Author Topic: Retreat Place, Parkstone.  (Read 6967 times)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Retreat Place, Parkstone.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 August 09 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo and Red'

Thanks so very much to both of you for taking the time to research this area for me.It is greatly appreciated. I never expected such a wonderful response.
Again very many thanks.  Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 August 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
As I see you're not too far away Dud, the local history centre at Poole Museum must be worth a visit, if you then went on to the area of Retreat Place (Ashley Road) it would give you a feel of the area, also there is an old photos book of Parkstone which is usually on the bookstall of the Dorset Family History Society, might be worth contacting them.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Red'

Thanks for your suggestions.  Will try and fit it in some time.

Regards  Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline sanderton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 October 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo.

The 1891 ref is RG12/1639 page 12.  The family listed at No 10 were my rellies.  Harry, head, was my gt. grandfather and his son Mark my grandfather.
I was curious as to where they lived. The family originated in Cranborne. When Harry and Tamar married they moved to Constitution Hill and then to Retreat Place. In the 1898/9s the family moved to Camberley in Surrey this being a developing town. Both Harry and Mark had business as builders employing about twenty men.
I was curious as to where they were living, but if the place no longer exists
is not worth visiting.
Thanks for your help. Dud.

Hi, seem we are cousins of some kind as Harry/Tamar are my my great great grandparents via their daughter Clara, who died when I was two.

I would be very interested in any information you have on them - I only have what I've managed to track down from census records online.

stuart at beaconhill dot me dot uk

BTW, 10 Retreat TERRACE Parkstone is where I beive my grandfather was born, perhaps Clara inherited it?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 October 09 15:32 BST (UK) »
According to a relationship chart I have, from the information you have provided the relationship is second cousin once removed. Hope that's useful.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Wellman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi from what i can work out retreat place is now salisbury road the houses opposite the liberal club are the 10 houses of retreat place,