1891 RG12; Piece: 4678; Folio 40; Page 11

Parc Ga*
only Richard aged 11 is at home with his parents.

Where did your John marry?
Do you have his marriage certificate with a father Richard?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
*******IGNORE THIS***************

I've found a John Owen b 1870 in Llanerchymedd in the 1881 census as a boarder at 27 Church St, Beaumaris the home of Richard Lloyd who is a Calvanistic Methodist Minister.  There are 3 other boarders listed, ages 11-14, and all described as scholars.

The reference is RG11; Piece: 5572; Folio: 69; Page: 7

Linda

*******IGNORE THIS***************
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
There is a small village called Ceidio about a mile north of Llanerchymedd, and the 1881 census does say Anglesea (sic), Ceidio not  Caernarvon, Ceidio which is the one near Pwllheli.

So using Llanerchymedd in the later census returns seems quite reasonable.

Linda
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
In 1901 I have John, with his wife and children, in south Wales. On that census, he gives his birth place as Llanerchymedd, as he does on the 1911 census also. 

Are you sure this is the right John Owen?  I've found one in the 1901 census living in Coedana which is about 2 miles SE of Llanerchymedd. He is an agricultural labourer.  Also listed are

Margaret Owen Wife born abt 1868 Bodedern, Anglesey
Evan Owen  son born abt 1892  Bryngwran, Anglesey
Kate Owen  daughter born abt 1900 Llanerchymedd, Anglesey

Ref RG13; Piece: 5294; Folio: 9; Page: 9.

In 1891 there's also a John Owen  born Llanerchymedd abt 1872 listed as a farm labourer working for a farmer Robert Roberts in Llanfaes (near Beaumaris)

Ref RG12; Piece: 4663; Folio 27; Page 2

Given that the census return was probably filled in by Robert Roberts rather than John himself, the discrepancy on the birth date may not be significant.  On the other hand there seem to be a lot of John Owens in Wales!!

Linda

SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Please can I just link this- it is relevant to the search but out of date with info- I just thought that perhaps it would be good to be aware of what has happened previously  :D There is a much earlier one too but as happylady has said- Owens/Jones is very hard  :(

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376583.msg2611115.html#msg2611115

I noticed that there is a David Owen as brother in law in 1901 and he is born Ffestiniog as M E (Mary) the wife. I wonder which if any of this is an error- whose brother is he really?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Happylady,

What name does Mary have on the children's birth certificates - is it just Mary or Mary E.... (Elizabeth/Ellen??)

heywood

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 July 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
To Linda and Heywood - Thank you SO much for your interest. To answer your questions -

John Owen (b.1870) married Mary Elizabeth Jones (b.either 1872,3 or 4 in Festiniog) but I haven't been able to discover a marriage for them.  If only, then I think my problem would be solved.  I did get one cert. for Sept. 1890, but it was wrong (claimed by someone on another list.) Their children were Richard (1894), Anne Ellen (1896), William (1897), John David (1900) and Kate Mary (1904) - my grandmother. I have her birth certificate and even that has an error because  Mary gave her maiden name as also being Owen.  I even contacted the ONS registrar who, in turn, contacted the local register office in Pontypridd, who confirmed that Mary had given her maiden name as Owen. However, I do know that the family I have on the 1901 and 1911 censuses in Tonypandy are the right ones, as I was lucky enough to know 4 of the 5 'children.' 

(Incidentally, Linda, I also wondered about the John Owen boarding at Church Street, Beaumaris, in 1881 and I guess it could still be him.)

I, too, have wondered about the David Owen shown as brother in law on the 1901.  Don't know why he is shown as Owen, though, as I think this was Mary's brother, which would mean he was a Jones.  We'll probably never know.

Heywood - can I ask you, please, where is the Parc Ga* you identified?

Again, very many thanks for your interest.  I always think everything helps to build up a picture.  This avenue (seeking Richard and Catherine) is because of my idea about using the naming pattern.  I could be wrong, of course.  If only I could find the marriage of John Owen and Mary Jones, it might answer questions - so long as they told the truth!

Dianne (born Tonyrefail, now in Somerset)
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees