Author Topic: Where's 'Norton'?  (Read 7231 times)

Offline greggus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where's 'Norton'?
« on: Saturday 26 February 05 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody heard of a place called Norton in the West Yorkshire district? (Or even a little further afield, I suppose)It's come off an 1871 census return and I need the info to track down a birth cert. from @1843.  It's not the Norton S. of Sheffield.  It could be a misprint and be 'Horton' in Bradford, couldn't it?!!! (most of my family history is centred around Leeds/Bradford at that time).
Watson, Leeds, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Halifax,
Nicholl, Halifax

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Where's 'Norton'?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 05 20:03 GMT (UK) »
These are Norton :

Norton       NZ4421  Durham  Stockton   Clevel   Tees       N East   Durham   

Norton       SE5415  Yorkshire, West Riding  Donc'ter   S York   Donc'ter   York&H   S York   

Norton        SE7971  Yorkshire, East Riding             N York   Ryedale    N York   N York 

Information supplied by http://www.abcounties.co.uk

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 05 22:51 GMT (UK) »
HI, IF ITS NORTON WEST RIDING THEN ITS LIKLEY TO BE NORTON NEAR DONCASTER, ABOUT 11MILES FROM WHERE I LIVE, WHO ARE YOU LOOKING FOR, YOU CAN GET THE CERT FROM DONCASTER REGISTER OFFICE IF ITS THE RIGHT NORTON

MOIRA
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline greggus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 05 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm very confused!  The only clues I've got are a marriage in Leeds in 1867 (name:Sarah Ann Duncan Wright), a Barnsley census of 1871(Sarah Ann Watson - my surname), giving the birthplace as Norton, Yorkshire and a death in Leeds in 1877 (Sarah Ann Donkin Watson), age 34.

Now, you'd think there'd be enough clues there to get the right birth cert, wouldn't you?! I've checked births for 1843 and roundabout but there was no-one registered as Sarah Ann 'Duncan' Wright and no-one registered at Doncaster under S.A. Wright.  There were plenty of girls born around that time in Yorkshire with this name but now it's just guesswork and I don't know where to start.  Sheffield looked a sound bet, but it was wrong!  I've tried marriages from 1837 (on Free BMD)for the father's name (Edward) and there are a few  of them as well.

Maybe SADW wasn't born in Norton but just thinks she was!!  How inconsiderate can you get?!!

Anyhow, there you are. You did ask!

Thanks again

Graham
Watson, Leeds, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Halifax,
Nicholl, Halifax

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
There is a Norton which is an area in Sheffield. If it's on a certificate then that could be a registration area?

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
Could it be NOTTON a few miles south of Wakefield, perhaps misheard as Norton.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:53 BST (UK) »
a death in Leeds in 1877 (Sarah Ann Donkin Watson), age 34.

Perhaps she was born Sarah Ann DUNKIN. There's a birth reg  Mar 1843, Doncaster vol 22, page 81, Doncaster includes Norton births.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
I would at start with the marriage certificate 1867 in Leeds of Sarah Ann

Work on her dad's name, his occupation and his status of life.

Work on (If given) Sarah Ann's occupation and abode at time of marriage and any witness.

The family unit Sarah Ann came from.

Example:- say her occupation was a maid in domestic service servant in Leeds and her dad was Thomas a farm labourer or 'Ag lab'. The Norton is more likely in the countryside and her job as a maid would explain why she lived in Leeds. (If she did)

The father most likely had (But not always the case) a family unit over say over 20 years of siblings. Depending where Sarah Ann fitted in this unit, as say a first born or last born or in between.

The siblings of the possible father; Their birth places given on censuses, between census 10 years should build up a picture of movement of this family unit.  (If any).

If her dads occupation was a stagecoach teamers driver or railway engine driver could mean he moved about nationally

If say Sarah Ann was a teacher and her dad a doctor that would indicate medium wealth and education. ie:- Doctors could have trained at Edinburgh

Therefore search the census years more on occupations, status wealth as well as place of birth.

It not impossible but largely unlikely a scullery maid would be the daughter of a consultant surgeon

Try finding or researching the possible parents family unit picture and any movement or resettlement in census years.

Her dads Will/probate or Administration of his estate (If he left one) or poor law records, newspaper 19th century on Gale (Most libraries have online access at home for its members of 19th century Newspapers)

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar

Her dads burial place, his death or obituary in a newspaper, buried say in in a graveyard with possible grave headstone with other names on it or group of near gravestones with same family surname.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobbby,

The marriage cert is online at Ancestry, (sorry I should have mentioned it).

Oct 7 1867 at St Peter's Leeds

Sarah Ann Duncan Wright age 24, spinster, add: St Peter's Square, Leeds, father Edward Wright a farmer. 

William Watson age 33, widower, spring maker, Duke St, father Thomas Watson (smith)

Witnesses: Thomas Hart, Annie Hart