Author Topic: Information needed on two Manchester pubs photo  (Read 9094 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Information needed on two Manchester pubs photo
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 07:19 BST (UK) »
MIGKY has come up with the Alexandra Hotel which was on the junction of Moss Lane East and Princess Road (opposite the Harp (previously Newcastle & Scottish)  brewery). It was known locally as the 'Big Alex' and was owned by Threlfall's/Chester's (later Whitbread). It was demolished about 30 years ago I think.

There was also a 'Little Alex' - officially called the 'Alexandra Park Hotel' which was a approx 300/400 yards away, just off Moss Lane at no 3 Alexandra Road. This was certainly a Wilson's house and would seem to be the pub in the photo. In later years it was owned by Vaux, but last time I was round there it was boarded up.
jfp is right there was the big alex+the little alex,ive fallen out of both of them,ime pretty sure that the photo,is the little alex.
happy days ;D

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline jfp1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 07:37 BST (UK) »
The boys on the "Little Alex" photo are all wearing buttonholes as if they are off to a wedding. Not many ladies present tho, other than one in the centre of the front row and a couple of others lurking at the back.

Perhaps some Robinson's fan may recognise the other pub. Robbies site says they acquired Kays Atlas Brewery Ltd of Ardwick in 1929 so the pub in question was probably rebranded as Robbies after that.
http://www.frederic-robinson.co.uk/robinsons/

It looks like a street corner pub that's expanded into the house next door.
Looks like no 110 on the door.

Perhaps it was a ladies' day out and the girls were waiting for a chara'  to
the seaside. ???

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
MIGKY has come up with the Alexandra Hotel which was on the junction of Moss Lane East and Princess Road (opposite the Harp (previously Newcastle & Scottish)  brewery). It was known locally as the 'Big Alex' and was owned by Threlfall's/Chester's (later Whitbread). It was demolished about 30 years ago I think.

There was also a 'Little Alex' - officially called the 'Alexandra Park Hotel' which was a approx 300/400 yards away, just off Moss Lane at no 3 Alexandra Road. This was certainly a Wilson's house and would seem to be the pub in the photo. In later years it was owned by Vaux, but last time I was round there it was boarded up.
jfp is right there was the big alex+the little alex,ive fallen out of both of them,ime pretty sure that the photo,is the little alex.
happy days ;D

mack

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/Display.php?irn=46144&QueryPage=%2F confirms the which public house it is
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline jfp1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
I don't think there is any doubt about the identity of the pub in the first picture but the Kay's house in the second picture is obviously (to me, anyway) a completely different place and we've not had a hint of a name for that yet.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Playing with the unidentified pub in imaging software, and looking at the windows, there's the huge heart shape, which you can see any way, but I don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be a CAT on the window.  Part of a word?  There are other bits of lettering/decoration, too.

Curlywurly, I wonder if you'd mind me having a mail with the original on?  Then I could play without all the extra shadows from the sixe reduction?  Or maybe you'll get the ]]]] a real expert on the go!!

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline jfp1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 August 09 08:26 BST (UK) »
I forwarded the Kays pub picture to Robbies brewery to see if anyone there recognised it and received the folowling reply:-

Kays Atlas Brewery

Your email dated the 29th July has been shown to me.  Although I have the longest experience at the Brewery, I am afraid I have no idea which Kays pub is shown in the picture that you attached to your email.

Most of Kays houses were in Manchester and have long since been demolished or, in one or two cases, they were bombed in the war.

I have never seen an existing Kays property looking anything like the one in your picture.

Yours sincerely

Ah well, it was worth a try. :(

Thanks to the chairman and his secretary for taking the time to look at the photo and send a reply.

Offline curlywurly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 August 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
I forwarded the Kays pub picture to Robbies brewery to see if anyone there recognised it and received the folowling reply:-

Kays Atlas Brewery

Your email dated the 29th July has been shown to me.  Although I have the longest experience at the Brewery, I am afraid I have no idea which Kays pub is shown in the picture that you attached to your email.

Most of Kays houses were in Manchester and have long since been demolished or, in one or two cases, they were bombed in the war.

I have never seen an existing Kays property looking anything like the one in your picture.

Yours sincerely

Thanks to the chairman and his secretary for taking the time to look at the photo and send a reply.

Thank you so much for doing this for me. Shame we didn't get the answer we would have liked, but it was kind of you to go to the trouble of emailing for me. And yes, I would also like to thank the chairman and his secretary for takinf the time to reply.

This is a fantastic site, with lovely people. Thank you everyone for all your help  ;D

Offline curlywurly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 August 09 12:39 BST (UK) »

Kays Atlas Brewery

Yours sincerely

Offline jfp1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 August 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Update on 'Little Alex' situation - it's gone - went past today and in the way of the 'Fallowfield', 'Seymour', 'Princess' and many other pubs in Manchester, it's been demolished and replaced by a block of flats. :(