Author Topic: 1841 census lookup - PORTER  (Read 3653 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
1841 census lookup - PORTER
« on: Wednesday 19 August 09 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am wondering if someone could look up the 1841 census for Nottingham for the following families:

John Porter & wife Ann - Occ Chairmaker in Nottingam (usually St Mary Parish)
Children baptised:
Ann Porter 1829 Vassal St, to John & Ann Porter, chairmaker
Thomas Porter 1831 Sheridan St, to John and Ann Porter
Elizabeth Porter 1833 Sheridan St, to John & Ann Porter, chair bottomer
John Porter 1836 Kings St, to J & Ann Porter, chair bottom maker
George Porter 1845 Pump St, to John & Ann Porter, chairmaker

So I suspect they would be living in Kings Street or Pump Street, Nottingham in 1841

Also:

The widow and any surviving children of:

Joseph Porter & wife Mary - Occ Plasterer in Nottingham
Children baptised:
Selina Porter 1826 to Joseph and Mary Porter, Greyfriars gate, plasterer
James Porter 1831 to Joseph and Mary Porter, Sheridan Street, plasterer

I believe that Joseph died in 1832 and that Selina may have died young in 1828. I would suspect though that Mary may still be able to be found in 1841 widowed with her son James (b 1831). She may have older children with her possibly born in London.

Any help would be great with these ones, I am trying to get ages any other information as they are a bit of a brick wall for me at present  :-\

Thanks  :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup - PORTER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

This looks like one of the families

Robin Hood Yard
Nottingham
HO107 869/ 3/37

John Porter 42 Chair maker
Ann Porter 42
Joseph Porter 18 Chair maker
Ann Porter 12 Embroiderer Hose
George Porter 1

All said yes to being born in County

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 09 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

That certainly looks like them to me  ;D

Do they happen to show up on the 1851 census? I am thinking that the George (aged 1) might be a younger child that died, or that he wasn't baptised until he was 5...in 1845...the 1851 might shed some light on this.

Interesting to see a Joseph with them too, perhaps he was named for the earlier Joseph? I haven't got a baptism for him..he would be born abt 1823, will have to check.

I am trying to figure out the relationship between John Porter the chairmaker and Joseph Porter the plasterer, they seem to have lived together in Sheridan Street in about 1831-32 but I can't figure out if they are brothers or cousins....or not even related!

Thanks for the help  :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

This looks like them in 1851.

20 Pump St
Nottingham
HO107/2132/752

John Porter 52 Broker
Ann 52
Joseph 23 Chairmaker
George 11
Joseph Trier grandson 4 born Southwell
plus 3 lodgers

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 09 13:40 BST (UK) »

Hi again

A few more baptisms that look like the same family. All at St Marys

Lavina 11.12.1826 to John & Ann Porter - Chairmaker Vassal St
Benjamin 19.12.1824 to John & Ann Porter - Chair Bottomer, Castle st
Joseph 26.8.1822 to John & Ann Porter - Chairmaker, Tyler St

A possible marriage

John Porter m Ann Wesley 29.11.1819 St Marys

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

me again

I just noticed that the entry you have for Thomas 14.2.1831 gives John's occupation as Plasterer not Chairmaker, Sheriden St. So I think John & Joseph must be related.

I also found this family in 1841 also at Robin Hood Yard

William Porter 45 FWK
Louiza 45
Mary 14

all said No to being born in County.

I also checked the last known address for Mary & James (Sheridan St) for 1841, but no Porters there. 

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 09 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thanks, you've been busy  ;D

The 1851 sure looks like them again, so it seems that they did not baptise the littlest one, George,  until he was 5, I wonder why?

Thanks for the earlier baptisms, that makes more sense now  ;)

I am pretty sure that these felllows are related in some way as like you say they are together in 1831 and show as having the same profession (I think John's may be a mistake though as he seems to be pretty set as a chairmaker everywhere else!).

It is really Joseph Porter the plasterer that I am trying to get more information on, as I am researching a family of plasterers that had son called Joseph (born 1790 in Sheffield), they lived in Nottingham for most of their lives though. This fellow matches in every particular except for John's presence, as the Joseph I am looking for has a brother called John (b abt 1804) who married Hannah Burridge in Wiltshire in 1834, he is listed as a bachelor on his marriage.

I was hoping this Joseph and John may be cousins.....but there is very little I can do to prove that!

The only definite things I know about my Joseph is that he was baptised in 1790 in Sheffield to Robert Porter and Hannah Hall. He was a plasterer, and died before 1833 (according to his mother's probate papers). He also had a daughter Matilda Porter who was born in Islington, Middlesex in abt 1821, she is living with her uncle Christopher Porter in Salisbury, Wiltshire in 1841.

Joseph had at least 3 brothers and a sister that lived to adulthood, they tend to follow each other about and other than Joseph who was born in Sheffield, where his parents were married, the others are all born in Nottingham. They all lived for a time in Nottingham, London, Salisbury Wiltshire and later Folkestone Kent (though Joseph was deceased by this stage).

It is just one big puzzle  ::)

Jenny