Author Topic: Mrs. W. Mann of Vancouver  (Read 11962 times)

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mrs. W. Mann of Vancouver
« on: Monday 13 July 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi looking for any possible information on a Mrs. W. Mann. I know she was born in Ireland maiden name Simpson, however do not know her first name. She was born sometime between 1880-1911 to James and Elizabeth/Eliza Simpson. At some point immigrated to Canada and settled in Vancouver as of 1942. Do not know if it was before or after her marriage.

Any information is helpful!
Torrie
Scott, Coulson, Simpson, Livingstone, Odgers, McBride, McAlister, McInnes, Aitichison, McCallum, Cameron, McKinnon, Fullerton, Robertson, Fairbairn, Craig, Draffin,

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs. W. Mann of Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Torrie,

William Mann married Victoria Simpson 7 Jan 1914 South Vancouver.

Victoria Mann died 17 Jan 1958 70 years

She is buried at the Masonic Cemetery in Burnaby BC

William is buried at the Masonic Cemetery Burnaby also.

I went onto the British Columbia Vital Statistics Indexes and pulled up their marriage . I looked for William's death

but there were quite a few  and I did not know which one was his.If you want   the original  marriage and death

registration for Victoria perhaps someone from the list who lives in BC would do a lookup for you.

The registrations are pretty extensive and provide quite a bit of information .

Hope this help with your searching.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 02:58 BST (UK) »
I see her on the Canadian Passenger Lists-arriving on 12 June 1914 in Quebec onboard the Calgarian. Her age is listed as 27,she was born in Ireland,is a Shop Assistant and is going to Vancouver to be married to William Mann.

Maureen

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 04:09 BST (UK) »
Further to Maureen's post, here's a link to the passenger list image at Library and Archives Canada (line 6):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06p7/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Not to be picky but if she arrived in Canada in June 1914 how could she have married in January 1914 in Victoria.
Karen
Kerr/Lauchlan/Montgomery/Cook-Dalry, Ayrshire
Stewart/Wylie/Small/Jack-Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Davidson/Urquhart/Lindsay-Dreghorn, Ayrshire
Henderson-Kilbirnie, Ayrshire

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
 :-[ :-[ :-[
 Well,it's nice to see someone's paying attention!!! I think Lilybell may have meant the marriage was July 1,1914. (well,that's what it says on A*try anyway).

Good spotting,Karen. :) :) :)

Maureen

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry for the tpyo error on William Mann marriage yes it should read 1 July 1914.That info from British Columbia Vital Statistics Indexes.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 05:06 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for all your help and information! I'm still really new at researching and have yet to find all the great and FREE resources!

I also find that having relatives coming from Ireland is a real pain so I'm very glad she immigrated to Canada.

Recently found out that she has a brother Albert who immigrated to Canada also at some point and may have been a passenger along with his family on the 1947 train crash in Winnipeg...his wife and 2 daughters (if this is indeed a connection) are listed as dead on the website while Albert and his granddaughter are listed in good condition.

Its amazing what you can find!

thanks again
Torrie
Scott, Coulson, Simpson, Livingstone, Odgers, McBride, McAlister, McInnes, Aitichison, McCallum, Cameron, McKinnon, Fullerton, Robertson, Fairbairn, Craig, Draffin,

Offline betsy80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 10 03:03 BST (UK) »
Victoria Simpson Mann was my grandmother. (I think that makes us second cousins once removed.) She did indeed marry William Mann in Vancouver on July 1, 1914. He had come to Canada three years before and worked to earn the money to send her the cost of her passage. They had two children, Aileen (1915) and Clarence (July 27, 1920 - my father). She was a shop assistant in a music store in Dublin before she left Ireland. I have the travelling clock she brought with her on the boat and my sister has the silver tea set that her fellow employees gave her when she left Dublin. I don't know much about her family in Ireland, except that she had a brother Jim Simpson who had a nursery, I think in the outskirts of Dublin. I could send you a photo of her, if you're interested. From your name, I might gather that you are a Victoria. I have a niece whose name is also Victoria - Tory for short. I am not currently at home, but when I return I will send you more information. What would you like to know?